Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2013, 16:58   #41
PettyOfficer

Hahah.. This got me thinking: all the R&D for the app is a deductible expense... All the ammo shot to test the photos and timing capabilities... All deductible expenses! Range fees, deductible, time spent on the range be sure to "pay" yourself in some accounting manner and its a deductible compensation.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 19:10   #42
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
In 2 years, I could see an app for RSOs that would.............................[/URL]
All proposed before (by me and others), and tried before apparently to some degree. One reason invoked for why it won't (or didn't) work... TRAINING on how to use the scanners/equipment. Let's face it - many, many GSSF ROs have no idea how to properly use the timers or even change the sensitivity setting on them - a basic task for an effective RO. GSSF (in case you haven't noticed) is not big on training of any kind - and even less "big" at accepting outside help to accomplish that training. Same for an e-commerce sight for registration; been proposed and proof-of-concept developed for Glock/GSSF by one of our GSSF members/shooters. Not accepted!

It's a brick wall out there. I wish it wasn't, but it is! Believe me, 10-20 years is optimistic unless something happens with middle or upper management and Glock dumps more $$$ into GSSF.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01   #43
camario
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa5 View Post
camario, Conyers is not in the list of matches and the G36 is not in the list of guns. One other thing that would be nice is to have the entry number field default to the numeric keypad instead of the alpha keypad.
Regarding missing entries there are two ways to address that in the App:

1. When you hit the pop-up button and the list comes up type in the new entry at the top (in the gray area) and then click the Add button. You can also delete unused entries in the popup-tables with the standard swipe in the cell and click Delete.

2. Even easier is to manually type the entry into the field (like the Match Location) and then the App will automatically add it to the list for next time.

Thanks for for the suggestions.

CAMario
camario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02   #44
camario
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriterian View Post
THIS! Oh and that blank button in the bottom left where the * would be on a cellphone. Make that a tab key so you can cycle through the cells easier for us sausage fingers.
Great idea. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06   #45
camario
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Got all mine and my son's matches entered over the weekend and I really like the reports and graphs. My one thing to add would be placement in youth categories for my son. His overall rank is not always so good, but he seems to compete fairly well against his own age group. Seniors and ladies might want to see this as well.
You can create a separate User for your son and then when you enter the placements use his placement in the Youth category.

I could add a Category field to the User Setup but I'm not sure what you would do with that data after that. Could you further explain your thoughts there?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28   #46
camario
Glockaholic

Thanks again for all your positive comments and suggestions. I'm very happy that others find GSSFBase useful. I do have 2 further suggestions for you folks:

1. Check out the User Guide if you haven't already. It's the Trail Map icon in the top left corner. Hopefully you'll find some gems in there.

2. Don't forget to Export your database from time to time using the Utility View (Platters Icon in the lower-right). You don't want to have some unforeseen event cause you to have to enter all that data again.

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:30   #47
Norwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by camario View Post
You can create a separate User for your son and then when you enter the placements use his placement in the Youth category.

I could add a Category field to the User Setup but I'm not sure what you would do with that data after that. Could you further explain your thoughts there?

Thanks
My thoughts were to add a new field on the class screen that would show category placement. shooter enters an abreviation for their category maybe JM=Junior Male, JF=Junior Female, SS=Super Senior, etc. and then there placement (5 out of 25) or whatever. (I know that the shooter would have to determine on their own how many shot in their category, but this is easy enough from the results.

Once this is complete it would show on the class detail screen as a new column next to Placement as maybe category placement. Something so these shooters can see how they stack up within their category as well as overall.
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 13:31   #48
SARDG

I have a Droid so can't see this app and do not know how the app nomenclature is listed, but (in spite of what people on GT call them), GSSF Rules say:

Divisions are Civilian/Guardian/Master Stock, Subcompact, Heavy Metal, Unlimited, etc. (8 of them)
Special Category (Awards) are High Guardian Female, High Senior, High Super Senior, High Junior, etc. (9 of them)

There is no "Youth" category- there is a "Junior".

There are Master "Class" shooters and by extrension... "Amateur" class shooters. Those are the only "Classes".

This may all be referenced in the Rules - Sec 170-190.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:13   #49
CrimsonMKII

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonMKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
I just bought it to support a fellow GT'er who obviously has his peers in mind.

Ill give it a go, I only have shot one outdoor event, but hope to participate more in the coming years.

Keep up the good work.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Same here, Thank you!
GSSF Member
CrimsonMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50   #50
OuttaHand

I've downloaded the app and played with it a bit. It looks like it will work great! But at this point, I have not yet shot a GSSF event. So a question:

Is this app meant to be used on-site at the event? Is there even time during an event to enter your results? Or is this app meant more as a long-term record-keeping app that you fill in after the event in the comfort of your home?

Also, a pie-in-the-sky request/suggestion: I use (as many here probably do) an app called "Gun Log" to keep track of my guns, ammo, practice sessions, etc. This app has a database of all the ammo I own. Would there be a way for this GSSF app to tie into the ammo database of Gun Log? That way, all my ammo is tracked in one place. I don't have to enter the brands/types/quantities in two places.

Just a thought!
OuttaHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 19:30   #51
camario
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaHand View Post
...Is this app meant to be used on-site at the event? Is there even time during an event to enter your results? Or is this app meant more as a long-term record-keeping app that you fill in after the event in the comfort of your home?

Also, a pie-in-the-sky request/suggestion: I use (as many here probably do) an app called "Gun Log" to keep track of my guns, ammo, practice sessions, etc. This app has a database of all the ammo I own. Would there be a way for this GSSF app to tie into the ammo database of Gun Log? That way, all my ammo is tracked in one place. I don't have to enter the brands/types/quantities in two places.
While you could do it at the match my personal preference is to just gather up the yellow score sheets they provide you at the match with your scores on then and then enter them into GSSFBase at your leisure. There's so much going on at the matches already I wouldn't want the distraction. Other shooters to watch, magazines to reload, people to meet, etc. Either way it works fine.

As for integration with Gun log that is not possible. Gun Log is a great App for keeping track of your Guns, Accessories and Ammo but see how you feel after shooting your first GSSF Match and I'll bet you'll find you shoot the same ammo over and over so the data input burden in GSSFBase is not so high. Also you only need to put as much data into GSSFBase regarding the ammo (Brand, Weight, etc.) so you can try and track any performance issues related to different brands of ammo.

Take Care
CAMario
Old 04-08-2013, 18:58   #52
1RoundEye

Pretty good, but 1 issue "Maj Sub"

So far so good. From a data entry standpoint it would be nice to have a web counter part so I could easily enter data, print reports, and sync with mobile devices. I haven had a chance to try it on my iPad, so the web app may not be required.

Edit: The app requires you to have six shots per row in the table, but in MajSub you only fire 3 (1ea for 5 to GLOCK, and M). The plates you have 7 shots for 6 plates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 1RoundEye; 04-08-2013 at 21:30..
1RoundEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:57   #53
camario
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RoundEye View Post
Edit: The app requires you to have six shots per row in the table, but in MajSub you only fire 3 (1ea for 5 to GLOCK, and M). The plates you have 7 shots for 6 plates.
I've submitted a revision to the App Store that should be available in about a week that fixes that and has a custom keypad for data entry that should help a lot with the data entry.

Take Care
Old 04-22-2013, 19:16   #54
njl

The version compatible with older iOS finally hit the app store. Very cool.

After entering my Clearwater scores, I'll say two things.

1) This app would have saved me from a scorekeeping error costing me a place and some $ in Orlando.

2) As an optimization, when entering hits on M/5 targets, after the hits on a target add up to 6 (3 for MS), it may as well auto-advance to the next row/target, as there should be no more entries on the current row.

I don't think it'd be appropriate for shooters to try using this at the stage unless they're quick enough that they can do the data entry while the RO's are scoring the targets, but I'd strongly recommend doing the data entry at the match before packing up...so if it does catch a scorekeeping error, you can get it taken care of. Ideally, you'd have a buddy do the data entry while you're at the stage...where a scorekeeping error might still be fixable without needing a reshoot.
Old 04-22-2013, 19:31   #55
camario
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
...As an optimization, when entering hits on M/5 targets, after the hits on a target add up to 6 (3 for MS), it may as well auto-advance to the next row/target, as there should be no more entries on the current row...
Good idea. Thanks.

Question: Did you find the auto advance feature helpful or confusing while you're in the table?

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2013, 22:47   #56
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by camario View Post
Good idea. Thanks.

Question: Did you find the auto advance feature helpful or confusing while you're in the table?

Thanks again.
Definitely helpful. It should make the data entry go faster.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39   #57
Kriterian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
Definitely helpful. It should make the data entry go faster.
Sorry but after using an Android since the beginning, I'm new to my iPhone. Most apps in the store update automatically but I've yet to get one for GSSFBase. Do I have uninstall and reinstall it or something?

I went to the Morganton match this weekend and was hoping to try out the new features, but none are present.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48   #58
PM720

Go to the APP STORE, tap the UPDATES button and you should see it there. Came right up on my iPad II.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34   #59
Kriterian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Go to the APP STORE, tap the UPDATES button and you should see it there. Came right up on my iPad II.

Scott
It's there now, thanks for the help.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, gssf, ipad, iphone, software