Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-10-2013, 13:13   #1
vart

What is wrong with my leg?!

So, I started walking/running again to help lose weight.

I only went a mile, walked the first couple hundred yards, then started jogging.

No pain, just out of breath.

Drove to work an hour and a half away and when I got to work and got out of my car, my right leg was in pain when I extended it.

The pain is behind my knee and not the knee itself. It hurts only when the leg is being extended.

The injury occurred 2 weeks ago and very, very slowly getting better...

I haven't ran or walked (other than coming into work) since the injury.

Any idea what I could have done and any suggestions to speed up recovery?

Since it is slooowly getting better, I haven't gone to the doctor, yet...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:18   #2
BuckeyePPC

Water on the knee ? It's something I used to hear about athletes having when I was back in school.
BuckeyePPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:19   #3
Steve0853

Vart......the problem is that your leg is getting old.

Sounds a little like a torn meniscus. Google it. I had that a few years ago and had to have arthroscopic surgery to repair it.

Yours don't sound as severe as mine. Occasionally, I could barely walk with mine.
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:19   #4
eaglefrq
NRA Member

It could also be your IT band: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/k..._Band_Pain.htm

I had this happen in 2002 and the pain was very sharp and intense. I have to make sure I stretch well before and after a workout, to prevent this from happening again.

I would still recommend going to your Dr and have him evaluate the knee to make sure you didn't damage your ACL or MCL.

Last edited by eaglefrq; 04-10-2013 at 13:20..
eaglefrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:20   #5
John Rambo
Raven

To lose weight? I'm assuming you're overweight and out of shape? Your body isn't strong enough to carry itself over prolonged high-impact exercise like running and you're getting injured. I don't claim to know what kind of injury it is, but I can tell you the likely solution. Do you have access to an elliptical? The eliptical can be like training wheels until you're up to snuff to run.

Last edited by John Rambo; 04-10-2013 at 13:21..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:51   #6
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

You got the 'jimmy leg.'
Old 04-10-2013, 14:10   #7
Officer X

Sounds just like the pain I had from a torn meniscus. Just had it scoped this morning.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:45   #8
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
Sounds just like the pain I had from a torn meniscus. Just had it scoped this morning.
I assume those don't heal on their own...

Old 04-10-2013, 15:53   #9
m2hmghb

Vart I don't see a GP or a sports injury physician posting so you might want to have it looked at and an MRI done if it keeps up. Feel better.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:14   #10
Officer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
I assume those don't heal on their own...
No they don't. They have to go in and clean up/snip out the torn pieces. Doc said if I could deal with the pain, I could have done without getting it done but then I chanced doing more damage as the torn pieces moved around inside the knee.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:30   #11
dwhite53

That pain behind your knee could be a developing bakers cyst from leakage around your torn meniscus.

See a sports medicine doctor. They'll want an MRI to see what's going on.

Had my right knee scoped in 1999. Had it done again March of last year. I've got a $40,000 right knee. I'm careful with it. Doc said next timeI get a NEW knee.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 04-10-2013 at 16:31..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:47   #12
jfost11

A friend of my wife decided she was going to run in an annual 5K held in our area. She is a small framed woman that is in no danger of being called overweight. She started with a three mile jog/walk that ended in serous pain before she could finish. The pain didn't get better after a week and she got checked out. Turns out she was not built to run. The X-rays showed hairline fractures to the tibia/fibula at both knees and I believe at one ankle as well. She was wheelchair bound for 6 weeks.

You just never know when you're going to fall apart or how bad it will be. Take the advice of others and see a physician.
jfost11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:51   #13
crazymoose
Nonentity

Can't help with the diagnosis, but can offer some advice after you get it checked out/fixed.

Running is not great for heavier guys, especially ones just getting back into shape. Your body has to adapt to it, and not just in terms of cardio endurance. Your muscles and joints need to get stronger to handle the pounding that running puts on them, and jumping headfirst into more than you can take will put a hurting on your body. Personally, I'd do a lot of walking/hiking, biking (regular or stationary), etc. to get back into the swing of things. If you like to lift, squats to help build up your leg muscle and tendon strength. Even just a bunch of bodyweight squats if you don't want to join a gym. Then when you get back into running, do it slowly. Walk mostly, run for shorter periods. Slowly increase the run:walk ratio each time out in small increments. Also, good running shoes and trail or dirt running will help avoid some of the impact. Running on asphalt puts a lot of extra stress on the knees. Cement roads or sidewalks are the absolute worst.

I'm a larger guy and even though I'm fairly young, doing too much running too soon has given me some bouts of knee pain/discomfort in the past.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 04-10-2013 at 16:54..
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:51   #14
Huaco Kid

Are you Richard Pryor?
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:14   #15
Chesafreak

Quote:
So, I started walking/running again to help lose weight.

I only went a mile, walked the first couple hundred yards, then started jogging.

No pain, just out of breath.

Drove to work an hour and a half away and when I got to work and got out of my car, my right leg was in pain when I extended it.

The pain is behind my knee and not the knee itself. It hurts only when the leg is being extended.

The injury occurred 2 weeks ago and very, very slowly getting better...

I haven't ran or walked (other than coming into work) since the injury.

Any idea what I could have done and any suggestions to speed up recovery?

Since it is slooowly getting better, I haven't gone to the doctor, yet...
I'm thinking torn meniscus as well. Does it hurt more after you first stand up after sitting for prolonged periods of time, then feel a little better after you walk it off?

I have torn the medial meniscus in my right knee and had surgery for it. The symptoms were exactly as you described with the addition of stiffness and pain when I first stand after sitting a while, then I would walk it off and the pain would get a little better until I repeated the process by sitting down for a while.

Now I have torn the meniscus in my left knee while doing a plyometric workout. I haven't been to the doctor for it. I know what's wrong with it and I'm not in any hurry to have another surgery. The pain went away after a few weeks and only comes back if I do any running or lots of jumping. I plan on waiting until next winter to get surgery. This time is very minor compared to my first meniscus tear.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 04-10-2013 at 17:32..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:16   #16
Drain You
NRA member

The Okie Corral
*beep beep*
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:50   #17
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
Torn meniscus is possible, but unlikely IMO. Generally, you get meniscal tears from activities that place rotational strain, such when you go hiking over rough terrain. They are also generally associated with a pop and pain. Of course we all know that real life does not always follow the textbook, so...

OP, it is impossible to diagnose your problem over the internet, and I would worry that you may get wrong opinions that keep you from seeking medical attention. It can be something as simple as a muscle spasm, and this is what I am leaning towards based on nothing more than your description. Or it can be a stretched ligament, meniscus, effusion, inflammation, and a host of other things. My suggestion is that if you definitely think it's not right, get it checked out. Your GP should know the tests to check out the ligaments and menisci of the knee. If it is something more serious, delaying treatment will make it worse.

Last edited by sputnik767; 04-10-2013 at 17:53..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:18   #18
JackMac

See the Doctor, it may very well become worse or chronic if not treated correctly. See the Doctor. No one on this site can give you medical advice even if they were an MD as any responsible MD will want to physically examine his or her patient, an internet blog exam is first class malpractice. See the Doctor.
Old 04-10-2013, 19:35   #19
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
I'm thinking torn meniscus as well. Does it hurt more after you first stand up after sitting for prolonged periods of time, then feel a little better after you walk it off?
Those are exactly the symptoms!

I have no doctor. My doc left 8 months ago to move back to the Midwest and there are no more doctors in my area that are approved by my health provider.

Even when there were some a couple of years ago, the wait to see them was 2-3 months.

I do get free healthcare through the VA as a service-connected disabled vet, so I could go to their ER to get treated, or else it's a 2-month wait to get scheduled...

Old 04-10-2013, 20:01   #20
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

I don't have any opinion on what's whats wrong with you,but good luck getting better

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 20:16   #21
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Ask your doctor if you're healthy enough to begin an exercise regimen.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45   #22
Chesafreak

Quote:
Those are exactly the symptoms!

I have no doctor. My doc left 8 months ago to move back to the Midwest and there are no more doctors in my area that are approved by my health provider.

Even when there were some a couple of years ago, the wait to see them was 2-3 months.

I do get free healthcare through the VA as a service-connected disabled vet, so I could go to their ER to get treated, or else it's a 2-month wait to get scheduled...
Depending on how bad the tear is, you could forego treatment for a while. I was deploying days after I tore a meniscus the first time, and waited until after my deployment was over to have it fixed. This time the pain wasn't as bad as the first time. I'm waiting until after our planned vacations are over this summer to go see a doc. I have 20 more pounds to lose before then and don't want the down time.

As long as I don't do any running or plyometric exercises it doesn't hurt anymore. I stay in shape by using the elliptical and do a crossfit style workout at home. No more running or plyometrics for me. Even after I get it fixed I'm going to have to avoid those activities. At my size (6'2", 240 lbs) and age (43) I'm going to have to take better care of my knees. And no, I'm not fat. I can see my abs if I get down to about 220 lbs. I'm working on that.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 04-11-2013 at 06:46..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:23   #23
joedoc

If the pain is behind the knee it may just be strain of hamstring tendon
Bakers cyst also hurts back there
Advil and time may help till you find a doc you trust
Old 04-11-2013, 20:34   #24
Roger1079

If it has been a long time since you have exercised, you are subjecting your body to something it is not used to, and jogging/running on pavement is high impact. Even with the a good pair of running shoes, your joints get a good thrashing from even a short run.

See your doctor first about the pain to make sure it is nothing serious, then talk about appropriate exercise for you. I was actually surprised when my doctor told me that at 6'0" and 205lb (overweight, but nothing out of control), all I needed was about a one mile brisk walk to get my heartrate up enough to be cardiovascularly beneficial as well as burn a reasonable amount of calories. You don't have to end your workout in pain for the workout to be good for you. My docotr also suggested stretching as a warmup and cool down to loosen the muscles to help alleviate any possible discomfort from the exercise.

Last edited by Roger1079; 04-11-2013 at 20:35..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:41   #25
coastal4974

See a sports medicine doc
Walk to lose some weight before you start thinking about running.
Get stretching exercises from that doc.