SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2013, 16:52   #26
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
We can carry anything we want as long as it is a .40 cal Glock provided by the department.
Old 04-23-2013, 18:23   #27
countrygun

In defense of the wheelgun here, the San Antonio PD racked up 12 consecutive "one shot stops" with their S&W 58s.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 21:46   #28
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Where I'm at, those who originally started with wheelguns were allowed to be grandfathered in. But if they ever switch to a semiauto, they can't switch back.

I know our agency can't wait for the wheelgun crowd to retire, so the agency can stop ordering those Speer Golddot .38 ammo. And also stop training instructors in revolvers and stop sending armorers to revolver schools.
Given the relative cost of the ammo and training, any idea why they don't cave and "upgrade" the remaining dinosaurs or set a drop dead date on the guns? My off the cuff guess is that it's to avoid setting the precedent within the agency.

Any idea how many revolvers are left?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:46   #29
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Any semi-auto in .40 or .45 (because that is the ammo the agency buys) that one of our certified firearms instructors approves.

Any BUG you want (and qualify with)

Any 12 guage that is approved (name brand pump, semi auto)

Any approved (again, name brand) AR type in 5.56.

Some also qualify with an .308, either bolt or semi with glass.

You can also draw an agency AR (bushmaster) or 12 guage (1200)
Do you work at the Heaven P.D.?

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29   #30
Moravia

Department issued Glock 22 only. We can purchase a Glock 22, 23, or 27 for off duty. Command can approve the carry of your off duty (mostly detectives carrying 27s) while on duty. There is a paragraph in our Orders that states we can carry a Sig 2034 or a Smith and Wesson 4006 for off duty but that is being phased out. No rifles. Remington 870 for shotgun (department issue). Also, NO BUG allowed.
Moravia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56   #31
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Given the relative cost of the ammo and training, any idea why they don't cave and "upgrade" the remaining dinosaurs or set a drop dead date on the guns? My off the cuff guess is that it's to avoid setting the precedent within the agency.

Isn't 38 ammo cheaper than 9mm, .40 and .45? Maybe they should go back to revolvers? Would "training" cost more or less with a revolver?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00   #32
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
In defense of the wheelgun here, the San Antonio PD racked up 12 consecutive "one shot stops" with their S&W 58s.
All hail the .41 mag.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47   #33
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post
Do you work at the Heaven P.D.?
Almost....almost.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53   #34
MoCop

All sworn personnel carries a Sig P229R in .40. Doesn't matter what detail you're assigned to. My Department will allow personally owned ar15s as long as they are inspected and approved by the dept. armorer. Back up gun can be anything 38/.380 up to .45acp. Off duty is the same as the BUG policy. Not to bad if I say so myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58   #35
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
All hail the .41 mag.
To quote the old FTD ad

"When you care enough to send the very best"
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06   #36
Sgt127

Im allowed to carry whatever duty gun I want, as long as its the issued Glock 22. I had to give up a Wilson Master grade Govt Model series 70 for that.

Before that, there was alot of Brownings, Colts, Smith autos a few Sigs and later, a few Glocks. Some of the guys still carried revolvers. The biggest problem was the dept provided training ammo. They had to stock .38 special. .357 Magnum. 9mm. .45 ACP. .41 Magnum. .44 Special. .44 Magnum. .45 LC (I know). (and later .40).

We were authorized to carry Dept shotguns, personally owned shotguns and carbines. So, add 12 GA and .30 Carbine to the mix.

The range guys had to inspect and keep up with a whole mess of different guns, but, if it broke, you were on your own to get it fixed.

From a purely practical standpoint, I understand the one gun, one caliber theory...but, there was alot more personality back in the old days.

A very good friend of mine works for Dallas. He still carries the S&W Model 66 he started with as a rookie over 30 years ago. He is one of the few left. He was grandfathered, we did not have that option.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:01   #37
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Isn't 38 ammo cheaper than 9mm, .40 and .45? Maybe they should go back to revolvers? Would "training" cost more or less with a revolver?
In my experience .38 is about a wash with 9mm when ordered in quantity. However, if you're ordering thousands or even a million rounds of 9mm, I'm sure you're paying much less per round than you would be for, say, 5% that amount of .38.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:28   #38
Ohio Copper

Quote:
All hail the .41 mag.
My policy manual expressly prohibits that as well as .44 mag.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:41   #39
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

Cop Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 17:53   #40
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:

How much of it would be people being creatures of habit? What I mean is I shoot (recreationally) Glocks, 1911s, and revolvers. But my targets are made of paper, and don't shoot back. I can take as much time as I want when I switch, and if my first shot is off target, I simply feel like a dumbass.

If these "dinasours" have gotten very skilled with their wheelguns, wouldn't it be a bad idea to force them to switch? Unlike most non-LEO GT members, I don't like the idea of cops getting killed on duty.
Old 04-24-2013, 18:13   #41
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

To paraphrase Harry Callahan,

"A good department knows its limitations....."

Old 04-24-2013, 18:22   #42
Patchman
Florist

Quote:

As for setting a drop dead date, no idea why nothing like this was done. As for enticement to "upgrade" to a semiauto, the agency provided free semiautos to everyone willing to convert. The individual LEO just had to purchase holster and mag pouch. And all who converted got to keep their wheelguns.

Have no idea how many revolvers are left but I know getting a free box or two of Speer .38 ammo out of the range guys is getting harder and harder. So they must be keeping a closer eye on .38 ammo inventory and hoping they don't have to re-order (or re-order as much) anymore.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 04-24-2013 at 18:32..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 21:38   #43
Annhl8rX

My agency just recently started to allow the carry of personally owned weapons. Prior to that, everybody had to carry the issues HK USP. Firearms instructors could approve a P2000 for those with smaller hands.

You can still carry the HK if you want, which I do. You are also allowed a Glock 22 or 23, M&P, XD or XDm, Beretta 96, or some Sig variant. Since it is so new, the list is still being formed. I believe the specific requirements are that it must be a .40, capable of double action fire, with at least a 4" barrel and 6" sight radius.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08   #44
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

I'm issued a G22 and 180-gr HST. It is okay but I prefer other sidearms as a first choice.

So it is always either a 1911 or a G34 but every now and then I have rocked with a Smiff and Western Model 28 Highway Patrolman.

Yep. In 2013 I've carried a blued N-Frame 4" Smiff revolver chambered in a straight walled magnum cartridge.

I was recently at a pursuit training seminar wearing a Model 28 and all it took was the short timespan of waiting for the first restroom/coffee break from class for me to be outside with a small crowd around me wanting to talk about it. By lunch there were guys wondering why they had never appreciated a revolver until then.

I just wish it was a Model 58 fixed sight 4" .41 Remington Magnum instead of a .357 maggie.
in no particular order.........

Last edited by nitesite10mm; 04-26-2013 at 12:09..
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 13:58   #45
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite10mm View Post
I'm issued a G22 and 180-gr HST. It is okay but I prefer other sidearms as a first choice.

So it is always either a 1911 or a G34 but every now and then I have rocked with a Smiff and Western Model 28 Highway Patrolman.

Yep. In 2013 I've carried a blued N-Frame 4" Smiff revolver chambered in a straight walled magnum cartridge.

I was recently at a pursuit training seminar wearing a Model 28 and all it took was the short timespan of waiting for the first restroom/coffee break from class for me to be outside with a small crowd around me wanting to talk about it. By lunch there were guys wondering why they had never appreciated a revolver until then.

I just wish it was a Model 58 fixed sight 4" .41 Remington Magnum instead of a .357 maggie.
I have both and it is difficult to chose the 28 (as great as it is) when the 58 is an option.
Old 04-26-2013, 18:52   #46
pgg00

We carry our own firearms. 9mm, .40 & .45 are authorized (.380 and .38 can be used for BUGs). Has to be a quality brand. Rifles have to be of an AR 5.56 variant. The fish cop guys can use a .308 if they choose. Shotguns must be 12 gauge and fit in the racks.

I tried to get them to let me carry my 10mm. Everyone approved until it got to the chief who nixed it.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote