SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:29   #51
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
Well, being a curious sort I just had to know. I took my Glock 19 Gen 4 down into the shop, taped the trigger safety to disable it, checked 5 times to make sure it was empty, set the trigger, and whacked the back of the slide with a mallet (rubber face on one side, plastic face on the other). I tried several times. To my surprise, if I hit it hard enough with the plastic face of the mallet I was able to get the trigger to pull and striker to fall. I got it to do it several times.

I consider myself educated. Yes, the Glock trigger safety is needed and is good design. Thank you, English, for correcting me on this.

As a side note, and more relevant to this thread, I would never modify the trigger safety or any other safety on any gun, especially one I keep in the nightstand or carry. Even if I thought the safety was a total waste (which up until a few minutes ago I did), I still would not touch it. I would be too concerned about legal issues in case of an AD or even an intentional self defense shooting. Even if it were just a range gun or competition gun I wouldn't do it. You can have an AD at the range or in competition as well as anywhere else. Even knowing that what is being discussed here will not affect the function of the trigger safety, and I do believe that, I still wouldn't do it. Once you have made any modification to a safety mechanism the deed is done, and you have given some slimy lawyer all he/she needs to crucify you.
This was my point in an earlier post EXCEPT poster did NOT tape the safety back.Take your Glock back to the basement and check ONCE to ensure it is unloaded and do the same experiment WITHOUT the tape and see if it will discharge!! The poster I was referring to was dropping his to the floor which I don't believe is necessary. Let us know how this works out.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37   #52
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBud View Post
This was my point in an earlier post EXCEPT poster did NOT tape the safety back.Take your Glock back to the basement and check ONCE to ensure it is unloaded and do the same experiment WITHOUT the tape and see if it will discharge!! The poster I was referring to was dropping his to the floor which I don't believe is necessary. Let us know how this works out.
I would check more than ONCE to ensure that it is unloaded.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54   #53
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I would check more than ONCE to ensure that it is unloaded.
I have NEVER had a gun re-load itself, When I drop a magazine and pull the slide back and look into the chamber of any of my firearms and they are empty, they seem to stay that way. You may jack a slide five or ten times and if you have a broken extractor, it in theory could leave a round in the chamber, but if you visually inspect the chamber and it is EMPTY it is going to STAY empty. This gun will be unloaded.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12   #54
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I have NEVER had a gun re-load itself, When I drop a magazine and pull the slide back and look into the chamber of any of my firearms and they are empty, they seem to stay that way. You may jack a slide five or ten times and if you have a broken extractor, it in theory could leave a round in the chamber, but if you visually inspect the chamber and it is EMPTY it is going to STAY empty. This gun will be unloaded.
Checking more than once is about us being human and having the ability to make mistakes.

Checking a gun multiple times, and both visually as well as physically, is common practice and is highly recommended...ESPECIALLY when you are about to engage in an activity specifically designed to see if the gun will fire.

I just find some rather peculiar about emphasizing the suggestion to check "ONCE".

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-12-2013 at 09:13..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02   #55
dhgeyer

Quote:
You go ahead. I don't feel like pounding on my gun anymore.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59   #56
TruthNotRelative

I understand that not everyone feels comfortable disassembling their Glock lowers, but the trigger safety mod is much easier accomplished with the trigger/triggerbar removed from the pistol.
This allows one to depress the safety from the opposite end, while working on the "offending" end of the safety, imho.
You can "intermittently" check your work this way by depressing the safety from the opposite end without your booger finger in the way. Again, mho. This is how I did mine anyhoo.
I did find, from past experience (this happened once), that by removing too much material at the "pivot point", that this can cause the safety to protrude out of the trigger to the front (spring forward). I might stay away from working that point too much when sanding/filing (or at least exercise some caution). Don't know if that makes sense.
I do have an old "serrated" trigger that I modded this way where the safety "sprang forward" by filing to much in the above mentioned area, I can add pics of this "boo boo" at request.
In any case, I like this mod. After all, after market triggers (many of them) correct this "oversight".
As far as "lawyers" are concerned, mod away, as long as you do not change (in any way) the intended operation of any safety on any pistol. Again, mho. Thanks.
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 02:13..
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16   #57
dusty_dragon

please post some pics of the trigger you filed/sanded off to much
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26   #58
Pred8tory
Lifetime Membership
Retired Copper

Just buy another brand gun.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32   #59
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
please post some pics of the trigger you filed/sanded off to much
I pulled the trigger out of my gun parts box and snapped some pics, and I realized that it was a serrated trigger that I modified into a "non-serrated trigger" as well, which may have contributed to the safety "springing forward". In any case, pic below.
General Glocking

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 10:41..
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49   #60
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

You've taken a weapon that ran was great to begin with and molested it big time. If it still doesn't "feel good" to you, sanding isn't going to help.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:08   #61
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
You've taken a weapon that ran was great to begin with and molested it big time. If it still doesn't "feel good" to you, sanding isn't going to help.
I guess my advice to you would then be, don't "molest" your weapon then. My Glock pistol belongs to me, if I see fit to make minor modifications to suit me, why the heck would that bother you? You're not going to be shooting it.

BTW, if I drop in an after-market trigger that has this same "mod", am I "molesting" my weapon?

Personally, I think your comment is short-sighted. I don't see how shaving a trigger safety down (as it should be from the factory) to increase personal comfort equals "molesting it big time". Frankly that's just dumb.

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 11:09..
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14   #62
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthNotRelative View Post
I guess my advice to you would then be, don't "molest" your weapon then. My Glock pistol belongs to me, if I see fit to make minor modifications to suit me, why the heck would that bother you? You're not going to be shooting it.

BTW, if I drop in an after-market trigger that has this same "mod", am I "molesting" my weapon?

Personally, I think your comment is short-sighted. I don't see how shaving a trigger safety down (as it should be from the factory) to increase personal comfort equals "molesting it big time". Frankly that's just dumb.
I agree, He needs to check on his TPS reports or something.
Why Glock has the safety stick up through the trigger even when pressed is a fail in my book. I cannot not shoot with it sticking me in the finger. Shooting 40 cal after 100 rds starts to become very very bother some.
So all my Glocks get smooth face trigger with the safety sanded flush with the trigger as should of been from factory!
Now has anyone seen my Red stapler?

Last edited by Scrappy; 04-04-2013 at 11:15..
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14   #63
TruthNotRelative

I fail to understand the attitude that some seem to have that "if you have to mod anything about anything you purchase, you shouldn't purchase it to begin with". Might as well tell me that if I don't like the rims on the truck I bought (after purchasing new ones), then I shouldn't have bought the truck. Keep your guns stock if you want (they're yours), but I don't see the need to talk sheet to people who don't always keep things stock.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17   #64
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthNotRelative View Post
I fail to understand the attitude that some seem to have that "if you have to mod anything about anything you purchase, you shouldn't purchase it to begin with". Might as well tell me that if I don't like the rims on the truck I bought (after purchasing new ones), then I shouldn't have bought the truck. Keep your guns stock if you want (they're yours), but I don't see the need to talk sheet to people who don't always keep things stock.
I agree once again, lol.
Stock to me is a Greek word for starting point! I don't leave anything I get stock!! Guns, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc etc.....
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45   #65
dusty_dragon

thanks for the pics
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:08   #66
judgecrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I always smooth off the sharp mold parting line with some 1000-1500 grit emery paper. Sharp parting lines on both plastic or metal parts are kind of a pet peeve of mine.
I too smoothed mine some but did not remove much material.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:21   #67
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

Thanks so much! I have had a gen 2 Glock 20 for twenty years, and I never noticed the sharp ridge on my trigger. Now I do, so thanks again for now making me not like my trigger after all these years of not noticing.
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 21:12   #68
trigger19isbest

I'll, scrape, sand, dremel, what ever it takes to reduce the offending trigger safety, first thing in the morning. I would do it now, but I'm too sleepy to get started on it. Thanks to the pro-mod posters, especially TruthNotRelevant.

I want to speak my mind concerning the nay sayers, but everyone has a right to their opinion. Some folks are so comfortable in their fear, that they want to enslave us free folk, in that same fear.
trigger19isbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 21:51   #69
Catshooter

I too much prefer a smooth trigger, even to the point of sanding down the safety.

If you're doing it do a grooved trigger to remove the grooves, just don't go too far. If you remove too much material from the trigger just at the top of where the safety disappears into the face of the trigger the safety will be able to move too far forward.

Cat
Old 04-04-2013, 23:29   #70
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger19isbest View Post
I'll, scrape, sand, dremel, what ever it takes to reduce the offending trigger safety, first thing in the morning. I would do it now, but I'm too sleepy to get started on it. Thanks to the pro-mod posters, especially TruthNotRelevant.

I want to speak my mind concerning the nay sayers, but everyone has a right to their opinion. Some folks are so comfortable in their fear, that they want to enslave us free folk, in that same fear.
Thanks. But uhhh, I'm TruthN0tRELATIVE... I actually believe that truth is very "RELEVANT" (as opposed to relaTIVE).

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 23:34..
Old 04-04-2013, 23:31   #71
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
I too much prefer a smooth trigger, even to the point of sanding down the safety.

If you're doing it do a grooved trigger to remove the grooves, just don't go too far. If you remove too much material from the trigger just at the top of where the safety disappears into the face of the trigger the safety will be able to move too far forward.

Cat
Thanks, yes, you are correct.. Hence the pic that I posted. That's exactly what happened when I performed this on an old serrated trigger.

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-04-2013 at 23:32..
Old 04-05-2013, 05:00   #72
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 00:48   #73
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
I agree.

Well then.. I'll tell you the same thing that I told Bill, don't do this to your trigger then. Problem solved.

I might also ask you a question that I asked Bill..

If I purchase and drop in an aftermarket trigger that has this same "mod" (flush safety), am I still "molesting" my Glock?

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-06-2013 at 02:33..
Old 04-06-2013, 00:50   #74
TruthNotRelative

Btw Bill and Ryobi, "sanding" (recontouring) it DOES help, a lot.. contrary to your assertion. Thanks for the input though.

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 04-06-2013 at 00:52..
Old 04-06-2013, 13:12   #75
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Nope. Not for me. But if you feel it helps you, thanks for sharing! Sharing is important.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote