Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2013, 23:47   #21
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

The test fire date on my Gen 3 G26 was on March 14, 2013 -- over 1,000 rounds through it today and not one malfunction.
The Faux King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 00:11   #22
Sohryu76

I know you said Gen 3. But I bought a Gen 4 19 that had a test fire date of 3/26/13.
I had to send it back to Glock because it would not properly chamber a round consistently.
They switched out the extractor and ran 4 mags through it they said. They also installed night sights for me with no charge. No I didn't even ask for them.
I'm taking it to the range Monday to test it out. Then again Thursday to another range where I can rent another gun I want to shoot. Hoping after the gun going back to Glock for less than 2 weeks fixed if all up.
Sohryu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 00:16   #23
RyanBDawg

My 26 was made in late 95 and after thousands of rounds has yet to have one single issue, it has fired every single time!

General Glocking

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 05-05-2013 at 00:16..
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43   #24
rover4x4

I thought the GEN4 Glocks were giving all the trouble. Ive got a 26 Ive run about 700 rounds through. Its jammed once I attribute it to **** ammo and the operator
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06   #25
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Who here has bought a gen 3 Glock 9mm WITHIN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS that works like it is supposed to?

I know recent production 9mm Glocks, particularly in Gen 3, are infamous for BTF and other issues, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't blown way out of proportion. So lets hear about your recent production Gen 3 Glocks in 9mm that are problem free.
What do you mean, 'particularly in Gen 3'? Glock's recent BTF problems are, by no means, limited to third generation pistols and were, in fact, first reported on this site as happening with Gen4, and not Gen3 pistols. Subsequently, the third generation pistols were added to the list.

The trouble-free G-19's seem to be those pistols produced before early Summer of 2010 and are no higher in their serial number prefixes than, 'L'. There ARE trouble-free G-19's with higher than, 'L' prefixes; but it's, pretty much, hit or miss and depends on what extractor the factory used.

I purchased my own G-19(RTF2) in November of 2010. The, 'witness case' envelope was marked for April of that year. It had a #2 stamped MIM extractor in it that I very quickly realized was too tight to operate smoothly in the existing slide cutout. I polished it to fit and flex smoothly; and, voila, it was, 'good-to-go' for the first 3,200 + fired rounds.

It was after this that my own BTF problems began to show up. I've been screwing around with this problem for just over a year now; and, happily, I think I've finally got things straightened out. While I'm not exactly happy with the short 3 to 5 foot arced ejection pattern the pistol is giving me, (My other older 3rd gen. Glocks are able to do much better.) all of my brass is, presently, ejecting off to the right and just past my right shoulder. THIS it is, presently, doing very consistently!

So far I've been through 4 or 5 different extractors; (including Apex Tactical's older first model) and I've had to give up the original (formerly perfect) #336 ejector. Now I have the new #30274 ejector in the pistol; AND I fully understand, 'Why' Glock has had to resort to using this new, 'drop nosed' ejector in order to make their new 9mm pistols with MIM extractors in them to work properly.

The ejecting cartridge heads are not being held tightly in place, and are slipping downward on the breechface as the slide moves to the rear. Something that does not happen with the older precision-machined extractors.

As I said, it looks like my G-19(RTF2) has returned to being both safe and reliable to shoot. (Maybe one of these days I might even try a few shots with my safety glasses off!) It's been a, 'long haul' though. I'm presently running a factory-supplied, non-LCI, 'Zero Degree' extractor in this gun. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as one of the old steel extractors; BUT, at least, it does work - Sort of!

I'm responding to this question, in part, because of what I did yesterday afternoon: I sat down at the end of a busy public firing line, and watched all the people with semiautomatic pistols while they were firing. Know what? I could, pretty well, tell who had purchased their semi-auto pistol within the past two years - I really could!

So, what did I discover? I discovered that the brass ejection patterns on newer Glocks and Rugers SUCK! Walther semi-autos are OK; and anybody's 1911 continues to remain beyond fault. 'Why'? Your guess is as good as mine; but, I think this trend for gun manufacturers to use MIM parts has, now, gone too far. MIM parts with their imprecise tolerances might be alright to use for some parts on a gun; but, as we're starting to find out, NOT for all parts, and especially not for critical operating parts like extractors.

If someone doesn't want to agree with me, ...... fine! I'm just an old gunman sitting behind the firing line, watching, wondering, and scratching his increasingly graying head. (I can still outshoot (and outthink) a lot of the kiddies, though)

NOTE: There's another aspect of Glock's, 'BTF problem' which is not addressed above that I think should be mentioned:

Irregular wear on the top and bottom, 'flats' on these new MIM extractors.

I strongly suspect that the damned things either, 'wobble' or, 'chatter' whenever a problem pistol is fired. Some Glock extractors wobble or chatter more, and some Glock extractors wobble or chatter less; AND this is really screwing up BOTH how the extractor works as well as how the brass finally ejects. It produces what I'm going to call, 'erratic flyers'. Have you ever seen, 'left flying brass', been bopped right between the eyes, or noticed an EDP rod with scuff marks on its head? MIM extractor, 'wobble' and, 'chatter' (or, broadly speaking, 'uneven wear') is, I believe, the reason, 'Why' so many of these bad things are happening.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 05-05-2013 at 08:20..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50   #26
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
What do you mean, 'particularly in Gen 3'? Glock's recent BTF problems are, by no means, limited to third generation pistols and were, in fact, first reported on this site as happening with Gen4, and not Gen3 pistols. Subsequently, the third generation pistols were added to the list.

The trouble-free G-19's seem to be those pistols produced before early Summer of 2010 and are no higher in their serial number prefixes than, 'L'. There ARE trouble-free G-19's with higher than, 'L' prefixes; but it's, pretty much, hit or miss and depends on what extractor the factory used.

I purchased my own G-19(RTF2) in November of 2010. The, 'witness case' envelope was marked for April of that year. It had a #2 stamped MIM extractor in it that I very quickly realized was too tight to operate smoothly in the existing slide cutout. I polished it to fit and flex smoothly; and, voila, it was, 'good-to-go' for the first 3,200 + fired rounds.

It was after this that my own BTF problems began to show up. I've been screwing around with this problem for just over a year now; and, happily, I think I've finally got things straightened out. While I'm not exactly happy with the short 3 to 5 foot arced ejection pattern the pistol is giving me, (My other older 3rd gen. Glocks are able to do much better.) all of my brass is, presently, ejecting off to the right and just past my right shoulder. THIS it is, presently, doing very consistently!

So far I've been through 4 or 5 different extractors; (including Apex Tactical's older first model) and I've had to give up the original (formerly perfect) #336 ejector. Now I have the new #30274 ejector in the pistol; AND I fully understand, 'Why' Glock has had to resort to using this new, 'drop nosed' ejector in order to make their new 9mm pistols with MIM extractors in them to work properly.

The ejecting cartridge heads are not being held tightly in place, and are slipping downward on the breechface as the slide moves to the rear. Something that does not happen with the older precision-machined extractors.

As I said, it looks like my G-19(RTF2) has returned to being both safe and reliable to shoot. (Maybe one of these days I might even try a few shots with my safety glasses off!) It's been a, 'long haul' though. I'm presently running a factory-supplied, non-LCI, 'Zero Degree' extractor in this gun. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as one of the old steel extractors; BUT, at least, it does work - Sort of!

I'm responding to this question, in part, because of what I did yesterday afternoon: I sat down at the end of a busy public firing line, and watched all the people with semiautomatic pistols while they were firing. Know what? I could, pretty well, tell who had purchased their semi-auto pistol within the past two years - I really could!

So, what did I discover? I discovered that the brass ejection patterns on newer Glocks and Rugers SUCK! Walther semi-autos are OK; and anybody's 1911 continues to remain beyond fault. 'Why'? Your guess is as good as mine; but, I think this trend for gun manufacturers to use MIM parts has, now, gone too far. MIM parts with their imprecise tolerances might be alright to use for some parts on a gun; but, as we're starting to find out, NOT for all parts, and especially not for critical operating parts like extractors.

If someone doesn't want to agree with me, ...... fine! I'm just an old gunman sitting behind the firing line, watching, wondering, and scratching his increasingly graying head. (I can still outshoot (and outthink) a lot of the kiddies, though)

NOTE: There's another aspect of Glock's, 'BTF problem' which is not addressed above that I think should be mentioned:

Irregular wear on the top and bottom, 'flats' on these new MIM extractors.

I strongly suspect that the damned things either, 'wobble' or, 'chatter' whenever a problem pistol is fired. Some Glock extractors wobble or chatter more, and some Glock extractors wobble or chatter less; AND this is really screwing up BOTH how the extractor works as well as how the brass finally ejects. It produces what I'm going to call, 'erratic flyers'. Have you ever seen, 'left flying brass', been bopped right between the eyes, or noticed an EDP rod with scuff marks on its head? MIM extractor, 'wobble' and, 'chatter' (or, broadly speaking, 'uneven wear') is, I believe, the reason, 'Why' so many of these bad things are happening.
I know Gen 4 s have had problems too. Back in December I bought a Gen 4 G19 but somehow got one test fired back in April of that year. It gave me BTF and irregular ejection as you described, which pissed me off so I sent it back to Glock. When I got it back, ejection was WORSE than when I sent it in. I should have called them again and raised hell but ended up selling it at a loss just to be done with it.

However, I have read some things that may indicate that guns produced later on have been more problem free than
2010-2011-early 2012 guns.

For some reason I was thinking gen 3s within the past year or twohad gotten to be even worse than Gen 4, which is upsetting because I want a Gen 3 17 or 34. But then I figured people wouldn't keep buying them if they were all bad. So I started this thread to see if people were getting gen 3s that were working for them.

Have you noticed anything with M&Ps or XDs?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42   #27
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
I know Gen 4 s have had problems too. Back in December I bought a Gen 4 G19 but somehow got one test fired back in April of that year. It gave me BTF and irregular ejection as you described, which pissed me off so I sent it back to Glock. When I got it back, ejection was WORSE than when I sent it in. I should have called them again and raised hell but ended up selling it at a loss just to be done with it.

However, I have read some things that may indicate that guns produced later on have been more problem free than
2010-2011-early 2012 guns.

For some reason I was thinking gen 3s within the past year or twohad gotten to be even worse than Gen 4, which is upsetting because I want a Gen 3 17 or 34. But then I figured people wouldn't keep buying them if they were all bad. So I started this thread to see if people were getting gen 3s that were working for them.

Have you noticed anything with M&Ps or XDs?
Yours is actually a difficult question to answer. 'Why'? Because, 'like all things Glock' there is very little consistency from either gun to gun, or model to model. I, also, hold the suspicion that the extractor cuts are not uniform from pistol to pistol and might have even been deliberately modified by the factory in order to accommodate various batches of different extractors. (I don't know?)

Buying a recent production Glock pistol, today, is a, 'crapshoot'; and, personally, I won't do it. 1911's can be pricey; but they, all, seem to work. Right now: M&P's are coming on strong; but, to get an M&P where I'd want it to be, I'm sure that I'd have to spend extra money. Springfield XD's, most Walthers, and all CZ's seem to be the safest bets around. SIG's I just won't touch. They can be pretty; but: the value, the precision parts, and machining (along with the steel) just aren't there. In fact, if I weren't so heavily invested in my own G-19, (and I am very heavily invested!) I'd be carrying a CZ75, 'SP-01' in a heartbeat - A heartbeat!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53   #28
man.cave

I know there have been a few issues, (i bought a gen 4 g21 that glock completely replaced with mags), but my gen 4 9's are flawless (g17, g34), and I shot them alot. The 34 has close to 3k rds through it, (bought it in Jan.) it is my IDPA gun, and I have taking a tactical class as well. The 17 the same. I shoot mostly reloads, but they are just to make power factor for IDPA so not hot by any means. I did buy a used gen 3 19 that I replaced the ejector on, and it fixed its issues.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59   #29
man.cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Yours is actually a difficult question to answer. 'Why'? Because, 'like all things Glock' there is very little consistency from either gun to gun, or model to model. I, also, hold the suspicion that the extractor cuts are not uniform from pistol to pistol and might have even been deliberately modified by the factory in order to accommodate various batches of different extractors. (I don't know?)

Buying a recent production Glock pistol, today, is a, 'crapshoot'; and, personally, I won't do it. 1911's can be pricey; but they, all, seem to work. Right now: M&P's are coming on strong; but, to get an M&P where I'd want it to be, I'm sure that I'd have to spend extra money. Springfield XD's, most Walthers, and all CZ's seem to be the safest bets around. SIG's I just won't touch. They can be pretty; but: the value, the precision parts, and machining (along with the steel) just aren't there. In fact, if I weren't so heavily invested in my own G-19, (and I am very heavily invested!) I'd be carrying a CZ75, 'SP-01' in a heartbeat - A heartbeat!
Opinions are all what forums are about, I own 5 gen 4 and they all shoot like butter. 3 gen 3. I am not scared of gen 4, actually prefer it over gen 3. Lol sold my gen 3 27 to buy a gen 4 27. if you are in the market and you like it, buy it. bottom line.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16   #30
Andy W

I think it would be an interesting project if someone who is a competent gunsmith would obtain one of these problem recent production Glocks and start experimenting with it and document the process.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34   #31
19+15+1

I bought a gen 3 G19 a year ago. I could have bought a gen4 at the time, but I wasn't 100% confident that they had ironed out the issues. So far I've put over 5000 rounds through it with various brands of ammo (Winchester, Remington, PMC, Fiocchi). I've had exactly 1 failure, a PMC round that failed to ignite. Other than that, 100% reliable.
19+15+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:35   #32
thompsoncustom

Bought a NIB glock 17 about 2 months ago and it has nothing but BTF and crazy ejection so much that I won't carry the gun. Other than that tho if seems to work fine I just expected the glock to run better I guess.

I will say that I haven't had any failures at this time minus brass to the eye. Have had a couple go to the left to and I'm not sure how that's even possible.
thompsoncustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:26   #33
unit1069

Prior to introducing Generation 4 pistols it was rare to read of a Glock having issues. Now it's commonplace to read of issues with both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks.

The Gen 4 issues aside, how Glock managed to mess up the current Gen 3 guns is beyond me. Glock must have begun issuing new parts designs for the Gen 3 pistols that aren't present in the earlier Gen 3 models.

Last edited by unit1069; 05-05-2013 at 11:26..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37   #34
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Flawless G19

One of my G19's, Gen3, was purchased about a month ago. After several hundred rounds, I have had no problems at all.

I've not heard of any problems with Gen3's until I read this thread. The only problems I've heard of were with Gen4's, which I don't care for anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Gen3, and in fact I will be doing just that very soon, when I get a G26 and possibly another G19.

ANY gun can have an occacional problem...that doesn't mean it's the gun that is causing it. Ammo, grip, and mags can have a lot to do with it. In fact, these are the most common causes of most problems.
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
douglasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:10   #35
iluv2viddyfilms

I still have yet to shoot my new Gen 3 Glock 19, mainly due to Obama and ammo hoarders-then-resellers (also, like Obama, capitalizing on tragedy - jerks), but like all things when something works well we never hear about, but when it doesn't it gets blown out of proportion. So yes people are more vocal when it doesn't work than when it works, giving a false perception.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
videos on youtube.
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:33   #36
boose88

G19 gen 3 bought in feb 2010. about 2k rounds- 0 problems
boose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 14:35   #37
SmithietheFox

Have a Gen 3 26 (6-28-12) with about 1k rounds thru it and has run flawlessly.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.

Last edited by SmithietheFox; 05-05-2013 at 14:38..
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 14:59   #38
rvanpelt

I bought my G 26 gen 3 #SUE*** right before Christmas, No problems and no regrets. Probably my favorite. Only shot it 500 times (would be more if I could find shells) but no issues. Have shot 4 or 5 different types of ammo, but eats everything.
Rod van Pelt

Last edited by rvanpelt; 05-05-2013 at 15:55..
rvanpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 15:21   #39
Zertek

Bought 3 26's gen3 all test fired in 12 all are perfect no issues at all. Over 800 rds in each of them.

Last edited by Zertek; 05-05-2013 at 15:24..
Zertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 18:55   #40
arkdweller22

Within the last two years I've bought a 34 and 17L that have run without a hitch.
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote