SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2013, 15:05   #1
bamarammin87
h8tr

Saiga. 223 bolt help

Hey guys, have a question. I acquired a .233 saiga minus bolt and bolt carrier group. Which type of bolt heads will work for this? I have heard a 5.45 bolt will work, is that true? Any leads on where to find one? I'm aware I'll have to check headspace and possibly have it adjusted. I just can't tell which ones work. I don't know muh about AKs. Thanks,

Ian
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 20:20   #2
the monk

KVAR has them - http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-557R.html. Looks like they are out of stock but give them a call and they can give you an eta. There are some 5.45 bolts on gunbroker but they are looking really pricey right now. Before the current craziness I was able to pick up a new spare cerakoted for $40.

Certified Glock Armorer
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 00:08   #3
HWI

Even though the Saiga .223 bolt is patterned after the AK-100 bolts which are patterned after the AK-74 bolts I would be doubtful that the 5.45 bolt would reliably function in a 5.56 rifle.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 21:58   #4
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

An AK-74 5.45 bolt and bolt carrier will work. The extractor is slightly looser on the rim. It can be filed slightly to rotate inward more to fit the rim as tightly but it usually isn't required for reliable function. I doubt K-var will have any more 223 Saiga bolts or parts for sale. The ones they were selling were likely from Arsenal USA conversions that were damaged while welding up the extra receiver holes or somehow otherwise damaged during the conversion. I think somebody else is doing the conversions now. Be careful of slamfires with an AK-74 5.45 bolt as the firing pin is not spring loaded like the 223 Saiga one is.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 04-26-2013 at 21:59..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote