SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 15:39   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

238 years ago ...

On April 19th 1775, Paul Revere made his famous ride and our forefathers faced off against their government's army to try and restore they rights that have been taken away. Capt. John Parker and 80 men of the Lexington Militia stood up against 200 light infantry on Lexington green. Those redcoats were backed by 600 more infantry in the main British column.

Firing without orders, the redcoats opened up on the militia and then followed with up with a bayonet charge. When the smoke cleared 17 militia lay dead or wounded with only one slightly wounded redcoat. The British commander ordered three cheers and a victory musket volley in celebration as the marched out of town toward Concord to confiscate arms they knew to be stored there.

Once in Concord the regulars searched the town, confiscated the few supplies that hadn't been removed or hidden and set them on fire in the town square. The 400+ militia who had gathered outside of town saw the smoke and marched down to the north bridge thinking the redcoats were burning the town. They were stopped by 3 companies of light infantry (about 90 men & officers) at the north bridge who opened up on them. Capt. Isaac Davis of the Acton minutemen was killed along with Abner Hosmer. This time the militia opened up on the redcoats killing half of their officers and drove them from the bridge.

When the British commander saw his troops running from the bridge he knew he was in trouble. He had 18 miles to march back to Boston in a country side now literally up in arms. A mile east of Concord is column was attacked both at the front and rear by militia responding to the road. The fighting was non stop and in the town of Menotomy it was hand to hand and house to house. Thousands of colonists joined the fight and attacked the British all the way back to Boston.

Those colonists walked out that morning not with revolution on their minds but with restoration of their rights as free Englishmen. Rights guaranteed by the Magna Carta and their colonial charters and courts. They simply stood up to let the crown know that they were not going to take the infringement on their rights lightly. They weren't looking for civil war but simply to preserve their civil rights. It would be another 14 months before they would declare their independence.

We tend to remember the birth of our country on July 4, but don't forget the sacrifices and choices the people in the colonies had to make on April 19th. They walked out with no assurance that they would live to see the sunset. Their choices that day included the hot lead of a British musket ball, the cold steel of the bayonet or the hangman's noose. They sacrificed their lives, their livelihood and their families. And yet, they stood as one for a concept of liberty, for self determination and for civil rights.

Remember April 19th and the republic they inspired.
Free history presentations for your club, school, organization, scouts, group etc. Go to www.LIBERTYSEED.orgto book a free revolutionary war history presentation. Everyone need to hear the story of April 19, 1775. LibertySeed.org is a national, non-profit organization;

Last edited by mac66; 04-24-2013 at 15:38..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:44   #2
Rick C
affiant

Interesting coincidence, as I'm sure you know.
Old 04-19-2013, 15:53   #3
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The Okie Corral
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:15   #4
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The Okie Corral
O Rly? Lol
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09   #5
mac66
Plant the seed

Concord Hymn

"By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world..."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Free history presentations for your club, school, organization, scouts, group etc. Go to www.LIBERTYSEED.orgto book a free revolutionary war history presentation. Everyone need to hear the story of April 19, 1775. LibertySeed.org is a national, non-profit organization;

Last edited by mac66; 04-20-2013 at 18:06..
Old 04-20-2013, 18:05   #6
mac66
Plant the seed

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.

We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17   #7
mac66
Plant the seed

Statue of Capt. John Parker of the Lexington Militia on Lexington Green

The Okie Corral
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56   #8
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The Okie Corral
It's Jack Black Day?
Old 04-23-2013, 15:10   #9
mac66
Plant the seed

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -- Samuel Adams
Old 04-23-2013, 15:34   #10
Cmacc

This post got me to thinking that in just 12 years our nation will celebrate its sestercentennial. Remember the hoopla around the bicentennial in 1976, I wonder if 2026 will be anything like it?
Old 04-23-2013, 15:46   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

“Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence”
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Tom C.Clark - Mapp vs. Ohio

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:01   #12
WarCry

Just thought I'd share this....(jump to 6:30 for the topical portion)

I do recommend watching the entirety of both parts of this special, but this part is particularly appropriate...

Last edited by WarCry; 04-23-2013 at 20:02..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19   #13
mac66
Plant the seed

If you want to read a more complete version of the events of April 19th, I wrote this a couple months ago...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...al+perspective
Old 04-24-2013, 20:03   #14
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Paul Reveres Ride by Fischer. Long but fascinating.