GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:54   #381
caraker0341

Legend has it that Piers Morgan hates the 1911....
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34   #382
bac1023

Why did we bring this back again?

It was dead for a month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42   #383
cobalt327
WFO

Unfortunately there will likely never be another JMB. That said, GG has made an important contribution that will remain an icon for the ages. But comparing the two is an apples to oranges exercise IMHO.

Perhaps an interesting comparison would be GG vs. Mikhail Kalashnikov.

cobalt327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40   #384
Andrewsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
For his shortcomings, and he had many - mainly a massive ego and a freedom with the facts, Maxim did develop the first practical gas operated machine gun which was ready for prime time pretty much from initiation. Roughly contemporanous with Hotchkiss and the Lewis, the Maxim used one barrel fed by many cartridges, which differed from Gatling with his many-barreled approach.

It was the _idea_ that massive firepower could be reduced to the personal level that made Browning's development and acceptance possible. That, and a MASSIVE arms race during that era of the early 20th century.

Both (IMHO) Stoner and Kalishnikov deserve honorable mention here, although at least according to Chivers, the AK is more a tribute to the Soviet military bureaucracy than to independent briliance.

But as for the topic of Browning or Glock, I am not sure what the argument is about. There were cars before the Model T, but Ford made the Model T available to the masses. Ford is remembered for the process, not for the vehicle itself.

It is certainly evidence of brilliance that the Browning pattern is still used by so many weapons - who would NOT want to have a BAR to play with??? But while I am neutral on Glocks - I have them and I enjoy them, but not passionate about them - there is much to be said for the utter simplicity of the design and manufacturing technique, and the truly innovative marketing strategies Glock the company has used.
Actually, if I recall correctly, Maxim invented recoil operation and Browning invented gas operation.
Andrewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24   #385
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
Actually, if I recall correctly, Maxim invented recoil operation and Browning invented gas operation.
Correct IIRC as well
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18   #386
uspsgunnut

I have several Glocks, because I can afford them, my Brownings are preciuous and few, <10. Comparing Gaston to Browning is like comparing Vanilla Ice to the Stones/Elvis/Beatles/Elton. Gaston PERFECTED his vision in the first iteration, limited as it may be, it defines the product!!! Polymer, mass produced, uses others designs.
JMB was a genius that will never be matched.

Last edited by uspsgunnut; 07-20-2014 at 14:48.. Reason: clarity
uspsgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24   #387
bac1023

Yeah, I was just about to bring this thread back from the dead myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:31   #388
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, I was just about to bring this thread back from the dead myself.
Especially when it is something new and insightful to add to the dialogue.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:47   #389
brisk21

Is Buster Douglas on the same level as Ali? A one trick pony, that had major help from the Steyr guy, made one design. Albeit an all time great, game changing design that many have successfully copied. JMB single handedly invented many many excellent designs that are used today, over 100 years later. This is one of the silliest questions I've seen on Gtalk.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 13:25   #390
chrisbroz

To answer THAT question, simply compare the firearms patents and amonut of those patents of JMB to those of Herr Glock.

CB in FL...BTW - Herr Glock uses a modified Browning lock up system in his design...the same type of locking system JMB was forced to use as he was designing what became known as the BHP...at the time of that work in progress his -patent for the swinging link system that he'd used on the 1911 was owned by Colt -the patent was scheduled to expire in 1927, so he needed to devise a newer way of unlocking the barrel to the slide and devised the camming system to perform that function.
chrisbroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 13:27   #391
Tiro Fijo

General Firearms Forum
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 13:29   #392
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
General Firearms Forum

Old 07-06-2014, 13:32   #393
DEADEYEGUY

No. Mr. Browning invented several different pistols that changed the World. Add to that Machine Guns and Shotguns he came up with and he developed multiple systems that changed the World. Gaston's gun was innovative. But basically it is one platform that is changed in one way or another to accomodate different calibers. Not even close to Mr. Browning's accomplishments.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 13:37   #394
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticshooter View Post
Hey guys. I'm an enthusiast of both pistols but thought I would ask the same question here as I did on the 1911 Forum.

Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning? I understand John Browning's accomplishmets with his designs but I also understand Gaston Glocks with his. Browning's designs have been around for over 100 years but it looks like Gaston's designs may be the design of the future if it already isn't.. I'm not partial to either design because I own and enjoy them both. I'm just wondering if you think Gaston and Browning are on the same level and why?
They're on the same level the way John J. Loud (first guy to patent the ballpoint pen) is on the same level as Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell.

Hedy Lamarr (yes, the actress.. not hedly) was as significant an inventor as Gaston Glock...and she was hot.

By that, I mean it's a silly question.
Old 07-06-2014, 13:38   #395
DonD

Simply, no. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 13:39   #396
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspsgunnut View Post
I have several Glocks, because I can afford them, my Brownings are preciuous and few, <10. Comparing Gaston to Browning is like comparing Vanilla Ice to the Stones/Elvis/Beatles/Elton. Gaston PERFECTED his vision in the first iteration, limited as it may be, it defines the product!!!
I'm not sure what that means, but I have a suspicion you are saying you like Vanilla Ice better than Elvis.
Old 07-06-2014, 13:44   #397
DEADEYEGUY

p.s. By the way if you doubt what I am saying just look at the Glock pistols. They use a modified form of Brownings tilt action system to operate. So their is a bit of Mr. Browning in Gaston's gun. Not knocking Gaston. Why reinvent the wheel? Since most auto's use some from of the Mr. Browning's system to work why break from a proven system? Good move on Glocks part.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 14:48   #398
Ruggles

"The M2 .50 MG has been in use longer than any other small arm in U.S. inventory except the .45 ACP M1911 pistol, also designed by John Browning."

Winner : JMB by a mile....
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 15:08   #399
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraker0341 View Post
Legend has it that Piers Morgan hates the 1911....
Piers Morgan, the DORK doesnít understand the 2nd Amendment and dislikes all firearms in private hands. More precisely, heís liberal Brit who simply doesnít understand our culture.

Donít let the door hit you in the a-- on the way back to the UK Piers. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 15:26   #400
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYEGUY View Post
p.s. By the way if you doubt what I am saying just look at the Glock pistols. They use a modified form of Brownings tilt action system to operate. So their is a bit of Mr. Browning in Gaston's gun. Not knocking Gaston. Why reinvent the wheel? Since most auto's use some from of the Mr. Browning's system to work why break from a proven system? Good move on Glocks part.
Did you read any of this stupid thread? Most here are well aware of Browning's accomplishments and influence.
method is online now   Reply With Quote