SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 13:54   #41
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
I would depress it and file off the part still sticking up above the rest of the troger.
This is exactly what I did with my first G17. Trigger hurt my finger just after a couple of shots. The second G17 I bought used, and it has never bothered me.

In the photo below, you can see a little ramp like place in the trigger. That shows how much I took off. When the trigger is all the way back, the safety is flush with the trigger. Pain went away. I did it with a Dremel, and was very careful about it.

General Glocking
Old 10-04-2012, 15:25   #42
dusty_dragon

nice pic, thanks buddy
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:13   #43
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Wether some one undercuts their trigger guard,stipples their gun has the slide front serrated,installs night sights, shaves the parting line off their trigger is up to them. That is a decision each one has to make,you know that thing called free choice. SJ 40
I wouldn't dispute that for one second. I just said it's something I wouldn't do. For the record I don't think it's a good idea. But you are absolutely right: your gun, your choice. Also for the record, I don't think any of the other mods you listed above fall into the same category as a mod to one of the safety devices. Just my opinion. People do post opinions here. Take it for whatever you think it's worth.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:38   #44
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
I wouldn't dispute that for one second. I just said it's something I wouldn't do. For the record I don't think it's a good idea. But you are absolutely right: your gun, your choice. Also for the record, I don't think any of the other mods you listed above fall into the same category as a mod to one of the safety devices. Just my opinion. People do post opinions here. Take it for whatever you think it's worth.
All things that can make a gun more user friendly. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:42   #45
glockarmor

For personal use I grind all my serrated triggers smooth and take enough off of the bar in the middle of the trigger that it is flush with the trigger when I pull it. I would imagine that Glock didn't intend for it to protrude when the trigger is depressed but tolerance wise it's safer to err on the "long" side rather than the possibility of the trigger safety being too short and the pistol not firing.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10   #46
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

What is this Glock 19 used for? I doubt that it is for competition because it is a Glock 19, so why the really low trigger weight? It can't be for carry because of the lack of concern over the safety. Well I can't say what the hell it might be used for, but whatever it is, i'll bet dollars to donuts there will be a negligent discharge in the future.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21   #47
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I agree on all points.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05   #48
English

Quote:
Well, being a curious sort I just had to know. I took my Glock 19 Gen 4 down into the shop, taped the trigger safety to disable it, checked 5 times to make sure it was empty, set the trigger, and whacked the back of the slide with a mallet (rubber face on one side, plastic face on the other). I tried several times. To my surprise, if I hit it hard enough with the plastic face of the mallet I was able to get the trigger to pull and striker to fall. I got it to do it several times.

I consider myself educated. Yes, the Glock trigger safety is needed and is good design. Thank you, English, for correcting me on this.

As a side note, and more relevant to this thread, I would never modify the trigger safety or any other safety on any gun, especially one I keep in the nightstand or carry. Even if I thought the safety was a total waste (which up until a few minutes ago I did), I still would not touch it. I would be too concerned about legal issues in case of an AD or even an intentional self defense shooting. Even if it were just a range gun or competition gun I wouldn't do it. You can have an AD at the range or in competition as well as anywhere else. Even knowing that what is being discussed here will not affect the function of the trigger safety, and I do believe that, I still wouldn't do it. Once you have made any modification to a safety mechanism the deed is done, and you have given some slimy lawyer all he/she needs to crucify you.
Reasoning is great but experiment is final! Thanks for making the effort.

A further thought on this is that an impact might create, say, a 300G acceleration. That will push the trigger bar backwards with a lot of force. It will also push the firing pin backwards at the same time and so will reduce the friction between the cruciform and te firing pin lug. It is nice to know this all really does work.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29   #49
E the B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackinoff View Post
MNBud and English, Wow. That was easy and it turned out exactly how I wanted it. What a treat.

Thanks.
Plus One for all the advice and kudos on this thread. My G19 Gen 4 now has a trigger safety that pulls flush to the trigger. I used several long, slow swipes with a round file, then finished it with 400 and 600 grit paper.

The trigger is soooo much more comfortable now, and works just like before.

Thanks to all!

Last edited by E the B; 01-12-2013 at 06:30.. Reason: My sloppy spelling
E the B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:23   #50
dusty_dragon

congrats E the B

how did you toggle the trigger safety lever at the exact position, so that it didn't always dive inside the triggerblade when touching with the round file / grit paper?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29   #51
MNBud

Quote:
Well, being a curious sort I just had to know. I took my Glock 19 Gen 4 down into the shop, taped the trigger safety to disable it, checked 5 times to make sure it was empty, set the trigger, and whacked the back of the slide with a mallet (rubber face on one side, plastic face on the other). I tried several times. To my surprise, if I hit it hard enough with the plastic face of the mallet I was able to get the trigger to pull and striker to fall. I got it to do it several times.

I consider myself educated. Yes, the Glock trigger safety is needed and is good design. Thank you, English, for correcting me on this.

As a side note, and more relevant to this thread, I would never modify the trigger safety or any other safety on any gun, especially one I keep in the nightstand or carry. Even if I thought the safety was a total waste (which up until a few minutes ago I did), I still would not touch it. I would be too concerned about legal issues in case of an AD or even an intentional self defense shooting. Even if it were just a range gun or competition gun I wouldn't do it. You can have an AD at the range or in competition as well as anywhere else. Even knowing that what is being discussed here will not affect the function of the trigger safety, and I do believe that, I still wouldn't do it. Once you have made any modification to a safety mechanism the deed is done, and you have given some slimy lawyer all he/she needs to crucify you.
This was my point in an earlier post EXCEPT poster did NOT tape the safety back.Take your Glock back to the basement and check ONCE to ensure it is unloaded and do the same experiment WITHOUT the tape and see if it will discharge!! The poster I was referring to was dropping his to the floor which I don't believe is necessary. Let us know how this works out.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37   #52
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBud View Post
This was my point in an earlier post EXCEPT poster did NOT tape the safety back.Take your Glock back to the basement and check ONCE to ensure it is unloaded and do the same experiment WITHOUT the tape and see if it will discharge!! The poster I was referring to was dropping his to the floor which I don't believe is necessary. Let us know how this works out.
I would check more than ONCE to ensure that it is unloaded.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54   #53
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I would check more than ONCE to ensure that it is unloaded.
I have NEVER had a gun re-load itself, When I drop a magazine and pull the slide back and look into the chamber of any of my firearms and they are empty, they seem to stay that way. You may jack a slide five or ten times and if you have a broken extractor, it in theory could leave a round in the chamber, but if you visually inspect the chamber and it is EMPTY it is going to STAY empty. This gun will be unloaded.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:12   #54
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I have NEVER had a gun re-load itself, When I drop a magazine and pull the slide back and look into the chamber of any of my firearms and they are empty, they seem to stay that way. You may jack a slide five or ten times and if you have a broken extractor, it in theory could leave a round in the chamber, but if you visually inspect the chamber and it is EMPTY it is going to STAY empty. This gun will be unloaded.
Checking more than once is about us being human and having the ability to make mistakes.

Checking a gun multiple times, and both visually as well as physically, is common practice and is highly recommended...ESPECIALLY when you are about to engage in an activity specifically designed to see if the gun will fire.

I just find some rather peculiar about emphasizing the suggestion to check "ONCE".

Last edited by Warp; 01-12-2013 at 10:13..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02   #55
dhgeyer

Quote:
You go ahead. I don't feel like pounding on my gun anymore.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59   #56
TruthNotRelative

I understand that not everyone feels comfortable disassembling their Glock lowers, but the trigger safety mod is much easier accomplished with the trigger/triggerbar removed from the pistol.
This allows one to depress the safety from the opposite end, while working on the "offending" end of the safety, imho.
You can "intermittently" check your work this way by depressing the safety from the opposite end without your booger finger in the way. Again, mho. This is how I did mine anyhoo.
I did find, from past experience (this happened once), that by removing too much material at the "pivot point", that this can cause the safety to protrude out of the trigger to the front (spring forward). I might stay away from working that point too much when sanding/filing (or at least exercise some caution). Don't know if that makes sense.
I do have an old "serrated" trigger that I modded this way where the safety "sprang forward" by filing to much in the above mentioned area, I can add pics of this "boo boo" at request.
In any case, I like this mod. After all, after market triggers (many of them) correct this "oversight".
As far as "lawyers" are concerned, mod away, as long as you do not change (in any way) the intended operation of any safety on any pistol. Again, mho. Thanks.
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 02:13..
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16   #57
dusty_dragon

please post some pics of the trigger you filed/sanded off to much
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26   #58
Pred8tory
Lifetime Membership
Retired Copper

Just buy another brand gun.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32   #59
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
please post some pics of the trigger you filed/sanded off to much
I pulled the trigger out of my gun parts box and snapped some pics, and I realized that it was a serrated trigger that I modified into a "non-serrated trigger" as well, which may have contributed to the safety "springing forward". In any case, pic below.
General Glocking
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 10:41..
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49   #60
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

You've taken a weapon that ran was great to begin with and molested it big time. If it still doesn't "feel good" to you, sanding isn't going to help.