Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2013, 18:19   #1
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Whoops.. dropped battery pack..laptop now "brain dead"

I went to pick up my laptop, and my hand slipped over the battery latch, dropping the battery while the computer was on.

It took an hour or so for me to get logged into my user account, after powering up. Tried in safe mode, and normal mode several times before I was successful.

Finally got through to a desk top, but it wasn't mine, it was a temporary factory default desktop according to an error message.

I tried system restore 3 times, each was unsuccessful.

I'm powering it down now, been close to two hours and its still " *thinking icon*shutting down".

I'm thinking rip battery out again, to snap it out of this, or drop it..?

Ideas of where to start?

It's a year old factory refurbished HP Pavilion dv7 windows 7.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:57   #2
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
I went to pick up my laptop, and my hand slipped over the battery latch, dropping the battery while the computer was on.

It took an hour or so for me to get logged into my user account, after powering up. Tried in safe mode, and normal mode several times before I was successful.

Finally got through to a desk top, but it wasn't mine, it was a temporary factory default desktop according to an error message.

I tried system restore 3 times, each was unsuccessful.

I'm powering it down now, been close to two hours and its still " *thinking icon*shutting down".

I'm thinking rip battery out again, to snap it out of this, or drop it..?

Ideas of where to start?

It's a year old factory refurbished HP Pavilion dv7 windows 7.
Pull the battery again, leave it out for a few minutes, then try to boot back up. if it boots, even into the temp account, right-click on your hard drive and schedule a complete (all options checked) disc check, then reboot so the disc check can run.

It's possible that in the sudden loss of power, the hard drive head may have scratched one or more of the platters. If this is the case, disc check may be able to recover some or all of the data from the lost sectors, but no guarantees.

If it gets stuck shutting down again, there's another option if you have a second computer. Download a copy of this: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and burn it to CD (or use UNetbootin to install the .iso to a flash drive). Boot to that CD and select "Mini Windows XP" from the menu. Once booted to that, use the disc check feature and check every checkbox. No restart necessary this time. Let it run and pray.

There are also other disc check tools on that CD.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 04-23-2013 at 19:01..
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 20:16   #3
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
Pull the battery again, leave it out for a few minutes, then try to boot back up. if it boots, even into the temp account, right-click on your hard drive and schedule a complete (all options checked) disc check, then reboot so the disc check can run.

It's possible that in the sudden loss of power, the hard drive head may have scratched one or more of the platters. If this is the case, disc check may be able to recover some or all of the data from the lost sectors, but no guarantees.

If it gets stuck shutting down again, there's another option if you have a second computer. Download a copy of this: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and burn it to CD (or use UNetbootin to install the .iso to a flash drive). Boot to that CD and select "Mini Windows XP" from the menu. Once booted to that, use the disc check feature and check every checkbox. No restart necessary this time. Let it run and pray.

There are also other disc check tools on that CD.
Thanks!

Do you have the time to elaborate a little? When I went to my computer, and right clicked on my hard drive.. the option to schedule a disc check isn't available.. is there another way to try that?

Downloaded and burned the boot cd, but couldn't seem to get it running yet. Short on time, so I couldn't play with it very long.

Old 04-24-2013, 20:21   #4
audiomechanic

Here's how to run a disc check in Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...isk-check.html

Make sure to check all the check boxes, and schedule the disc check, then reboot and let it run. Depending on the damage (if any) and the size of your hard drive, the check could take a good while (I've seen them take 3 hours before) so make sure the laptop is connected to the power supply.
Old 04-24-2013, 20:35   #5
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Here's how to run a disc check in Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...isk-check.html

Make sure to check all the check boxes, and schedule the disc check, then reboot and let it run. Depending on the damage (if any) and the size of your hard drive, the check could take a good while (I've seen them take 3 hours before) so make sure the laptop is connected to the power supply.
Thanks, I should have googled that.

Ugh.. Trying now. Computer is bouncing between working and unresponsiveness.

Problem.. When I click properties on the HD, what comes up is not that box with tabs "security" "general" etc, but a window pops up with the system properties ( its "url" is: control panel>system and security>System)

Edit, hold that. Clicking a button "properties" up on the task bar after highlighting the HD instead of right clicking worked.

Last edited by geofri; 04-24-2013 at 20:37..
Old 04-24-2013, 20:37   #6
audiomechanic

Quote:
Thanks, I should have googled that.

Ugh.. Trying now. Computer is bouncing between working and unresponsiveness.

Problem.. When I click properties on the HD, what comes up is not that box with tabs "security" "general" etc, but a window pops up with the system properties ( its "url" is: control panel>system and security>System)
Then you are right clicking on the "Computer" icon rather than the hard drive icon. Double click on the Computer icon to open the window, and there you will see your hard drive (C:\ drive).
Old 04-24-2013, 20:41   #7
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Then you are right clicking on the "Computer" icon rather than the hard drive icon. Double click on the Computer icon to open the window, and there you will see your hard drive (C:\ drive).
Just missed ya when I went back to edit. I got it, unresponsive again, but I have just clicked "check now" under error-checking and am waiting it out now..

Old 04-24-2013, 20:51   #8
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Hmm.. not "unresponsive" but it's been totally frozen in place since I clicked the check now button.

I'll give it another minute, then try doing it from command prompt. Might have to wait till tomorrow.

Thanks for the help! I'll be back tomorrow with the results.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:20   #9
audiomechanic

You might be better off doing the disc check from Hiren's boot CD. That way you're not battling with booting Windows 7 on that damaged drive.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 04-25-2013 at 08:25..
Old 04-25-2013, 16:07   #10
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Ahh, I see.

This is sad.. I'm stuck again. Burnt it to a CD.. not sure i did it right??

Tech Talk

Not sure what's next, or where all the programs are in the folder.. ??

Last edited by geofri; 04-25-2013 at 16:08..
Old 04-25-2013, 16:12   #11
audiomechanic

It looks like you just literally burned the files you downloaded to a cd. Not gonna work that way. Put another blank disc in, go to the folder where you dowloaded Hiren's and run the "BURNCDCC" program.

Sent from my orifice.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 04-25-2013 at 16:13..
Old 04-25-2013, 16:15   #12
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
It looks like you just literally burned the files you downloaded to a cd. Not gonna work that way. Put another blank disc in, go to the folder where you dowloaded Hiren's and run the "BURNCDCC" program.

Sent from my orifice.

Thanks. Never burnt a program to a CD before. Just found a youtube tutorial on Hirens, so I'm gonna watch that, and hopefully you won't have to spoon feed me the whole way!

Old 04-25-2013, 18:00   #13
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Was in BIOS trying to set the computer to boot fromthe CD, when I saw the option to check disk.. so I tried it.. started with a 2hour + estimate of completion, then abruptly ended with this:
Tech Talk

Old 04-25-2013, 18:03   #14
audiomechanic

Yeah, that's not a good sign. Looks like that hard drive is hosed. You need a new hard drive.

Do you have anything important stored on it?
Old 04-25-2013, 18:31   #15
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Yeah, that's not a good sign. Looks like that hard drive is hosed. You need a new hard drive.

Do you have anything important stored on it?
Eh.. yes.. no.. depends. Hadn't backed up for a month or two.. some pics, career search stuff, I'll live.

Well, I'll be taping that dang battery switch so it stays shut!

Friends are always telling me to take battery out while laptop is plugged in.. I was nervous i'd accidentally disconnect, so kept it in always.

Any suggestions as to what to look at?
Want something powerful enough to handle Autocad, some video editing, and work stuff..

My last attempt to replace a HD was bad.. I'm still using the HD I was supposed to change out! It started working at some point during my efforts to get the new HD working..

Old 04-25-2013, 18:32   #16
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

..and thanks for such quick responses!

Old 04-25-2013, 19:47   #17
audiomechanic

Quote:
Eh.. yes.. no.. depends. Hadn't backed up for a month or two.. some pics, career search stuff, I'll live.

Well, I'll be taping that dang battery switch so it stays shut!

Friends are always telling me to take battery out while laptop is plugged in.. I was nervous i'd accidentally disconnect, so kept it in always.

Any suggestions as to what to look at?
Want something powerful enough to handle Autocad, some video editing, and work stuff..

My last attempt to replace a HD was bad.. I'm still using the HD I was supposed to change out! It started working at some point during my efforts to get the new HD working..
It may still be possible to retrieve some of your data off of that drive. If you have an external hard drive or flash drive handy, you can still boot to Hiren's boot CD and then choose "Mini Windows XP" from the menu. Once that boots, connect your external drive or flash drive and then try to access the hard drive in your computer (by going to My Computer). Hopefully you can copy some of the files you need off of the drive. There are other file retrieval tools out there that will work better, but start with this.

As for recommendations, what's your budget? I always go as big as my budget allows. How old is the laptop?

Quote:
..and thanks for such quick responses!
You're welcome. I'm sorry this didn't turn out better.
Old 04-25-2013, 19:56   #18
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
It may still be possible to retrieve some of your data off of that drive. If you have an external hard drive or flash drive handy, you can still boot to Hiren's boot CD and then choose "Mini Windows XP" from the menu. Once that boots, connect your external drive or flash drive and then try to access the hard drive in your computer (by going to My Computer). Hopefully you can copy some of the files you need off of the drive. There are other file retrieval tools out there that will work better, but start with this.

As for recommendations, what's your budget? I always go as big as my budget allows. How old is the laptop?

You're welcome. I'm sorry this didn't turn out better.
Thanks, I'll see about giving that a whack this weekend.

Laptop is only a year old. Budget is.. whatever it takes up get back up and running.. ~$100 would be nice.. As you can tell, I'm not very proficient, so frills would be wasted.

A decent workhorse, without any fancy shtuff...?

Something along the lines of what it came with maybe?

The specs:
HP Pavilion dv7-6b57nr Notebook AMD A-Series A6-3400M(1.4GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 750GB HDD 5400rpm BD Combo AMD Radeon HD 6520G

It was refurbished, an never seemed to work "right"...always something buggy. Ex: Internet(firefox/IE) frequent went unresponsive the first week I owned it.

Old 04-25-2013, 20:07   #19
audiomechanic

Looks like $100 gets you around a terabyte of space. I'm a fan Toshiba and Hitachi drives. Not a fan Western Digital or Seagate drives. Been burned by those two too many times. Something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145584
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149377

would work fine. Did your laptop come with any software discs containing the Windows 7 you had installed on it? Most newer laptops don't. They contain a recovery partition on the hard drive to restore the OS. Which works fine as long as the hard drive is not damaged. But leaves you SOL if it is.

If you didn't get any discs with the laptop (which I imagine you did not, given it's an HP), I believe you can contact HP and have them send you the correct DVD of Windows 7 for the registration code on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop. I think they charge for that though and don't know how much.

Might be a good time to learn to love Linux! :D
Old 04-25-2013, 21:01   #20
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Looks like $100 gets you around a terabyte of space. I'm a fan Toshiba and Hitachi drives. Not a fan Western Digital or Seagate drives. Been burned by those two too many times. Something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145584
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149377

would work fine. Did your laptop come with any software discs containing the Windows 7 you had installed on it? Most newer laptops don't. They contain a recovery partition on the hard drive to restore the OS. Which works fine as long as the hard drive is not damaged. But leaves you SOL if it is.

If you didn't get any discs with the laptop (which I imagine you did not, given it's an HP), I believe you can contact HP and have them send you the correct DVD of Windows 7 for the registration code on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop. I think they charge for that though and don't know how much.

Might be a good time to learn to love Linux! :D

Nope. No disks.. Ill give HP a call about it.

Both being the same price.. would you go with the hitachi since it's 6MBG/s over the toshiba's 3MB/s?

I have wanted to get in on linux.. i tried ubuntu once and just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll have to try again.

Last edited by geofri; 04-25-2013 at 21:05..
Old 04-26-2013, 04:36   #21
audiomechanic

Quote:
Both being the same price.. would you go with the hitachi since it's 6MBG/s over the toshiba's 3MB/s?

I have wanted to get in on linux.. i tried ubuntu once and just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll have to try again.
Either one. Doesn't matter. The 6GB/S Hitachi will nevet take advantage of the speed of the interface due to physical limitations. A physical 5400 or 7200 RPM hard drive just can't read/write that fast. You would not notice a difference with either one.

For Linux, I'd get Windows sorted out first. Then mess with Linux. If you ultimately decide to have that laptop dual boot to both Windows and linux, you'll need to have Windows installed on the drive first anyway.

Sent from my orifice.
Old 05-04-2013, 16:42   #22
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

ugh.

On the phone now with HP. Purchased a set of discs from them...two "System Recovery DVDs". Followed instructions, only to have a window pop up at the end claiming that the installation was not successful.

I'm on hold now, getting the run around about using only HP products.. The laptop came with a samsung HD, and i ended up buying the samsung HD you linked me to.

Something about an individual part number, and the recovery CDs only working for that exact part number HD, blah blah, etc.

Last edited by geofri; 05-04-2013 at 16:47..
Old 05-04-2013, 17:01   #23
audiomechanic

So you installed the new HDD and tried to reload it with the DVDs sent to you from HP?
Old 05-04-2013, 17:09   #24
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
So you installed the new HDD and tried to reload it with the DVDs sent to you from HP?

Yes sir.

After going through 2 dvds and then a 3rd supplemental disk, "application and driver recovery dvd" I got this:

Tech Talk

Old 05-04-2013, 17:11   #25
audiomechanic

What do the details tell you if you click that button?