SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2013, 19:08   #21
dwbG30SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
Have a few pre 80's 1911's and a 30sf.....although I've gained respect for the Glock, it's a brick compared to my Series 70's... but who can argue with 10 rounds of .45acp......OMO.
I agree 100%, the 1911's are fantastic firearms, and I have owned quite a few over the years. But for CC or even OC, I much prefer my Glock, or my Sig P220 over the 1911's.

It comes down to what you feel the most comfortable with.

Last edited by dwbG30SF; 03-13-2013 at 19:09..
dwbG30SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 00:36   #22
Glockumollie

Hi, well I too had used a 1911 since 1980 and nothings sweeter than a crisp 3 1/2 pound single action colt auto but even having the top end 1911 platforms I couldn't shake the worry of having seen many a beautiful 1911 have a stoppage during competitions.Then I was introduced to the glocks that for years I laughed off as a plastic gun. I have total confidence in the reliability of a brand new glock right out of the box. I'v researched the accuracy of the 30s and on good authority found them capable of 1inch groups at 25yards. Thats as accurate as any Colt 1911 I was ever issued as a Bullseye shooter or purchased on my own. I just cant ignore the reliability issue as I consider it the most important feature of any pistol for self defense. Hey thanks for reply. Take care and may all your rounds fly true.
Glockumollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 20:38   #23
JACKSON1

Congrats on the 30SF! You're not going to go wrong with the 30, 30SF, or 30S. As with most things in life it's a subjective matter of taste, or what feels "best" for you. I wouldnt lose a minute of sleep over having ANY of those models next to my bed at night. In fact my Glock 30 is next to it now.
JACKSON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49   #24
shogun1975

I live in semi-rural Indiana, six months ago I paid 545 for brand new G21. Last week I bought a brand new G30 for 586. Good luck to you.
shogun1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 13:30   #25
xXxplosive

"Pocket Freight Train".........Pocket Gun .......Really ?
xXxplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 15:18   #26
Glockumollie

Thanks for the reply. It was what Mas Ayoob said about the 1inch groups at 25yards that really made the choice for me. To me that is Match accuracy. I can't wait to shoot it. May all your rounds fly true.
Old 03-15-2013, 16:34   #27
xXxplosive

Shooting 1" groups with a 5.5 lb. trigger isn't the gun ...IMO.
All these production guns are way more accurate then most shooters out of the box....anyway....IMO.
xXxplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:15   #28
ithaca_deerslayer

How accurate can you shoot your best 5" or less iron sighted handgun at 25 yards, off-hand.

That would be real interesting to know

Looking forward to your benchrest testing results of your new gun.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 03-15-2013 at 19:15..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:48   #29
dwbG30SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
"Pocket Freight Train".........Pocket Gun .......Really ?
No, not really, that was just a joke dude............wow.
Old 03-15-2013, 22:25   #30
Glockumollie

Not really sure what you mean by what your saying. I want to make my self clear. I did not say I could shoot 1inch groups at 25 yards. I said a Glock 30 is capable of doing it. I shot bullseye 3 gun in the gaurd for ten years over 20 years ago. Haven;t shot alot lately but as soon as i have my knee surgery and get back on my feet I plan on getting out and shooting a bit this spring and summer. I don't really plan on competing just out to have a good time and maintain at least a decent level of ability. I think these glocks are great guns for both reliability and accuracy. I used to shoot only 1911 type 45's.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:03   #31
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockumollie View Post
Not really sure what you mean by what your saying. I want to make my self clear. I did not say I could shoot 1inch groups at 25 yards. I said a Glock 30 is capable of doing it. I shot bullseye 3 gun in the gaurd for ten years over 20 years ago. Haven;t shot alot lately but as soon as i have my knee surgery and get back on my feet I plan on getting out and shooting a bit this spring and summer. I don't really plan on competing just out to have a good time and maintain at least a decent level of ability. I think these glocks are great guns for both reliability and accuracy. I used to shoot only 1911 type 45's.
What I'm saying is that to me, there is not a lot of difference between a stock combat style iron sighted handgun that in a mechanical rest groups at 15/16" versus one that groups at 1 1/16". I can off-hand shoot such a gun around 2" at 25 yards, on a good day. Add a red dot, then things get a little better, and the sub 1" gun is really appreciated

I think the supposed and theoretical difference between models of Glocks is overblown. There will be much more difference within a model than between models. I'm not aware of any statistical sampling coupled with accurracy testing of the difference between models, and within models, to say otherwise. And yes, I've read and respect Massad Ayoob.

But being a fellow bullseye shooter I understand your pursuit to the most accurate handgun you can get.
So I was just curious to know what your current off-hand groups were. And would also like to know what groups you are able to benchrest out of your gun, when you get the chance to do that.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:34   #32
Glockumollie

Well here's one thing you might try. Its called ball and dummy training. First practice dry firing a thousand or so times keeping your eyes on the front sight until after the trigger breaks. When the trigger breaks look closely and observe where the front sight was when the trigger breaks, remember front sight in sharp focus and continue to increase pressure on the trigger squeezing straight to the rear until the weapon goes off as a surprise. Now get a hold of some dummy rounds and have someone load them in with live rounds (we are now in live fire exercise now) into a magazine. The idea is you wont know when the trigger is going to break on a live round or a dummy. So keeping your eyes on the front sight always when the trigger falls on a dummy round you will be able to see if you are flinching or not and if you are you will see it very clearly. Its an old but very good training aid second only to dry firing in my opinion. May all your rounds fly true. Practice ,practice ,practice,. Dry firing is an exellent method of practice and is very cheap.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:45   #33
ithaca_deerslayer

That's exactly what I teach. Good pointers for the newbies

Old 03-21-2013, 08:26   #34
dooga
New to Glocks

Send a message via AIM to dooga Send a message via MSN to dooga Send a message via Yahoo to dooga Send a message via Skype™ to dooga
An excellent reminder higher up in the thread that the Glock G30S won't allow you to run 10mm conversion through the gun... that it's .45 ACP only. That might be a deal-breaker for some people.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:18   #35
Glockumollie

Hi, In a tactical situation shooting and moving are two important elements that must be employed as well as use of all avaliable cover. Cover is anything that you can put between you and the incoming bullets to provide protection. Steel, concrete and thick trees are a few good examples of what can provide you cover. This is not to be confuzed with concealment wich hides you from observation but provides no cover or protection from incoming objects such as bullets. A thick shrub or a wall made of plywood are two examples of somethings that could conceal you but offer no protection from fire. Rather you choose to regress or exit the area will require movement. Perhaps you would like to help your love ones get as far away as soon as possible. Having more bullets will be very useful in helping accomplish this goal. One tactic used is called suppresive fire. Bullets are fired at a rate of 1 per second at the enemy to keep his head down and try to make him stop making well aimed shots at you. This is the best time for either you or your love ones to move out of the area. This is just one reason its always nice to have more ammunition and this is just an example of a defensive use of extra ammo. Any forward or offensive movement could also employ more ammunition to move to a better position. These are only a couple examples of why more ammunition makes tactical sense. Like I've always told anyone who claimed I had too many guns: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY GUNS, YOU CAN ONLY BE RUNNING LOW ON AMMUNITION.
Old 03-29-2013, 17:50   #36
E'villeGunner

Proud owner of a 30sf here. Bought it at a gun auction here in good ole Evansville, IN. I didn't actually go looking for it, it kinda just followed me home and the missus said I could keep her. The gavel was about ready to fall on her at $540 and for some reason my hand shot up at $550. I honestly don't think it's ever been fired. Came in its own case with all papers and stuff that comes with it. Nothing has been opened, ie, the manual, the lock, etc. The pistol is as slick as a whistle! This is my first 45acp. Looking forward to shooting as soon as I can acquire some ammo for it.
E'villeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 17:52   #37
E'villeGunner

Am considering adding night sights to my 30sf, any opinions as to which are better? The trijicons or glock factory?
E'villeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 19:27   #38
dwbG30SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'villeGunner View Post
Am considering adding night sights to my 30sf, any opinions as to which are better? The trijicons or glock factory?
I just posted this in another thread, but I will share it with you, as it does apply. I own a G30SF also, and have been wanting to remove those plastic factory sights and replace them with night sights. Trijicon is "IMO" top of the line in tritium tube technology sights.

So........
After quite a bit of research, I have purchased a set of Aro-Tek Trijicon night sights. I like the Novak design of the rear sight, as well as the way it clamps into the dovetail rather than being pressed in. This will allow windage drift adjustments at the range with a hex head tool. No need to have a sight pusher. Plus, the sight set comes with the tool to remove the front sight.

I spoke with the guy at Aro-Tek and they have been making these sights for 20 years, with no issues. I really like the robust look of these suckers, they just belong on a Glock.

Test-Posts Here

Test-Posts Here

The Glock factory sights are good I'm sure, but my money is on Trijicon.

Last edited by dwbG30SF; 03-30-2013 at 05:29..
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41   #39
SGT67

A few years ago Glock was installing Meprolight night sights at the factory ,not sure if this is still the case though.
PA Glocker #168
Big Dawgs #1451
Kalashnikov#1451
Black Rifle #1451
21 Club #1451
SGT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 17:49   #40
cbird77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8473 View Post
I'm looking to get the glock 30s over the xdm 45
I too made this same decision!