Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 22:16   #21
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
One simply needs to be more deliberate with a revolver. Plenty of revolver shooters back in the day were 'Gatling gunners' and relied on the statistical probability of 'spray and pray'.

My first agency, which I started with in 2010, issued Ruger GP100s loaded with .38+P. This was a state corrections agency. Now, my current agency/duty station issues Berettas, but I generally wouldn't feel undergunned with a wheelgun and a few speedloaders, especially .357 magnum. It's all in how you train; I'm actually much more accurate with the "old school" wheel guns.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01   #22
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Back in the late 1970's the Clackamas County (Oregon) still had a "If you can qualify with it, you can carry it" policy. They even made exceptions in the qualifications for certain assignments and skill sets. There was a Deputy, who worked in the most isolated district who was cleared for a Ruger Blackhawk.
Currently one deputy carries a .357, I think it's a S&W 686+. That deputy is set to retire, he's currently working at the courthouse in their civil division. Good guy, he got into a shooting in the mid 80's, and his newfangled automatic jammed on him, and he had to kill the guy with his BUG .38. He's been a revolver fan since then.

My agency theoretically allows personally owned handguns, but some firearms instructor got butthurt about not being consulted on some portion of the policy, so he made a stink, and now the agency has to supply both practice and duty ammo, and there's no money in the budget, and the availability is a challenge. He effectively killed the policy. Personally owned rifles are allowed if the armorer signs off on it, and it's approved by the chief.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36   #23
Lt Scott 14

County Corrections and Court Security allows Service Revolvers, and G19, or 22,23. I still do a tour in Court Security, so it is black basketweave duty gear, and a 4in S&W M10.
I also qual with my G19 for off duty as well. I have Pachmayer grips on the M10, gives it a gripper platform, and 2 speedloaders. All bases are covered.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16   #24
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Any sig or Glock in 9, 40 or .45. Any major brand rifle/shotgun including semi-auto's

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-23-2013, 15:38   #25
Patchman
Florist

Where I'm at, those who originally started with wheelguns were allowed to be grandfathered in. But if they ever switch to a semiauto, they can't switch back.

I know our agency can't wait for the wheelgun crowd to retire, so the agency can stop ordering those Speer Golddot .38 ammo. And also stop training instructors in revolvers and stop sending armorers to revolver schools.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 04-23-2013 at 15:43..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 16:52   #26
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
We can carry anything we want as long as it is a .40 cal Glock provided by the department.
Old 04-23-2013, 18:23   #27
countrygun

In defense of the wheelgun here, the San Antonio PD racked up 12 consecutive "one shot stops" with their S&W 58s.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 21:46   #28
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Where I'm at, those who originally started with wheelguns were allowed to be grandfathered in. But if they ever switch to a semiauto, they can't switch back.

I know our agency can't wait for the wheelgun crowd to retire, so the agency can stop ordering those Speer Golddot .38 ammo. And also stop training instructors in revolvers and stop sending armorers to revolver schools.
Given the relative cost of the ammo and training, any idea why they don't cave and "upgrade" the remaining dinosaurs or set a drop dead date on the guns? My off the cuff guess is that it's to avoid setting the precedent within the agency.

Any idea how many revolvers are left?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:46   #29
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Any semi-auto in .40 or .45 (because that is the ammo the agency buys) that one of our certified firearms instructors approves.

Any BUG you want (and qualify with)

Any 12 guage that is approved (name brand pump, semi auto)

Any approved (again, name brand) AR type in 5.56.

Some also qualify with an .308, either bolt or semi with glass.

You can also draw an agency AR (bushmaster) or 12 guage (1200)
Do you work at the Heaven P.D.?

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29   #30
Moravia

Department issued Glock 22 only. We can purchase a Glock 22, 23, or 27 for off duty. Command can approve the carry of your off duty (mostly detectives carrying 27s) while on duty. There is a paragraph in our Orders that states we can carry a Sig 2034 or a Smith and Wesson 4006 for off duty but that is being phased out. No rifles. Remington 870 for shotgun (department issue). Also, NO BUG allowed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Moravia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56   #31
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Given the relative cost of the ammo and training, any idea why they don't cave and "upgrade" the remaining dinosaurs or set a drop dead date on the guns? My off the cuff guess is that it's to avoid setting the precedent within the agency.

Isn't 38 ammo cheaper than 9mm, .40 and .45? Maybe they should go back to revolvers? Would "training" cost more or less with a revolver?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00   #32
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
In defense of the wheelgun here, the San Antonio PD racked up 12 consecutive "one shot stops" with their S&W 58s.
All hail the .41 mag.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47   #33
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post
Do you work at the Heaven P.D.?
Almost....almost.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53   #34
MoCop

All sworn personnel carries a Sig P229R in .40. Doesn't matter what detail you're assigned to. My Department will allow personally owned ar15s as long as they are inspected and approved by the dept. armorer. Back up gun can be anything 38/.380 up to .45acp. Off duty is the same as the BUG policy. Not to bad if I say so myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58   #35
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
All hail the .41 mag.
To quote the old FTD ad

"When you care enough to send the very best"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06   #36
Sgt127

Im allowed to carry whatever duty gun I want, as long as its the issued Glock 22. I had to give up a Wilson Master grade Govt Model series 70 for that.

Before that, there was alot of Brownings, Colts, Smith autos a few Sigs and later, a few Glocks. Some of the guys still carried revolvers. The biggest problem was the dept provided training ammo. They had to stock .38 special. .357 Magnum. 9mm. .45 ACP. .41 Magnum. .44 Special. .44 Magnum. .45 LC (I know). (and later .40).

We were authorized to carry Dept shotguns, personally owned shotguns and carbines. So, add 12 GA and .30 Carbine to the mix.

The range guys had to inspect and keep up with a whole mess of different guns, but, if it broke, you were on your own to get it fixed.

From a purely practical standpoint, I understand the one gun, one caliber theory...but, there was alot more personality back in the old days.

A very good friend of mine works for Dallas. He still carries the S&W Model 66 he started with as a rookie over 30 years ago. He is one of the few left. He was grandfathered, we did not have that option.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:01   #37
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Isn't 38 ammo cheaper than 9mm, .40 and .45? Maybe they should go back to revolvers? Would "training" cost more or less with a revolver?
In my experience .38 is about a wash with 9mm when ordered in quantity. However, if you're ordering thousands or even a million rounds of 9mm, I'm sure you're paying much less per round than you would be for, say, 5% that amount of .38.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:28   #38
Ohio Copper

Quote:
All hail the .41 mag.
My policy manual expressly prohibits that as well as .44 mag.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:41   #39
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
My policy manual expressly prohibits that as well as .44 mag.

Cop Talk

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 17:53   #40
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post

How much of it would be people being creatures of habit? What I mean is I shoot (recreationally) Glocks, 1911s, and revolvers. But my targets are made of paper, and don't shoot back. I can take as much time as I want when I switch, and if my first shot is off target, I simply feel like a dumbass.

If these "dinasours" have gotten very skilled with their wheelguns, wouldn't it be a bad idea to force them to switch? Unlike most non-LEO GT members, I don't like the idea of cops getting killed on duty.