Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Yep this is getting out of hand now.

Time for the lock.
Not locked yet, as of 1352 EDT 24Mar13
Old 03-25-2013, 16:50   #62
unit1069

Quote:
Exactly How Many Rounds is 1.6 Billion?
Enough to fight a 20-year full-scale war according to military experts, leading directly to the question of why an internal US agency would need that much ammunition unless to suppress a restive population.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31   #63
SCmasterblaster

32 million 50-round boxes!
Old 03-26-2013, 13:23   #64
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Enough to fight a 20-year full-scale war according to military experts, leading directly to the question of why an internal US agency would need that much ammunition unless to suppress a restive population.
Think about the number. There are what 100M gun owners. If everyone bought just 100rds of ammo, 1B rounds. It's not that much when you think about it. I think my math is right.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 13:34   #65
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
That isn't "AN" agency.

Look at the numbers of armed personnel in ALL of the agencies involved and their training and duty ammo needs.

Finally, when you have done that you might want to admit that you researched enough to discover that it is a "Contract to potentially buy" Nobody has bought that amount it just locks in product and supply for the length of the contract, It is SOP for many things involving Government contacts.

If you saw the contracts for toilet paper you would probably come to the conclusion that the evil GVT Ninjas were planning on weakening the populace through inflicted Dysentery.

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07   #66
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Think about the number. There are what 100M gun owners. If everyone bought just 100rds of ammo, 1B rounds. It's not that much when you think about it. I think my math is right.
I wonder how many handgun owners there are in the USA?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38   #67
Zelesnik G17

How many trucks would it take to haul 32 million 50 round boxes? What would be the total weight of 32 million 50 round boxes? Just trying to get a visual on the amount of ammo ordered.
Zelesnik G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31   #68
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelesnik G17 View Post
How many trucks would it take to haul 32 million 50 round boxes? What would be the total weight of 32 million 50 round boxes? Just trying to get a visual on the amount of ammo ordered.
There is no such "order" or purchase.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54   #69
captaintrips

Considering that the vast majority of the folks on this board have a healthy distrust of the government/administration, the fact that over 50% of the post say this isn't a big deal is very telling.....
captaintrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:50   #70
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintrips View Post
Considering that the vast majority of the folks on this board have a healthy distrust of the government/administration, the fact that over 50% of the post say this isn't a big deal is very telling.....
Maybe we are all being hoodwinked, but DHS could CONTRACT to purchase up to a quadrillion rounds of ammo at a given price, but if they only purchase 150 million (roughly 1500 rds per agent) , what is the problem?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-01-2013, 14:24   #71
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
Maybe we are all being hoodwinked, but DHS could CONTRACT to purchase up to a quadrillion rounds of ammo at a given price, but if they only purchase 150 million (roughly 1500 rds per agent) , what is the problem?

I am having a hard time following the logic trail involved.

IF this contract is public information, therefore not in "secret" and it is responsible for the shortage of a limited number of calibers, then where is the contract with ALL of the manufacturers that is causing a shortage of .22 rimfire?

To put it simply, if you can find a contract that is supposed to be responsible for the lack of .40 S&W show me the contract that is responsible for the shortage of .22 LR

How in the world could DHS possibly keep all the employees of the ammo companies and everyone the know silent on this scheme?

What is DHS doing with all the .32 auto ammo, the .38 special, the .257 Roberts, even the 30-30 that is scarce in some areas?
Old 04-01-2013, 14:27   #72
captaintrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post

No problem at all. I am glad the government is saving tax payor money by buying in bulk.
captaintrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:48   #73
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Enough to put 5 rounds into every human being living in the country they are supposed to be protecting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 15:35   #74
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
Enough to put 5 rounds into every human being living in the country they are supposed to be protecting.
Amazing.

How many rounds have you fired in practice and how many people have you shot?
Old 04-01-2013, 20:45   #75
fastbolt

How about some actual numbers regarding ammunition numbers?

Probably not going to help keep the conspiracy buffs excited, though. Oh well ....

http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/...c-fd099b51c966

Follow the links for the 2 DHS responses in the website link,
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 04-01-2013 at 20:47..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:58   #76
railfancwb

If the number is 1.6 billion, that is only five rounds or so for each man, woman, and child in the country. Less than one New York magazine full per person.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-01-2013, 22:09   #77
PghJim

Over 200MM in inventory. Purchase 100MM a year. 1.6B is enough to last 16 years, but it is only a 5-year contract.

Last edited by PghJim; 04-01-2013 at 22:25..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:41   #78
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
If the number is 1.6 billion, that is only five rounds or so for each man, woman, and child in the country. Less than one New York magazine full per person.

I guess when I purchase ammo for my department and all my officers from now on I need to use the "3-5 bullets per person living in my jurisdiction" method to determine how many I should buy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Over 200MM in inventory. Purchase 100MM a year. 1.6B is enough to last 16 years, but it is only a 5-year contract.
So I guess based on that its not nearly the monster everyone seems to think it is...or wait did they USE over 100 million a year for training? Oh, yes they did....

Look at the links provided on the last page by bolt.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28   #79
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post

G17 magazine - 17 rounds of persuasion.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51   #80
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
I guess when I purchase ammo for my department and all my officers from now on I need to use the "3-5 bullets per person living in my jurisdiction" method to determine how many I should buy....

So I guess based on that its not nearly the monster everyone seems to think it is...or wait did they USE over 100 million a year for training? Oh, yes they did....

Look at the links provided on the last page by bolt.
Even with all of this out there, I predict at least a couple dozen posts this week (and a few new threads) that will reference the 1.6 billion rounds "bought last year" by DHS.