GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2013, 20:10   #21
Teecher45

It's funny, every time I participate in a SHTF scenario "what ifs" on the web I always recommend to buy a bow, lots of arrows, and practice until you'll are comfortable hitting a deer sized target at 75 yards (ish).
Then learn how to tune one and work on it.
Buy more arrows/broad heads.
My two oldest boys and I shoot at least once a week and both have taken a deer at 40+ yards, they're getting pretty good.
It's quiet (darn near silent) and 99% of the time I can just pick up my arrow and reshoot it at a later time.
However, I don't plan on going anywhere, so a BOB is a different story. A bow won't replace an AK for defensive purposes.
Another option is a good crossbow with scope/RD. Will put food on the campfire easier. Sling it on your back with 6 or 8 bolts.
I just like bows better. For feeding my family, not defending them...
Old 04-30-2013, 20:20   #22
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
lol

Touchy much?

Cliches and catchy phrases? What? It's as simple as that. Everything that goes in a BOB comes at the opportunity cost of whatever else you could use that space and weight for. Or are you contesting that fact?
LOL touché

Okay. Personal, real world experience:

I've carried different bows in varieties of terrain in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Australia without sacrificing any necessities. I didn't just survive. I thrived during multi-day excursions on foot in areas far from convenience stores, gas stations, restaurants, and houses. I've gone alone and with small groups.

During these trips I always carry what is needed. I have three packs ready to go at my current location that will carry me for 2-3 weeks. The only two things I will decide before leaving is whether additional food should be added to make it 45-90 days and which "specialty" items to toss in, carry, or strap to the pack, such as fly rod, climbing gear, camera, or BOW. Those items remain ready as well.

Maybe you just need a bigger better bag, a stronger body, and more knowledge. Oh, forget that last one since you are a "professor of physics".

Last edited by OMDonald; 04-30-2013 at 20:27..
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 20:39   #23
FLA45fan

Possibly the take down bows for BOB's. I have two - a GreatTree Osprey 35# and a Hoyt Dorado 45# in camo. Very lightweight and the Hoyt has a bag that could strap on the BOB. Also just got a Diamond Infinite Edge (Bowtech) compound that is adjustable from 5 to 70 lbs. with adjustable draw lengths from 13 to 30 inches - it's classed as a youth bow but it's really amazing for the price ($350) and size. Great from a blind and at less than 4 lbs easy to tote around in the field.
Old 04-30-2013, 20:42   #24
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDonald View Post
LOL touché

Okay. Personal, real world experience:

I've carried different bows in varieties of terrain in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Australia without sacrificing any necessities. I didn't just survive. I thrived during multi-day excursions on foot in areas far from convenience stores, gas stations, restaurants, and houses. I've gone alone and with small groups.

During these trips I always carry what is needed. I have three packs ready to go at my current location that will carry me for 2-3 weeks. The only two things I will decide before leaving is whether additional food should be added to make it 45-90 days and which "specialty" items to toss in, carry, or strap to the pack, such as fly rod, climbing gear, camera, or BOW. Those items remain ready as well.

Maybe you just need a bigger better bag, a stronger body, and more knowledge. Oh, forget that last one since you are a "professor of physics".
So what are the serious advantages to a bow over a firearm? I'm not understanding the possible potential to re-use arrows given that you can't bring very many of them to begin with (compared to cartridges) and the silent thing...plenty of silent firearms if you are REALLY worried about that.

I am going to guess that local laws are the biggest reason for the bow all of those locations...an inability to have a firearm. Is that right or wrong?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-30-2013 at 20:43..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 20:49   #25
Teecher45

Quote:
I'm not understanding the possible potential to re-use arrows
Okay, try this... Next time you shoot one of your guns, pick up the spent case and load it back into your weapon. Pull the trigger and see what happens.
See, I can do that with my arrow...
Old 04-30-2013, 21:14   #26
lavon_andy

I'm intrigued by this bow idea...

Seems like a "Takedown" or Recurve bow is collapsible as well? What are some good (re; inexpensive but halfway decent) examples?

I've got pretty much zero experience with bows (only had a little bit of experience with them in Boy Scouts lol) so any help would be sweet.

Not necessarily just for BOB's
lavon_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 21:30   #27
OMDonald

Quote:
So what are the serious advantages to a bow over a firearm? I'm not understanding the possible potential to re-use arrows given that you can't bring very many of them to begin with (compared to cartridges) and the silent thing...plenty of silent firearms if you are REALLY worried about that.

I am going to guess that local laws are the biggest reason for the bow all of those locations...an inability to have a firearm. Is that right or wrong?
Here you go again, attempting to change the thread discussion into a comparison of something about which you obviously have little knowledge or understanding versus a gun. You've obviously made your decision that a bow has no serious advantage over a firearm, and you are likely right for many scenarios.

You are wrong regarding my reasons. I took a bow because I like archery. I like hunting with bows. I could discuss slings, spears, knives, tomahawks, traps, clubs, etc., but those were not topics addressed by the OP.

Yes, I can reuse arrows or make my own. I have made bows in my shop but not out in the woods. Carrying three dozen arrows bothers me none. Silence can be wonderful with archery or firearms. I'm REALLY NOT worried about it.

I'm sure you are more comfortable with your amazing amount of ammunition for your firearms, but IMO that is still not what this thread is about.

Firearms are wonderful. I enjoy them very much. How many do you have in your bob? How much ammo? How many magazines?

Suppressed firearms are wonderful. I like them. I enjoy them. How many do you own and have in your bob?

Autos are wonderful. I don't enjoy them as much as some do. How many do you own and have in your bob?

If you don't like archery or the idea of it and don't want one in your bob, you can do whatever you want. Nobody is trying to force you to put a bow in your bob.

Last edited by OMDonald; 04-30-2013 at 22:21..
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46   #28
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Here you go again, attempting to change the thread discussion into a comparison of something about which you obviously have little knowledge or understanding versus a gun. You've obviously made your decision that a bow has no serious advantage over a firearm, and you are likely right for many scenarios.

You are wrong regarding my reasons. I took a bow because I like archery. I like hunting with bows. I could discuss slings, spears, knives, tomahawks, traps, clubs, etc., but those were not topics addressed by the OP.

Yes, I can reuse arrows or make my own. I have made bows in my shop but not out in the woods. Carrying three dozen arrows bothers me none. Silence can be wonderful with archery or firearms. I'm REALLY NOT worried about it.

I'm sure you are more comfortable with your amazing amount of ammunition for your firearms, but IMO that is still not what this thread is about.

Firearms are wonderful. I enjoy them very much. How many do you have in your bob? How much ammo? How many magazines?

Suppressed firearms are wonderful. I like them. I enjoy them. How many do you own and have in your bob?

Autos are wonderful. I don't enjoy them as much as some do. How many do you own and have in your bob?

If you don't like archery or the idea of it and don't want one in your bob, you can do whatever you want. Nobody is trying to force you to put a bow in your bob.
You first.

I'm listening.

BTW: I do find it comical to say that a thread about putting a bow in a BOB is not about firearms. I guess if you were to say you could not have firearms, and the choice was a bow or nothing...then maybe it wouldn't be about firearms.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-01-2013 at 07:48..
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09   #29
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
...I am thinking that maybe a small take down bow would be a handy thing to have in a BOB.

What's the hive think?
As to the OP question, I think the answer should be the result of combining "it couldn't hurt" with "what does it cost". Cost of BOB gear should imo be counted in terms of dollars, ounces, cubic inches, versatility, dependability, and durability/longevity.

Putting a bow in there WILL cost something - it'll cost money that could be (better?) spent on other things, weight that could be (better?) spent on other things, space that could….. you get my point.

If I reasonably could, I’d like to have the entire contents of my pantry, the entire contents of one of the gun safes, an entire automotive shop, and an entire Cabela’s camping section in my GHB. But since I can’t, I have to make compromises and sacrifices on what I really DO put in there. If I knew that I was going to be in a very rural, woods area like I walked this past weekend, then a bow may - or may not - be a good thing. If I were near a town or city, not a chance – for me personally. If a person wants one and can carry it without sacrificing something else that may be more valuable, nothing wrong with having it. But just be sure it’s the best use of your available space, weight limits, etc.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22   #30
Donn57
Just me

I guess for me, putting a bow in my BOB would depend on how far I was bugging out to. Personally, it seems that if I can't simply carry enough food to get me to my bug out location, my bug out location is probably too far away. In other words, the notion of having to hunt to survive between home and my bug out location never really entered my mind. Of course, that goes double, or maybe triple, for my GHB, at least in my case.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:31   #31
OMDonald

Quote:
You first.

I'm listening.

BTW: I do find it comical to say that a thread about putting a bow in a BOB is not about firearms. I guess if you were to say you could not have firearms, and the choice was a bow or nothing...then maybe it wouldn't be about firearms.
Me first what?

When did you begin listening? When will you begin comprehending?

Some of these concepts are just common sense and obvious, at least to me and most others who have posted in this thread. If you cannot understand the explanations provided, no further discussion will help.

Quote:
kinda stupid
Yep!

Last edited by OMDonald; 05-01-2013 at 11:37..
Old 05-01-2013, 11:53   #32
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon_andy View Post
I'm intrigued by this bow idea...

Seems like a "Takedown" or Recurve bow is collapsible as well? What are some good (re; inexpensive but halfway decent) examples?

I've got pretty much zero experience with bows (only had a little bit of experience with them in Boy Scouts lol) so any help would be sweet.

Not necessarily just for BOB's
Traditional recurves don't take down but most modern ones do.

I am just getting back in archery after a 20+ year absence. Things have changed a lot and I'm no expert. People will tell you you need a $500 bow but I've found even the low end bows of today work better than the high end ones did 20-30 years ago. Just a matter of perspective.

PSE makes some nice recurves that break down easy. Their Stalker has a draw weights from 35-50#. MSRP is about $150. My grown daughter actually has PSE Razorback which is considered a youth bow but is full size. Hers has a 30# pull but comes in 20-35# versions, MSRP is around $120. Both of those would be considered starter bows but they are still better than what natives carried for 10,000 years.

Personally I have three old compound bows. I bought one new in 1975 and the others were cheap garage sale finds. Two are Bears, one is a old all wood Browning. After shooting my daughter's bow however, I am seriously considering picking up a recurve like the Stalker.

I sure others make similar type starter bows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54   #33
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Me first what?
The questions you asked.

For some reason you keep asking questions covering things that not a single person in this thread has stated, including yourself.

If you want to get into that kind of detail about it, maybe you should go first?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:08   #34
mac66
Plant the seed

Perhaps my mistake in the OP was mentioning carrying a bow in a BOB. That seems to have thrown some people off. I guess I should have simply suggested having a bow as part of one's survival gear or basic load out as a backup.

I understand that archery is a skill few people want to tackle. It is much easier for most people to learn to shoot a gun well than become proficient with a bow.

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29   #35
OMDonald

Quote:
The questions you asked.

For some reason you keep asking questions covering things that not a single person in this thread has stated, including yourself.

If you want to get into that kind of detail about it, maybe you should go first?
You're running around in circles.

You indicated this thread is about firearms, you mentioned "silenced" firearms, you ask questions about size & weight taken up or sacrificed for bow versus other items for bob.

So I asked you about things you mentioned. You cannot answer.

I've answered some of your questions. If you didn't illustrate such dogmatic sniping criticizing comments, I'd be happy to share as I have via PM to several members.
Old 05-01-2013, 13:43   #36
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
You're running around in circles.

You indicated this thread is about firearms, you mentioned "silenced" firearms, you ask questions about size & weight taken up or sacrificed for bow versus other items for bob.

So I asked you about things you mentioned. You cannot answer.

I've answered some of your questions. If you didn't illustrate such dogmatic sniping criticizing comments, I'd be happy to share as I have via PM to several members.
If the topic is weapons in a BOB, on a firearms board, firearms are extremely relevant to the discussion.

Old 05-01-2013, 13:54   #37
OMDonald

Quote:
If the topic is weapons in a BOB, on a firearms board, firearms are extremely relevant to the discussion.
Then offer some quality commentary instead of being a one-legged, deaf, blind, yet incessantly barking dog.

You can ask questions and snipe, you cannot provide answers, eh?

Last edited by OMDonald; 05-01-2013 at 13:54..
Old 05-01-2013, 14:02   #38
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Then offer some quality commentary instead of being a one-legged, deaf, blind, yet incessantly barking dog.

You can ask questions and snipe, you cannot provide answers, eh?
Is your final answer that you used a bow because that is a hobby of yours/brings enjoyment?

Old 05-01-2013, 15:25   #39
flyover

Quote:

Yes, there are plenty silent firearms but getting there is not cheap. By the time you purchase a silencer and add the tax stamp to it you will be spending up to a grand in cost alone. Of course it depends on what silencer you get, still you have to pay the $200.00 tax. Add to that you might have to wait up to 6 months or more to receive it.

For half of the cost of a silencer and tax stamp you can be outfitted with a pretty decent bow. Plus not having to wait on the transfer, you can have plenty of time to practice with the bow.
flyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:28   #40
OMDonald

Quote:
Is your final answer that you used a bow because that is a hobby of yours/brings enjoyment?
Is this your final question?

Do you have any answers or constructive commentary?