Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:17   #1
Glockumollie

I hate glock sights

You know I love glock pistols. I believe they are one of if not the most reliable handguns to be had. I recently have become a glocker mainly because they are so reliable and my new 26 and 30sf are as accurate as any match pistols I've ever fired. But the one thing I hate about glock pistols are the sights. Its always been very important for me to have a good sight and a good trigger on my guns if I'm really going to do any serious shooting with them. My 26 shoots about 6 inches high at 15yards and the 30sf is about 4inches high at the same distance. Neither is shooting right down the center and that is much more important to me but why oh why do they put a $3.00 set of sights on such a good gun. I would like some input from you all who have more experience with these guns. I need a simple low profile adjustable sight for each of these pistols. Would you guys give me some good ideas of what will work. I used to have bomar's on my match guns and I love them but these are both carry guns so I just want something that is very robust and I can move windage and elevation. I don't have a hundred dollars for each pistol to spend so please keep that in mind when you give me your idea. Hoping to here from a few of you soon, thanks and good shooting.

Last edited by Glockumollie; 05-09-2013 at 03:23.. Reason: spelling
Glockumollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:15   #2
Ranger357
Just pixels

I love the $3 sights on Glocks, because I'm going to be changing them out to my preference anyway, so why have the additonal cost towards something thats likely going to set on the bottom of my parts box forever anyway.

For adjustable sights Dawson Precision has one that uses the .285 front seems to be most popular, it's still pretty tall though, so you mgiht want to get it buried. I tend to prefer a fixed rear Warren/Sevigney with wide notch. With the wide range of front sights heights you should be able to get the elevation perfect anyway, without having to deal with the higher adjustables.

For front sights, of course you could go tritum if you think you need that. In competition shooting younger eyes often like black on black for the most precision, while older eyes often like a fiber optic front.

All kinds of options out there though, can;t recall his name right now, but there was even a world top IPSC shooter (Armand?..something??) who preferred the $3 Stock Glock sights on his G-24 to all else.

Last edited by Ranger357; 05-10-2013 at 05:16..
Ranger357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:47   #3
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I prefer the Ameriglo iDot pro. Worked great till my kydex holster ruined the front sight (about 2 weeks). Still using the Ameriglo rear with the plastic Glock front. Most accurate setup I've seen!

Thinking low profile TFO's are next.

Last edited by Paul53; 05-10-2013 at 15:49..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:44   #4
Boot Stomper

I love the factory plastic sights. They allow for a very fast and accurate sight picture. They are not the best at night obviously, but remember most shootings are within 10 feet. Practice instinctive shooting. That is shooting short distances without using the sights. This skill is better than night sights IMO.

And contrary to what a friend once told me, the plastic sights do not rust. I like the guy, but he is not the brightest.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 16:27   #5
Ranger357
Just pixels

He may have been talking about the little metal piece that rides up under the rear plastic sight. I think I did notice some rust coming out from that area on a picture of glock left in flood water in a submerged gunsafe for weeks. Never saw it on any of mine and that was an EXTREME sitution of course.

Something to be said for the "cup and ball" being good for teachging first time shooters as well.
Ranger357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 16:36   #6
6omega7

glock sights

I will have to agree with "boot stomper" and at my age (advanced) I love the big white outline rear with the large white dot post. I can see them. I cannot see the 3 small dot alignment sights that come standard on most other pistols and 1911 style guns. Never had a need for "night sights" and never will. I think it is a fad developed by a great marketing team and will be out of vogue in a few years.
6omega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 16:45   #7
TCMod19
Save it.

You are not alone, there's an expert video on this website where they call Glock Sights a joke. No need to feel bad. I know I always change mine.
Old 05-31-2013, 17:10   #8
Glock 23 Nutter

I like'em, especially the big white cup'n'ball.

Use'em like this... fast, accurate, Glock.

Nutter
Attached Thumbnails
General how-To Help Forum - Click for larger version   General how-To Help Forum - Click for larger version  
Glock 23 Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 00:08   #9
Glockumollie

Having come from some time shooting Bulls-eye I just have always enjoyed the ability to move the point of impact with an adjustable sight. I don't mind the glock std sight picture afforded I just want to be able to move the sight mostly to get the windage on line but also elevation if possible. I would like the Glock white outline adjustable rear sight if not for the fact that it is plastic. If anyone knows where I could get the exact same style in a steal sight I would jump on it right away. Then I'd start working on the best trigger job I could get and finish off with a grip reduction and having the trigger gaurd cut away to reduce glock knuckle and complete a very good grip.That would be for both my 26 and 30sf although my 30sf is amazingly quite acceptable. I think I could leave the trigger alone on that one it feels pretty good. I just can't stand having a firearm without a good zero. Once I get a good center impact using a 6 oclock hold at 25yards I can deal with most range changes out to 100yards. I just hate trying to use Kentucky windage when a good tight zero is possible.
Old 06-02-2013, 00:18   #10
AZ Husker

Why? Because they build the guns as cheaply as possible. I have a coulple of Glocks, but they are hardly quality guns made to attention to detail. That's why they are so cheap to buy.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:33   #11
Glockumollie

To, AZ HUsker, Well I'm sure you will agree that glocks in general are 1 of if not the most reliable handguns in the world. I would think that is why 70% of law enforcement agencies in the USA choose Glock as the std issue sidearm. Also particularly the subcompacts are equally renown for their uncanny accuracy. Yes the ergonomics suck for the most part but after all I would think when it really matters those would be the 1st and second most important things you would want from your weapon if it comes down to a life or death struggle, wouldn't you agree. So really Glock has given a working slob like me an affordable handgun that will give me a decent chance of survival if I do my part and train to use it like my life depended on it. To be honest I was introduced to the 1911 in 1980 and I fell instantly in love with it. And over the years I was blessed to enjoy some success in competition with it. But I must admit I used to have nightmares about my colt 45auto jamming when I needed it to save my life. Why, because time after time over the years I have seen and held some of the most beautiful 1911's that could be put together. And during competition they jammed. If it had really mattered and my life had been on the line I would be dead right now. That is why I finally switched over to these ergonomically wretched, highly reliable, accurate and affordable guns. They just work!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40   #12
TCMod19
Save it.

One correction--70% of law enforcement does not use Glock. Source it. Tip: don't give me 5 yr old Wiki numbers either. No question they are good guns, but 70% is not close to accurate in 2013.
Old 06-02-2013, 15:52   #13
vram74

I would prefer a square instead of a dot for the front sight and also that they be made of steel. The argument that glocks would cost more if metal sights were used is silly because they already cost as much if not more than other high quality guns on the market that feature steel sights. Xd's and M&P's also have more parts, making them more complicated to manufacture. Plastic sights are saving Glock money, not the end user.
vram74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 19:16   #14
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I'm not that fancy on the stock sights on a Glock, so I replace then with a set of Ameriglo I-dots. I do think a square on the front sight instead of a circle would be better, and make the front sight a touch thinner and the rear notch a tad bit wider, just a little since the stock sights seem congested to me.

I would also be okay with a Kahr type over/under setup on Glocks as well. White bar on bottom, square front dot.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 06-02-2013 at 19:17..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 22:00   #15
Glockumollie

TO:tcmod19 Really, only one correction I think I can live with that. Actually I got the information off the Glock.com site wich is really worse than using wiki if you think about it. Anyway even today they say approximately 65% of US Police agencies use a glock but no I don't work for Glock but your right I might as well if I'm going to quote their ads. My bad, OK! THE POINT WAS THEY ARE EXTREMELY RELIABLE AND ACCURATE AND ARE USED BY MANY MANY POLICE FORCES IN AMERICA. (That's all I have to say about that. I don't mind the way the sights look I just want to be able to at least get the windage online without having to pay $150.00 for a sight pusher. If the glock adjustable sight was a steal sight I would be very happy with that.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:25   #16
oldjarhead

I like my Truglo all green fiber optic metal sights. Easy for my eyes to pick up quickly. I agree that factory sights should be decent and sturdy.
oldjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 23:35   #17
Glockumollie

To, oldjarhead, I have seen those and they look good to me also but again I would like very much to be able to move the impact of the bullet by mechanical adjustment. Heck, it cost as much for a sight pusher as it does for the type of sight you just mentioned. Anyone got any feedback on the glock plastic adjustable rear sight. They are very cheap and I like the style also I figure if they break I'll just tap the std plastic fixed that came with the gun back on. Man I'll tell you having a sight that the windage is not centered on just gives me a fit and I just cant feel comfortable with. Sure would love to have a low profile bomar on both my 26 and 30sf. Then I'll spend some money on the best trigger job money can buy for a glock. Then I should be able to settle down and shoot some much better groups. Something else I'm having to deal with is my 54 year old eyes just don't work like a young buck's. Tough one to deal with! Oh well, I know the next thing your going to expect to hear from me is the sun is in my eyes too, right?
Old 06-04-2013, 23:42   #18
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMod19 View Post
You are not alone, there's an expert video on this website where they call Glock Sights a joke. No need to feel bad. I know I always change mine.
Got a link to the expert video?
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:55   #19
2wheeltyson

I have the same problem with my Truglo nite sights on my g26. It consistently shoots 4" high @7 yards with no adjustments for elevation. btw they sell for $100 so i'm not very happy about it.
2wheeltyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:27   #20
Glockumollie

2wheeltyson, Hi, well if your gun is hitting center mass that's the biggest battle already won but you didn't mention that so I presume your windage is satisfactory. So that brings us to elevation. If adjusting a rear sight you probably know the rule is to move the sight in the direction you want to change the impact. I guess the sights you have on it are not adjustable or you would have made a sight correction. So, you can either aim lower center mass or get a taller front sight. I would try benching the gun at 25yards. Shoot a couple 3shot groups using the same aiming point each shot and see where your hitting. It's alot easier to use kentucky windage or elevation in your case at close range. If it looks like something you could live with let it be. If not you might try a taller front sight which lowers the impact of the bullet. Some of the glock experts here at this sight can tell you the specific front sight to lower the strike a given amount. Otherwise your going to be in the same boat as me. Looking for a good adjustable rear sight for your g26. I have the same gun and I got the cheapy stock glock plastic adjustable to hold me over until I can get the money and get a good one. Good shooting. Hope you get things worked out. The g26 is a great pistol as you know by now. Good fortune my fellow glocker.

Tags
i hate factory sights.