Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2013, 14:10   #181
Tom Kanik

Nice garden! The plants that my wife started are really growing like gangbusters!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45   #182
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I shot one AQT at the Applseed this weekend, cold, right out of the box with my go-to AR...just dialed my Trijicon down to my 25 yard zero instead of my 50 yard BSZ.

I'll take it, for now.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Also progressed to IIT3.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-22-2013 at 12:45..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40   #183
Mike2

I purchased 10 of the stream light nano lights and have affixed them to various packs and places which they will be handy. These are neat little lights and have a multitude of uses. I also recvd an order from Emergency Essentials that had been back ordered for a little while but didnt have to wait too long for the stuff, just a variety of freeze dried things that I had been wanting but didnt have the money. Another thing that I finally accomplished was installing the electric fence around my chicken coop. I have been battling 'possums and 'coons for the last few weeks and I am tired of them killing my chickens and eating the meat that was intended for my family. I did everything that I thought would be a good way to control the little devils but they made it thru the netting and the both layers of chicken wire and 2x4 dog wire, they literally grabbed the chickens and pulled them through the fence.......mad ain't the word for it but hopefully the next time they get ready for a bite to eat, they will get bitten by 120 volts instead......just wish I could rig it up to FRY there little butts instead of scare them.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51   #184
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2 View Post
...Another thing that I finally accomplished was installing the electric fence around my chicken coop. I have been battling 'possums and 'coons for the last few weeks and I am tired of them killing my chickens and eating the meat that was intended for my family...
Is a good dog an option? They're good for pest control as well as security purposes if your situation permits.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20   #185
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

My dogs will kill any critter that hops the fences,I do worry about rabies and other crap they can get in these encounters.

On topic,another 100lbs of rice and 50lbs more of sugar.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:43   #186
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
added 20lbs of sugar, 10lbs of salt, 1 gallon of honey, some powdered milk, instant pancake mix, instant cornbread mix, and instant biscuit mix.

learned how to bake breads in a pot on a stovetop. now i can do this on the side burner of my grill in an power down situation. but that is the reason for the pancakes, can make johnny cakes from the cornbread, etc...

building a purpose built shotgun to mimick a 590 combat shotgun.
Old 04-23-2013, 23:05   #187
bdcochran

Have lived 33 years in the same house.

Finally, opened the last unopened box of stored items today.

I finished printing out/locating manuals for various tools like hi-lift jack this week. I bookmarked some more items like using a hi-lift jack.

Downsizing has been a year long effort.

3 boxes of items for the older brother coming on Friday. 10 boxes labeled for my son - and it will be shipped in a few months if he does not come and pick up his s--t.

I put aside items to sell on Calguns and ebay.

Word of warning. That super duper lantern, drill press or communication gear that you purchased is probably out of date - the original company sold, manuals may be unavailable as the product came out before the internet. Don't delay in obtaining diagrams, manuals and spare parts.

Not only was the electric water distilling unit manufactured by a company that has had two or three successors and no manuals on file, I had to find one being sold on Craig's List in Seattle wherein the guy had conveniently demonstrated he had the manual by posting it with the assembled unit. Whew!
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:46   #188
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

I organized one .50Cal sized ammo can to make it more ideal for a grab and go SHTF box. I normally segregate my ammo by caliber, but I figured I cant take them all with me if I needed to get out quick. I ended up taking a can and storing roundly 400 rounds of 9mm, a 200 round 5.56x45 battle pack, a 550 round box of .22LR, and a couple boxes of .45ACP.

I also bought a 20lb bag of white rice and a 20lb bag of pinto beans.

I am on the lookout for an AR-7 in my area. Does anyone have good experiences with these?
Old 04-26-2013, 14:42   #189
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
...I am on the lookout for an AR-7 in my area. Does anyone have good experiences with these?
Unfortunately no; neat idea, but most production examples have a poor reputation for actually working reliably. I've had a couple bad experiences with AR-7's and one with the Charter Arms Explorer II back in the 80's, which was basically a pistol version of the AR-7. One of my brothers has an almost-unfired AR-7 that's junky. It's not chronologically anywhere near new; it's years old, but it's such junk that it remains almost unfired - probably no more than a hundred rounds thru it in probably 8-9 years. Will probably still be 'nearly unfired' a decade from now, simply because trying to use it is so much work; but he won't get rid of it because "it's a neat concept".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-26-2013, 23:12   #190
Carry16

All 22s can be particular about the ammo they will reliably handle. I have a Marlin 70p Papoose which I have been pretty happy with. I'm not a huge shooter of 22s, but mine seems to be reliable with CCI stingers. Might consider the Marlin if you decide against the AR
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 23:57   #191
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

The AR7s we have are ok,they will not cycle subsonics.We use hotter rounds in them,our 10/22s will cycle our pmc Moderators just fine.We prefer the pmc in most .22s,all others we use CCI.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:00   #192
silentpoet

I don't know if this qualifies as a prep, but it does at the very least effect my preps and my budget, so I will post it here. I am in the process of trading my daily driver 2003 pt cruiser for a 2006 toyota prius. Should have the deal finished by tuesday. This will have an effect on my debt reduction as I am taking on a 300 dollar monthly payment. The pt cruiser was paid for. I know in general that it is wiser not to have a payment, but at least it is only for 33 months. Plus I was getting to the point where I didn't trust my car. The prius gets about 3 times better MPG.

What I need to work on is improve my gym attendance, and shoot more often. The next two months will be tight money wise with getting the new car, then I will work on knocking out my debt again. May trade some stuff off to do so like 9mm ammo. Or trade it off so I can get some of my layaways paid off, which would either improve my preps or my shop. I also need to start working on my project car again. I believe it is more EMP proof than the prius. So my plans are to 1. work out more 2. Pay off debt and improve preps 3. Work on my project car. Those are my mid term prep goals.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:45   #193
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet View Post
I don't know if this qualifies as a prep, but it does at the very least effect my preps and my budget, so I will post it here. I am in the process of trading my daily driver 2003 pt cruiser for a 2006 toyota prius. Should have the deal finished by tuesday. This will have an effect on my debt reduction as I am taking on a 300 dollar monthly payment. The pt cruiser was paid for. I know in general that it is wiser not to have a payment, but at least it is only for 33 months. Plus I was getting to the point where I didn't trust my car. The prius gets about 3 times better MPG...
Definitely counts as a prep in my book. Financial at least.

Recently I had the plugs & boots (basically spark plug wires, each with their own coil) replaced in my daily driver, an expedition. In four years I've put nearly 120,000 miles on it and the loss of performance was so gradual that I didn't realize how much the vehicle had lost, but it was substantial. This one simple $400 maintenance item not only makes it run smoother and respond better, it also boosted my mpg up by 1.9 mpg. Doesn't sound like much, but as many miles as I drive, going from 13.9 to 15.8 means saving $75-$80 at the pumps every month; or about a 200% return on that $400. Besides the increased performance and functional benefits of it, I'll take that kind of monetary return anytime.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39   #194
jdavionic
NRA Member

Finally received a Nickel Boron bolt carrier group from R Guns. I put together a BCG from spare parts and few remaining parts that I was able to buy. However that consumed spare parts. So now I'm back to spare parts again

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41   #195
SRT76

Picked up a Steripen classic for $29 at my local scout shop.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-03-2013, 23:32   #196
Tom Kanik

Ordered some more ammo.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11   #197
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1
New molds on order.....5 cavity, gas-checked 235gr flat-point
It finally arrived....very nice..IMO!

The EOTech EXPS3-2 on order (& now shipped) for the 12.5" 300 Blk ...

(Both dots will work with subsonic & supersonic loads)

..as well as a GG&G Lens Cover (Zombie Edition).

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:22   #198
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Also.....Have a lightweight M6X-IR (rifle version...remote switch enabled Visible/IR Floodlight and/or IR Laser) ordered for the new Bushmaster ORC to enhance nightime effectiveness

.. & also a Battle Arms ambi-selector (short & hybrid levers) came in.

A can of Lake City XM855 (5.56 green-tip)....several boxes of 9mm...several boxes of 7.62x39mm & .223

Lots of little things.. .another 4 pack of Tenergy rechargeable CR123A (16340) batteries with home & vehicle charger....12 more Surefire CR123A.......8 each 5,600 ma/h 18650 protected batteries....more MTE flashlights. ..etc

More prepping sessions with CoFF...

..including a suppressed night session this week.

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-04-2013 at 07:47..
Old 05-04-2013, 19:59   #199
LongGun1
StraightShooter

This EOTech EXPS3-2 was parked at my door when I walked out late this afternoon!

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-04-2013 at 23:57..
Old 05-04-2013, 20:09   #200
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
put back 250 rounds of .38spl reloads. gathered more casting tools, mostly cast iron stuff to clean up the wheel weights. got a full bucket of wheel weights to seperate out. still looking for molds in stock locally. if they dont become available before i am ready to use them, i will have to buy else where