Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-02-2013, 19:05   #21
Silas.soule

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
On this we agree.

This Country did a very good job of education before it became a nationalized industry with a virtual monopoly, and no regard for performance.
OK, if you want to subsidize religions, including the ones you despise, and the ones that teach that you are destined for Hell.

There is a reason James Madison said "Total" separation of the state from religion had been good for both.
Silas.soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 19:12   #22
Silas.soule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Last I heard, that was old news.... I hope they catch all the ones that are still alive, and excommunicate them before they receive their criminal sentences.....

So, what you are doing is stirring the stuff, looking for radical or undesirable things that have happened, without paying attention to the many positive things that are happening with charter and private schools.

Competition is what the school systems need. They also need to chop off about half of their bureaucratic administrative load. We have way too much attention paid to administrators, and not nearly enough paid to the kids.

The blob needs to die. If vouchers help that, I'm perfectly OK with that. If citizens can take their education tax money where they want to take it, that's even better.
Long ago, I was a substitute teacher in an urban, public school system. For over a decade. I taught K-12, and saw about every school in a large system. I saw many an amoral administrator. I saw things that I thought my employer should have been sued for, such as enforcing discipline in the schools where the kids were middle and upper class, and letting poor kids run amok in their schools. I still oppose the privatizing of education, and see that as primarily a goal of banks and religious extremists.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited by Silas.soule; 05-02-2013 at 19:17..
Old 05-02-2013, 19:16   #23
Silas.soule

I'll say something in defense of Catholicism.

In the 1800's, before compulsory prayer was removed from public schools, Catholic kids had to listen to Protestant prayers. I'd go off and start my own school, too. However, today schools do not have compulsory prayer, so Catholics merely need to return.

Last edited by Silas.soule; 05-02-2013 at 19:18..
Old 05-02-2013, 19:38   #24
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas.soule View Post
OK, if you want to subsidize religions, including the ones you despise, and the ones that teach that you are destined for Hell.

There is a reason James Madison said "Total" separation of the state from religion had been good for both.
Take a look at what I said and see if your post was really related to my point.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 20:51   #25
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas.soule View Post
Long ago, I was a substitute teacher in an urban, public school system. For over a decade. I taught K-12, and saw about every school in a large system. I saw many an amoral administrator. I saw things that I thought my employer should have been sued for, such as enforcing discipline in the schools where the kids were middle and upper class, and letting poor kids run amok in their schools. I still oppose the privatizing of education, and see that as primarily a goal of banks and religious extremists.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
You might. My parents had a friend that was a middle school teacher in a midwest urban school in the early 80's.

He saw a kid walking through the hall one day and asked if he had a pass. I remember him describing in great detail the revolver the middle schooler pulled out on him....... That was the early 80's. It's worse now.

We spend billions on BS in the school system now. The Department of education should be abolished.

I don't have a religious agenda like you, I'm a very comfortable agnostic, and am not trying to indoctrinate children in my religion, like it appears you are.

WTF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
public education, religion, schools, taxpayer, texas