GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 13:12   #1
GLOCK19FTW

First encounter with LEO while carrying today - not very pleasant...

Could have been worse though, but yeah.. this is not cool..

I was shopping at a clothing store known for cheap prices.

NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to shop there after this.....

I ask the woman at the counter to use the dressing room so I can look at the tag of my pants that I am wearing, so I can find out exactly which size I need to get for the shorts that I want to buy.

as I'm in the dressing room, I take off my belt & lay my holstered weapon down on the bench, then I spin around and try to check the tag size in the mirror.

After figuring out what size my current pants were so I could get 1 size larger on the shorts, I put my belt back on, put the holster back on, etc.

As I leave the dressing room, this lady tells me "I know what you're doing in there, and the cops are on the way!"

I ask her "what am I doing? I haven't done anything wrong" - she says "We KNOW you're shoving items down your pants, we heard you take the belt off!"

I reply, "no maam, I took my belt off because I have my CWP and I needed to remove my holster - I have nothing down my pants at all."

She says "sure, whatever you say - you can tell it to the cops when they get here!"

So the cops walk in, I hand him my license and my permit. He asks if I am carrying right now, I tell him yes sir.

He secures my weapon. I then tell him he can gladly come in the dressing room with me, and I will strip down to my boxers so he can see that I have NOT shoved anything down my pants. He follows me in, but doesn't have me do that.

He had me spread my legs & he just checked like that.

So then we walk outside to finish talking after I obviously had not stolen anything. On the way out, the cop tells me - why did you bring this in here, didn't you see the sign on the door?

I tell him sir, there is no sign on the door - if there was I would have left this in my car, I never would have ever brought it inside.

We get out front and he says "oh, you're right.. there is not a sign on the door"

So anyway.. even after everything checked out, the cop places my Glock, my magazine, my spare magazine and my knife in the trunk of my car - but he kept the round that I had in the chamber..

What gives?

Those are very expensive rounds.. not to mention you can't even find them anywhere right now.

That is not cool to treat a law-abiding citizen like this..

I even showed the woman my cash in my wallet and told her maam, I am here to spend money - NOT shoplift, as I was waiting on the police.

Again.. WOW is all I can say right now..

I just wanted to get some shorts with belt loops so I can carry in comfort - nothing more.

I am still pretty shook up about this.. as I told the officers, that was my first encounter with LEO's while carrying.. I had done nothing wrong at all.. This is crazy dude.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:17   #2
6StringGeek
full-time n00b

I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?

6StringGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:19   #3
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?
I don't know.. He racked the slide in the store after removing the magazine and it fell on the floor.

I don't know if he picked it up or not, I was too nervous to even notice.

I just highly doubt that an officer would leave that in the store.

So why return my magazines but not that one round?

This sucks. Now I had to replace that chambered round with one from my spare magazine, then replace that one from the spare magazine with a FMJ.

As for doing me a favor by not making me strip down, it wouldn't have bothered me - I have nothing to hide!!

Should I call the sheriff's office & ask? Or just forget about it? Or what?

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 13:21..
Old 04-19-2013, 13:20   #4
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Could have been worse though, but yeah.. this is not cool..

I was shopping at a clothing store known for cheap prices.

NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to shop there after this.....

I ask the woman at the counter to use the dressing room so I can look at the tag of my pants that I am wearing, so I can find out exactly which size I need to get for the shorts that I want to buy.

as I'm in the dressing room, I take off my belt & lay my holstered weapon down on the bench, then I spin around and try to check the tag size in the mirror.

After figuring out what size my current pants were so I could get 1 size larger on the shorts, I put my belt back on, put the holster back on, etc.

As I leave the dressing room, this lady tells me "I know what you're doing in there, and the cops are on the way!"

I ask her "what am I doing? I haven't done anything wrong" - she says "We KNOW you're shoving items down your pants, we heard you take the belt off!"

I reply, "no maam, I took my belt off because I have my CWP and I needed to remove my holster - I have nothing down my pants at all."

She says "sure, whatever you say - you can tell it to the cops when they get here!"

So the cops walk in, I hand him my license and my permit. He asks if I am carrying right now, I tell him yes sir.

He secures my weapon. I then tell him he can gladly come in the dressing room with me, and I will strip down to my boxers so he can see that I have NOT shoved anything down my pants. He follows me in, but doesn't have me do that.

He had me spread my legs & he just checked like that.

So then we walk outside to finish talking after I obviously had not stolen anything. On the way out, the cop tells me - why did you bring this in here, didn't you see the sign on the door?

I tell him sir, there is no sign on the door - if there was I would have left this in my car, I never would have ever brought it inside.

We get out front and he says "oh, you're right.. there is not a sign on the door"

So anyway.. even after everything checked out, the cop places my Glock, my magazine, my spare magazine and my knife in the trunk of my car - but he kept the round that I had in the chamber..

What gives?

Those are very expensive rounds.. not to mention you can't even find them anywhere right now.

That is not cool to treat a law-abiding citizen like this..

I even showed the woman my cash in my wallet and told her maam, I am here to spend money - NOT shoplift, as I was waiting on the police.

Again.. WOW is all I can say right now..

I just wanted to get some shorts with belt loops so I can carry in comfort - nothing more.

I am still pretty shook up about this.. as I told the officers, that was my first encounter with LEO's while carrying.. I had done nothing wrong at all.. This is crazy dude.
Have you called the Department the Officer works for?

If you're honestly interested in answers to your questions, they're the only ones who can provide them.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:24   #5
GLOCK19FTW

No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
Old 04-19-2013, 13:25   #6
Zeebra724

Sorry man--not your day apparently. Did you chew out the store owner for falsely accusing you later? As far as the LEO, I'm not sure if he did anything wrong, but he should have given you back your round, I agree. Did you ask him for it? He probably just forgot about it with everything else going on...

Also, I know it's 20/20 hindsight, but...why not just try on the shorts instead of worrying about your pant's size? I go in dressing rooms every now and I just drop my pants with my weapon still holstered, try on the new clothes, and then get dressed again. I will say that one thing I love about my Galco Summer Comfort is that I can just snap off the holster without removing my belt...hope you have better luck nextime! At least you kept your cool--some guys would have reacted differently and perhaps got in some trouble.
Old 04-19-2013, 13:27   #7
Zeebra724

Quote:
No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol
It's just 1 round, not the whole mag full! Don't lose sleep over 1 round--and I'm guessing that you checked your mag to make sure he didn't put it back in? That is weird though that he didn't pick the round up off the floor...
Old 04-19-2013, 13:28   #8
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post
Sorry man--not your day apparently. Did you chew out the store owner for falsely accusing you later? As far as the LEO, I'm not sure if he did anything wrong, but he should have given you back your round, I agree. Did you ask him for it? He probably just forgot about it with everything else going on...

Also, I know it's 20/20 hindsight, but...why not just try on the shorts instead of worrying about your pant's size? I go in dressing rooms every now and I just drop my pants with my weapon still holstered, try on the new clothes, and then get dressed again. I will say that one thing I love about my Galco Summer Comfort is that I can just snap off the holster without removing my belt...hope you have better luck nextime! At least you kept your cool--some guys would have reacted differently and perhaps got in some trouble.
No, I just left after that.. even if I did go back in, I wouldn't have said anything to the lady.

I'm not trying to have a confrontation with anybody.. even though yes, she did falsely accuse me, its in the past.

Now I'm just worried the officer may have forgot to pick the round up off the floor in the store. I don't recall if he got it or not.. I was just so nervous man.

Not only was it my first encounter with a LEO, it was a scenario where this lady had accused me of shoplifting!! So they already were coming in, thinking I was some kind of criminal.

I was literally shaking.. I had done nothing wrong and I knew that I was carrying. I'm still pretty upset about it as I type this.

But man, talk about EMBARRASSING..

Every person in the store just stopped and started at me when they heard him rack the slide to eject the round.

I have never felt so degraded in my life.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 13:29..
Old 04-19-2013, 13:28   #9
billkill

Quote:
You can always go back to the store and check if the round is in the lost & found.
billkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:32   #10
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
It's just 1 round, not the whole mag full! Don't lose sleep over 1 round--and I'm guessing that you checked your mag to make sure he didn't put it back in? That is weird though that he didn't pick the round up off the floor...
I don't know if he did or not - If not, I'm worried some kid might find it or something. If he DID pick it up & just kept it, that is fine - I'd rather that, than some kid find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkill View Post
You can always go back to the store and check if the round is in the lost & found.
I would, but after this I'm worried they will just call the cops as soon as I walk in since they know I had a weapon on me last time..

I don't know what to do.

That is the ONLY store in this town with shorts for $5.. and I desperately need shorts for summer carry.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 13:32..
Old 04-19-2013, 13:44   #11
Zeebra724

Quote:
I don't know what to do.

That is the ONLY store in this town with shorts for $5.. and I desperately need shorts for summer carry.
If you really need the shorts from THAT store and if you're worried about your presence there then send you wife or a friend in to buy them for you.

Go get some nice shorts with beltloops somewhere else--and if they are more expensive I'd rather another store get the $ anyway. If it were me, I wouldn't set foot in that store again...and the bullet (if it's on the floor) is not going to hurt anyone on it's own, unless a kid tries to swallow it and chokes on it...but with a 9mm round he'd be OK...with a .45 ACP round he might not make it. LOL
Old 04-19-2013, 13:46   #12
oppi27

You wouldnt have had a problem if you didn't let your mom but your pants all the time. I mean who doesn't know what size pants they where.
oppi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:58   #13
GLOCK19FTW

I haven't gone shopping for new pants/shorts in like 2 or 3 years - that's why I wasn't sure what size to get.. my mom doesn't buy them.

lol I just don't check the tag every time I get dressed.. haven't looked at the tag in years.

I agree though, I don't WANT them getting my money after this - but I'm not joking when I say there is nowhere else to buy some good cheap clothes around here.

I am currently waiting on the president of the company to call me back, I am filing a complaint against that woman.

I am also waiting on the supervisor at the sheriff's office to return my call, so I can see if they can get in touch with the officer and make sure he did not leave the round in the store.

Call me paranoid, but I'd rather not have a round of mine laying there if he did forget to pick it up.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 14:00..
Old 04-19-2013, 14:00   #14
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

The idiot clerk is the best part of the story.

If she really thought you were stealing, letting you know the police where coming is the last thing she should have done.

The response of people who have no power, finally getting a taste of a small sliver, is telling.
Old 04-19-2013, 14:04   #15
Zeebra724

Well, hey, now you know your pants size, and don't let this whole scenario ruin your weekend--happy shopping!

Oh, and I really like Old Navy's cargo shorts--and I don't have to buy a bigger size either with their shorts.

Last edited by Zeebra724; 04-19-2013 at 14:04..
Zeebra724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 14:09   #16
Radam3

Quote:
I haven't gone shopping for new pants/shorts in like 2 or 3 years - that's why I wasn't sure what size to get.. my mom doesn't buy them.

lol I just don't check the tag every time I get dressed.. haven't looked at the tag in years.

I agree though, I don't WANT them getting my money after this - but I'm not joking when I say there is nowhere else to buy some good cheap clothes around here.

I am currently waiting on the president of the company to call me back, I am filing a complaint against that woman.

I am also waiting on the supervisor at the sheriff's office to return my call, so I can see if they can get in touch with the officer and make sure he did not leave the round in the store.

Call me paranoid, but I'd rather not have a round of mine laying there if he did forget to pick it up.
I haven't bought new pants / shorts in years myself. I could still tell anyone who asked what size I wear!
And even if I gained or lost weight, I'd still know where to start to try a pair on...?

"I question things because I am human"
Old 04-19-2013, 14:23   #17
GLOCK19FTW

I just spoke to the officer that came in & secured the weapon - thankfully he DOES have the round.

He said it fell out of his hand as we were leaving the store, and he picked it up when he went back in.

Said I can come in & pick it up, or he could bring it to me or whatever.

I told him it's ok, my wife & I still have to go shopping since obviously I wasn't able to buy any shorts due to everything that happened.

He just laughed & said that's fine, go shopping & give him a call on Monday to come & get it.

So yeah.. I'm glad its not still laying in there for some kid to find, that was my main concern.

Another good part is I'm not out a round lol

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
Old 04-19-2013, 14:27   #18
pipedreams

Why did she think you were stealing if you just went in without any merchandise to check your size? Maybe she had a peek hole and was watching and saw the gun. Does not sound like the officer did anything out of the ordinary after receiving the call.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 14:28   #19
2@low8

Don't let the store personnel detain you. You have the ability to walk out right up until the point the officer stops you. I will never wait around until the law shows up. Never.
Old 04-19-2013, 14:29   #20
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikkoolaid View Post
The idiot clerk is the best part of the story.

If she really thought you were stealing, letting you know the police where coming is the last thing she should have done.

The response of people who have no power, finally getting a taste of a small sliver, is telling.
I agree - even funnier, she told me "you can wait for the cops & explain it to them, OR you can just leave now!"

I mean.. HUH?? LOL!! I told her I wasn't going anywhere, I have done nothing wrong so I have no reason to flee. I will wait for the police.
Quote:
Well, hey, now you know your pants size, and don't let this whole scenario ruin your weekend--happy shopping!

Oh, and I really like Old Navy's cargo shorts--and I don't have to buy a bigger size either with their shorts.
Yeah, I'm trying not to let it bother me anymore. Its done & over with now, and I'm getting my chambered round back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
I haven't bought new pants / shorts in years myself. I could still tell anyone who asked what size I wear!
And even if I gained or lost weight, I'd still know where to start to try a pair on...?

"I question things because I am human"
Na.. when I (used to) buy clothes, I just hold them up to my waist & eyeball it.

Always worked good in the past - BUT since I'm also carrying now, I figured I should start going by the actual sizes for a change.

I honestly just wanted to look at the tag in the mirror... I had no idea this whole thing was going to come as a result!

Anyway - one thing that confuses me now, is when I just spoke to the officer he told me that when he entered the store again to get the round from the floor, he told the ladies inside they needed to post a No Concealable Weapons sign "to prevent this kind of thing in the future"

LOL huh?!! He was called there for possible shoplifting.. not a guy with a gun?!

I wasn't about to argue that point with him though, I just thanked him & told him I'd call on Monday to get the round back from him.

...( ‘_’)
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/