Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 19:21   #1
Jamesey

Pounding on Your Door at 0 Dark 30

So you wake up to someone pounding on your apartment door and yelling to open up. The time is 4am and it becomes apparent he's at the wrong apartment because he's calling someone's name to open up and come out. You yell back that there's no one here by that name, he's got the wrong place, so go away. Angry/drunk guy doesn't buy it, keeps pounding, yelling, and starts throwing his body against the door in an apparent attempt to break it in. You have a phone and a loaded gun nearby. What would you do? What order would you do it? Call 911? Grab gun first? Verbally warn the guy that you are armed?

This is based on a real scenario that happened to an aquaintance recently. I have my opinion; I'm interested in yours.
Old 05-13-2013, 19:31   #2
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
So you wake up to someone pounding on your apartment door and yelling to open up. The time is 4am and it becomes apparent he's at the wrong apartment because he's calling someone's name to open up and come out. You yell back that there's no one here by that name, he's got the wrong place, so go away. Angry/drunk guy doesn't buy it, keeps pounding, yelling, and starts throwing his body against the door in an apparent attempt to break it in. You have a phone and a loaded gun nearby. What would you do? What order would you do it? Call 911? Grab gun first? Verbally warn the guy that you are armed?

This is based on a real scenario that happened to an aquaintance recently. I have my opinion; I'm interested in yours.
What did the the acquaintance do?

I have a metal mesh door before the actual main door. so I would probably open the door and have the conversation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:38   #3
gkring

Grab gun
Grab phone and call 911 while heading out the back door/window if possible. If I have no exit then I hole up with the family in the safest room possible. If he wants to break down multiple doors because he is too drunk to realize he is lost then he just might get shot. In reality if he is that drunk it probably wont be necessary to shoot him. Simple takedown manuever or a frying pan upside the head would be enough.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
gkring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:43   #4
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Mrs. LTB calls 911 while I cover the door with my shotty or G-30SF.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:46   #5
GlockPride
Glock 23

Defense first; notify second. You can't dial 911 if youre preoccuppied fighting and they can't get there fast enough. Defend yourself and live to call 911. Shooting through a door and the perp's actions dictate legal options of recourse.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:47   #6
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

Simple, call 911 with one hand, and cover the door with your gun with the other hand, and let the cops deal with the A hole.

Safest and easiest. Nothing to gain by confronting the dumb ass.

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member

Last edited by FloridaGun; 05-13-2013 at 19:48..
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:52   #7
jthrelf

This is probably the most likely scenario that I would encounter where I live. Third floor apartment so windows aren't much of a concern, and the door seems like the only valid entry point. It's pretty heavy with a deadbolt and chain lock, so I think even a drunky would have a rather difficult time gaining entry.

After thoroughly crapping my pants, I would immediately grab the glock and phone and take cover behind my bed or couch. A verbal warning will have been given already. Dial 911 with a concise description of the situation and my location. Let the dispatchers know I am armed and to have officers announce themselves before entry (I'm sure this is the norm anyway).

If entry by assailant was made, shots would be fired immediately.

To clarify: my steps would be grab gun, verbal warning, dial 911 - in that order

Last edited by jthrelf; 05-13-2013 at 19:56..
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:53   #8
carbuncle
is not cool.

I had a similar experience 10 years ago when my then-girlfriend and I moved into our first apartment together. We figured it was some drunk tool who knew the last resident and ignored it, as hard as it was to do so. The second time was even more difficult, the third time was on a Sunday morning: I jumped out of bed wearing only my skivvies, thoroughly pissed off, whipped open the door and screamed ""WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?" in the face of the two losers standing there. The guy, it was a scabby-looking couple, nervously asked for some dude, to which I replied " **** NO, HE DOESN'T LIVE HERE!!!" and slammed the door in their face so hard the walls shook. Never had that problem again.

Posted from my car phone.
Old 05-13-2013, 19:57   #9
TK-421

What I would do is grab my Glock and a phone, call the police, tell them I'm armed, I have someone violently trying to break through my door and the moment he does so I will consider my life to be in danger since he is being so aggressive, and I will defend myself until I no longer fear for my life. I would like it if the police would announce their presence when they arrive, so I know it's not some buddies the guy brought along, and then we'll sort it out when they get here. If the guy is dead when they get here, sucks to be him. If the guy is alive, I'll discuss charges with the police when they get there.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 20:02   #10
ohsnapzombies

happened to me at the ol' college town i used to live in. drunk kid at 3am...lived in the other building and his apt was in the same spot mine was in the building. guess he stumbled over and tried to open the door but his key didn't work. i woke up to banging and cursing about letting someone in. grabbed the ol' 17 and proceeded to the door. explained he's at the wrong place and he began to bang harder. i opened the door to yell at him, almost forcing himself in, he saw me draw. immediately he turned back around, sat on the steps, cried for about 15 mins and then his friends ran around the corner and brought him home.....guess they were looking for him.

he knocked later that day and apologized......he didn't remember he had a gun pointed at him.

Last edited by ohsnapzombies; 05-13-2013 at 20:03..
ohsnapzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 20:15   #11
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Gun would already be in my and, since I had to get up and walk downstairs. Call 911 and hope they arrive before Darwin intervenes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 21:34   #12
brokenprism

2 a.m., knocking on apartment sliding glass door. Peeked through the curtains and saw a tall ethnic gentleman. I racked a round into a Colt Govt. When I peeked again, he was backing up and apologizing, then he left.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 21:46   #13
ScottieG59

Of course, sometimes it is the police telling you that they recovered your car that, without your knowledge, was stolen an hour earlier. It helps to have a gun that can be hidden to avoid being shot as you angrily answer the door.

I think this scenario would be great for pepper spray and a club or bat.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 21:48   #14
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
2 a.m., knocking on apartment sliding glass door. Peeked through the curtains and saw a tall ethnic gentleman. I racked a round into a Colt Govt. When I peeked again, he was backing up and apologizing, then he left.
Well I'd already have a round racked in my SD pistol, but that's a topic for another thread.

I'd grab G21, call 911 from cellphone (to get co-workers on the line, not local drones) and leave the line open while events unfolded. It'd be great to have a recording of the guy breaking in, me shouting a warning, the tinkle of urine hitting the floor (mine, not his) and then some loud booms.
Old 05-13-2013, 21:53   #15
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Call 911...weapon at my side already and guard door. What happens next depends on brain power of perp and strength of door.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 21:57   #16
VinnieD

Any knock after dark is automatically answered with a gun in hand anyway, so I guess that's the default option. Both of my doors have a window on them, so I'm going to visibly show him the gun pointed right at him, while calling 911.

VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 22:01   #17
Benton

Simple: Call 911 with one hand, while holding your gun in the other hand!
Hopefully the police will arrive before he breaks the door down and worse comes to worse.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 22:24   #18
Gunnut 45/454

The wife would be on the phone with 911 informing them they'd better step it up cause if said drunk breaks in he'll be needing a bucket to clean up the mess once said drunk gets 5 rounds of buckshot through his ass! Cause I don't give anyone a pass when they force there way into my home-- drunk kid, drunk anyone don't care you die!
Old 05-13-2013, 23:06   #19
Zeebra724

1) Get my G17 out of my nightstand and rack the slide.
2) Have the wife and boys get downstairs to the basement.
3) Have the wife call 911 and give her the loaded Winchester 20 ga.
4) Head upstairs and wait for the drunk in the living room. If I have time I'm loading my 12 ga. and using the Glock as backup to finish him off if by some miracle he breaks through the door and survives 3 blasts from my Remington 1187.
5) Turning on all the lights in the living room and praying that the cops get there first but not counting on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 23:14   #20
Jamesey

Here's what happened (this info comes second hand): the aquaintence, we'll call him Joe, initially told angry drunk he had the wrong place. Joe proceeded to have a lengthy conversation thru the door (which did not yield) that the guy he was looking for didn't live there, he was calling the police, he had a gun and would use it if the door was forced, etc. Joe made the call and police arrived before things got really ugly. Angry drunk was being egged on by friends in the nearby pool area; don't know if any of them went downtown. No shots were fired, no one was hurt beyond fr***led nerves and lost sleep.

I think I would not have engaged in any conversation beyond telling the guy he had the wrong place. I would've had a G30 in right hand and phone in left calling 911. Apartment was on 2nd floor, door was only way in or out; bailing out a window was not a good option. I think I'd be inclined to shoot if the door had come open but the guy would likely have been unarmed. Shooting an unarmed intruder isn't likely to go well for me. I would rather not shoot unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I guess we could say Joe did the right thing since he's alive and no one got hurt. The only point I fault him on was conversing thru the door. He has a CCW permit and should know about shoot/don't shoot limits. I think this is his first dose of "reality" outside of the classroom. Hopefully he's learned something for the future.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like most of you are on the same page. Stay safe.