SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 14:46   #21
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
Why did she think you were stealing if you just went in without any merchandise to check your size? Maybe she had a peek hole and was watching and saw the gun. Does not sound like the officer did anything out of the ordinary after receiving the call.
I have no idea!! Anyone with half a brain could see that when I entered the dressing room, I didn't even have any items in my hands!!

I don't know if she saw the gun or not, but her exact response was "you were shoving items down your pants, we know it!" when I asked what I had done wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2@low8 View Post
Don't let the store personnel detain you. You have the ability to walk out right up until the point the officer stops you. I will never wait around until the law shows up. Never.
She wasn't detaining me. She wasn't even trying to detain me..

In fact, she told me I could either wait for the police to get there (which only took about 1 minute since a unit was already in the area) OR I could leave before they did.

I told her I will wait & speak to them because I have done nothing wrong.. 2 seconds later he was walking in.

Then once he called in the serial number of my pistol, 4 more cars showed up & were outside when we left the building!!

Again.. this whole thing was both embarrassing and degrading.

I've never been treated like some kind of criminal for doing absolutely nothing wrong before.

Anyway - I just spoke to the district regional manager, and he assured me that this never should have even taken place, and that disciplinary actions would be taken against the woman who did this.

I hope they fire her. If she is doing this to me -- someone who enters the dressing room in front of her with NOTHING in their arms or hands -- chances are, she does this to a lot of other people too.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 14:53   #22
Zeebra724

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Anyway - one thing that confuses me now, is when I just spoke to the officer he told me that when he entered the store again to get the round from the floor, he told the ladies inside they needed to post a No Concealable Weapons sign "to prevent this kind of thing in the future"

LOL huh?!! He was called there for possible shoplifting.. not a guy with a gun?!

I wasn't about to argue that point with him though, I just thanked him & told him I'd call on Monday to get the round back from him.
Who knows? Those ladies could have been freaked out with seeing a real life loaded weapon in their presence. Enjoy your reunion with your lost round. Nothing you could have done in this situation to change the outcome--except know your pants size! Sorry, couldn't resist again...
Old 04-19-2013, 15:00   #23
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post
Who knows? Those ladies could have been freaked out with seeing a real life loaded weapon in their presence. Enjoy your reunion with your lost round. Nothing you could have done in this situation to change the outcome--except know your pants size! Sorry, couldn't resist again...
Yeah, I will definitely enjoy getting that lost round back

It broke my heart to have to load a FMJ into the spare mag.. LOL

& no offense taken man, I guess we'll see a new "meme" popping up on these boards soon saying something like:

"knowing your pants size could have prevented this"

:(

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
Old 04-19-2013, 15:04   #24
markerbeacon

Quote:
Could have been worse though, but yeah.. this is not cool..

I was shopping at a clothing store known for cheap prices.

NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to shop there after this.....

I ask the woman at the counter to use the dressing room so I can look at the tag of my pants that I am wearing, so I can find out exactly which size I need to get for the shorts that I want to buy.

as I'm in the dressing room, I take off my belt & lay my holstered weapon down on the bench, then I spin around and try to check the tag size in the mirror.

After figuring out what size my current pants were so I could get 1 size larger on the shorts, I put my belt back on, put the holster back on, etc.

As I leave the dressing room, this lady tells me "I know what you're doing in there, and the cops are on the way!"

I ask her "what am I doing? I haven't done anything wrong" - she says "We KNOW you're shoving items down your pants, we heard you take the belt off!"

I reply, "no maam, I took my belt off because I have my CWP and I needed to remove my holster - I have nothing down my pants at all."

She says "sure, whatever you say - you can tell it to the cops when they get here!"

So the cops walk in, I hand him my license and my permit. He asks if I am carrying right now, I tell him yes sir.

He secures my weapon. I then tell him he can gladly come in the dressing room with me, and I will strip down to my boxers so he can see that I have NOT shoved anything down my pants. He follows me in, but doesn't have me do that.

He had me spread my legs & he just checked like that.

So then we walk outside to finish talking after I obviously had not stolen anything. On the way out, the cop tells me - why did you bring this in here, didn't you see the sign on the door?

I tell him sir, there is no sign on the door - if there was I would have left this in my car, I never would have ever brought it inside.

We get out front and he says "oh, you're right.. there is not a sign on the door"

So anyway.. even after everything checked out, the cop places my Glock, my magazine, my spare magazine and my knife in the trunk of my car - but he kept the round that I had in the chamber..

What gives?

Those are very expensive rounds.. not to mention you can't even find them anywhere right now.

That is not cool to treat a law-abiding citizen like this..

I even showed the woman my cash in my wallet and told her maam, I am here to spend money - NOT shoplift, as I was waiting on the police.

Again.. WOW is all I can say right now..

I just wanted to get some shorts with belt loops so I can carry in comfort - nothing more.

I am still pretty shook up about this.. as I told the officers, that was my first encounter with LEO's while carrying.. I had done nothing wrong at all.. This is crazy dude.

You’re an attention whore looking for a confrontation and you got one. Now you say you’re surprise B.S! It’s just want you wanted.
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:07   #25
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerbeacon View Post
You’re an attention whore looking for a confrontation and you got one. Now you say you’re surprise B.S! It’s just want you wanted.
Are you kidding me?

How is asking to use the dressing room "being an attention whore looking for a confrontation"

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 15:09..
Old 04-19-2013, 15:14   #26
misunderestimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?
I bet he secured it in his pocket and completely forgot about it. Any time I shed a round I Place it in my pocket immediately for safe keeping.
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:30   #27
misunderestimated

Its always a little nerve wracking having what we all hope is a friendly encounter with a LEO when your armed. I would say things went great for you.You both went home safe, You were not drawn upon with a giant dramatic event in a store.

Chalk it up as a safe lesson learned.

First let me say I don't think you did anything wrong. I can tell you what I do.I never do anything that could be connived as not normal behavior. You are probably the first person ever to ask her to go into the changing room with out clothes to try on and in her mind that made her feel you were doing something bad. Keep this in mind in the future, try not to do anything that is not normal when you have a gun you want to try and blend in and almost become invisible.
Better luck in the future but I think you came out better then you might think.
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:52   #28
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
Its always a little nerve wracking having what we all hope is a friendly encounter with a LEO when your armed. I would say things went great for you.You both went home safe, You were not drawn upon with a giant dramatic event in a store.

Chalk it up as a safe lesson learned.

First let me say I don't think you did anything wrong. I can tell you what I do.I never do anything that could be connived as not normal behavior. You are probably the first person ever to ask her to go into the changing room with out clothes to try on and in her mind that made her feel you were doing something bad. Keep this in mind in the future, try not to do anything that is not normal when you have a gun you want to try and blend in and almost become invisible.
Better luck in the future but I think you came out better then you might think.
Definitely, like I said.. I know things could have went a lot worse.

I didn't really think about that (the not going in to the dressing room with clothes thing) so I suppose that could explain it..

BUT the problem there, is that I told her up front the reason why I wanted to go in - just to check the tag on my current pants so I know which size shorts to get, to make sure they are going to be 1 size larger.

The really strange part about this, is I used to work with this lady like 6 years ago at a different store.

When I approached her to ask to use the dressing room, she was all smiles! She said "hey, how have you been! Don't I know you from somewhere?"

I told her "yeah! we used to work together, remember?"

And everything was fine!! Up until I exited the dressing room, at which point I was accused of "shoving items down my pants!"

LOL I mean wtf? I don't know what to make of that..

Bipolar, much??

Anyway - yeah I spoke with the corporate office and I filed a complaint about her and explained the entire situation.

They couldn't believe their ears either.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 15:53..
Old 04-19-2013, 15:57   #29
Radam3

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

How is asking to use the dressing room "being an attention whore looking for a confrontation"

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic.
I kinda agree...

If you honestly didn't know your pants size, what approach would you take to check???

Me personally, would undo them, drop them to my knees and look between my legs at the tag...

Seems WAY easier than removing my belt and "rig" and trying to read the tag in the mirror!

"I question things because I am human"
Old 04-19-2013, 16:04   #30
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
I kinda agree...

If you honestly didn't know your pants size, what approach would you take to check???

Me personally, would undo them, drop them to my knees and look between my legs at the tag...

Seems WAY easier than removing my belt and "rig" and trying to read the tag in the mirror!

Can't do that in these dressing rooms - there is a giant gap between the floor and the door where people can see in.

I honestly don't know how they even qualify as a dressing room in the first place because of it.

There were little kids in the store. Wasn't gonna take the chance of one being like "mommy the guy in the dressing room just dropped his pants!"

lol I know it sounds crazy, but you would just have to see the dressing room layout for yourself.

Which makes me question even more why they thought I was stealing.. they could see if I was!!!

Literally the only thing I could do was take off the belt to loosen the waist & spin it around as much as possible to see it in the mirror.

On the bright side, I do know what size pants/shorts I need from here out.. lol so something like this will never be happening again in the future.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 16:06..
Old 04-19-2013, 16:47   #31
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but it seems to me that you aren't committing a crime even if you do stick merchandise in your pants. Now if you leave the store without paying for it, you are stealing.

I'm wondering what crime the police were investigating?
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:14   #32
RussP

GLOCK19FTW, I hardly ever, rarer than rarely explain why I close a thread.

Sometimes it is obviously a horrendous rules violation.

Sometimes the thread is just going in endless circles. There is obviously no new territory to discover.

Sometimes the thread has served its purpose. A question is asked and sufficiently answered.

Sometimes, regardless of the reasonableness of the answers given, the questioner will not accept them. In other words, they really do not want an answer.

There are other reasons...

But, sometimes, it is a mercy closing. What is a mercy closing? It is sorta like when the more a poster posts, the deeper his hole gets, and the shorter his ladder to climb out with gets.

The last is why I closed the thread.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 04-19-2013 at 21:14..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 14:31   #33
RussP

Well, guess I owe GLOCK19FTW an apology. We traded some PMs. He's agreed to reopening the thread and posting our exchange so y'all can offer advice and opinions.

Here're the PMs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW
Man, I know people aren't going to believe me.

But I swear to god, everything in that thread happened exactly the way I said it did.

Maybe the only way for anyone to believe me is if they seen the layout of the store & especially the dressing room area for themselves.

Obviously that isn't possible though.

Anyway.. its cool, I don't blame you.

Feel free to just delete the thread completely.

I'm speaking with an attorney tomorrow about it so I guess I don't need the thread anyway.

However, I was not exaggerating anything, and I was not lying about anything.

I do not lie on the internet. If we can't be honest online, we can't be honest anywhere.

But yeah.. you can just delete the thing.

Thanks anyway man
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP
Seriously? An attorney? On what grounds?

This is why I closed the thread.
Quote:
What do you mean on what grounds? This woman had no reason or right to call the police while I was in the dressing room.

I had done nothing wrong. I was not shoving items down my pants, and as others pointed out, even if I had been, it isn't a crime until you try to leave the store without paying.
Quote:
What law did she break for which there is a defined punishment?

And what if there is an absence of a criminal act?

Then what damage did they inflict on you for which they should be compelled to compensate you?
Quote:
I don't know if it's a "law" or not, but LP (loss prevention) in this state instructs employees that they can NOT approach anyone suspected of shoplifting, OR call the police, until they have attempted to leave the store without paying for the items.

So that is the first screw-up she made.

My wife works as an assistant manager at a clothing store, and this is exactly what their loss prevention team has told her on numerous occasions.

The reason why? They said if the employees do not follow these instructions, in this state, the person can legally sue both the company AND the employee.

As for what damage.. hmm, I don't know.. how about slander, defamation of character, emotional distress.. you name it.

I had done nothing wrong at all.

She called the police while I was in a dressing room.

The police show up to investigate what they believe is a criminal who is stealing.

When they get there, that "criminal" turns out to be armed.

I could have been killed because of this woman.

Throw in the fact that I've never had any encounters with law enforcement while carrying before, and my first time was under suspicion of a crime, yeah.. just imagine how scared I was.

The whole thing was just ridiculous..

NOT on the officer's part - I don't blame them one bit for anything. They did nothing wrong.

I blame the woman who called them for no reason, since I was not shoving anything down my pants, and I had never attempted to leave the store.

Going by what LP has stated about shoplifter situations, I have reason to believe that I do in fact have a case against the store and the employee.

BUT the reason I said I will just contact an attorney is because I want to be 100% sure there is a case before I move forward with anything.

I'm not a lawyer. But I'm also not a pushover. What they did was completely uncalled for. If I have to sue and get the woman fired to make that clear, so be it.
Quote:
You know, maybe I owe you an apology and need to reopen your thread. Some other GT members may have had equally frustrating experiences in other businesses, other types of businesses.

Would you object to that and letting me copy and paste these messages to give other members "the rest of the story"?

Heck, someone may have already dealt with an attorney about incidents of customer abuse, too.

Can I reopen the thread for you? Like I said, I'll apologize...

Thanks...
Quote:
No its ok, you can open it & post our conversation if you like.

I just hope you (or anyone else) doesn't think I was putting down the officers, I know they were just doing their job.

My blame is on the way that woman handled the non-situation. lol
Input?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:10   #34
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
I kinda agree...

How is doing what he did in a closed dressing room being an attention whore? Who's attention did he have in a closed dressing room? You seem to be a strange kind of fellow.....
Old 04-20-2013, 15:15   #35
Fipoj

I feel like it's a no harm, no foul situation. But that's just my own humble opinion.

I don't think the clerk was right, but I also don't think you need to go through paying for a lawyer and try to get her fired.

I'm sure management had already taken care of the issue. You could always ask them if they did anything.

It's just my personality to let things go though. The cop would not have shot you unless you didn't follow his directions.

Fipoj
Fipoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:27   #36
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2@low8 View Post
Don't let the store personnel detain you. You have the ability to walk out right up until the point the officer stops you. I will never wait around until the law shows up. Never.
Yup.

Of course security could detain you. Did not sound like they had security. I would have left.

To the OP. Thanks for sharing. Good story.

I had a similar thing happen once in a Walgreens. Lady accused me of walking around and not buying anything.......my wife was shopping and I indeed was walking around and not buying anything. Cop showed up and asked to see my ID. I was wearing a fanny pack with a 38 special in it. When I went for my ID he asked if I had any weapons in there. I told him I did and that I would also show him my CCL. He was fine with that and the situation did not turn out too terribly embracing. My wife never knew I was getting questioned. I even paid for everything that she had in her basket on the way out. When I told her in the car she could not believe it and said that we will never return to that Walgreens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:27   #37
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
GLOCK19FTW, I hardly ever, rarer than rarely explain why I close a thread.

Sometimes it is obviously a horrendous rules violation.

Sometimes the thread is just going in endless circles. There is obviously no new territory to discover.

Sometimes the thread has served its purpose. A question is asked and sufficiently answered.

Sometimes, regardless of the reasonableness of the answers given, the questioner will not accept them. In other words, they really do not want an answer.

There are other reasons...

But, sometimes, it is a mercy closing. What is a mercy closing? It is sorta like when the more a poster posts, the deeper his hole gets, and the shorter his ladder to climb out with gets.

The last is why I closed the thread.
I think that was a good idea.
Old 04-20-2013, 15:32   #38
GLOCK19FTW

lol vettely, I think you may have overlooked his latest post.

@fipoj, I admit its just more about the principle of the matter.

It takes a LOT to really offend me, embarrass me, or degrade me.

This woman managed to pull off all three in a matter of minutes.

I couldn't care less if she loses her job over this. I hope she does.

Maybe then she'll follow LP instructions at her next position, and that is if she has any "power" there at all.

It will also make her snap out of her little fantasy world, where every person who asks to use a dressing room is suddenly a criminal.

As I told the corporate office, if she is doing this to me, she is doing this to a lot of other people.

Not trying to bring race in to this, but this is the truth:

The woman who did this was a white lady.

Now, I'm a white guy, clean-shaven, always respectful to everybody.

The customers who typically shop at this store are african-americans.

So if she is pulling this crap on me, I guarantee she is pulling this on plenty of other customers who are not doing anything wrong.

She definitely has a screw loose..

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-20-2013 at 15:40..
Old 04-20-2013, 15:36   #39
ScottieG59

This was really a non-event and being accused of things is just part of life. The police officer seemed to have been reasonable. Your stress comes from inexperience and confusion.

For the past 30+ years, I have been periodically investigated as part of my government job. I used to find it very insulting and degrading when my loyalty was questioned in interviews. In time, I realized it was part of the process and it was no longer a bother. Others in positions of trust have betrayed the trust and I now support the somewhat intrusive aspects that proves my integrity.

Police officers need to control the encounter. You knew you are a good guy, but he did not. The first step is to ensure you are not a threat. You should simply follow his directions, though it may make you feel like he is treating you disrespectfully. You help yourself by understanding the nature of the interaction.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:38   #40
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I'd be livid at being accused of shoplifting, the clerk should be on the unemployed list I'd contact the store manager, It's not shoplifting until you attempt to leave the store.
as far as the ammo just let it be
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote