Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:05   #1
tucojuanramirez

EXTRACTOR lubrification ?

Hi my dear American Friends!
Just a question!
May I lube the extractor or does it works dry?
For lubrification I want to say just a little bit where it's sitted.
Thank you!
Paolo
tucojuanramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10   #2
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

No lube

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15   #3
XshooterX

Doesn't need it, shouldn't have it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26   #4
tucojuanramirez

ok, no lube...
I've read many threads about extractor's issue on G19gen4...
Since I clean the extractor (first time in my G19gen4 life) I've got two FTF, and so I supposed that I clean too much the extractor and where it's sitted, also the factory grease I thought.
Thank you.
Paolo
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53   #5
SouthpawG26

No lubrification required, whatsoever..
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01   #6
Clusterfrack

By FTF you mean failure to feed? I doubt that has anything to do with your extractor, although it is possible. See: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...lunger-channel

No lubrication needed in that area--it can cause accumulation of fouling.
Old 03-24-2013, 14:13   #7
Sgt127

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
How's your Italian?
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 16:58   #8
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

When I first polished the metal parts inside my Glock pistols, I had a bit of polishing compound on a piece of cardboard. I rubbed the extractor on this spot top and bottom. It polished the extractor a little bit and I think it keeps things moving with NO lubrication. Good luck!

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:02   #9
Glock 23 Nutter

I still put a drop of CLP on the back pivot end, articulate it to disperse the lube, and then wipe off the excess, including any crud in and around the extractor or claw.

But then again, I grease the rails too... so there's that.

If it rotates - Oil it. If it slides - Grease it. (except for the Glock firing-pin)

Nutter

Last edited by Glock 23 Nutter; 03-24-2013 at 19:04..
Glock 23 Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:12   #10
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucojuanramirez View Post
ok, no lube...
Since I clean the extractor (first time in my G19gen4 life) I've got two FTF, and so I supposed that I clean too much the extractor and where it's sitted, also the factory grease I thought. Thank you. - Paolo
NOT an extractor issue. More than likely it's either a weak ammo or limp-wristing error on your part. Dry the extractor and internal slide channels. Use something like Q-Tips in order to get the job done right. Then lube your Glock according to the Owner's Manual. Be sure to get the slide rails and tracks.

If your recoil spring is weak, then change the RSA (recoil spring assembly). Do a standard operation check, per the Owner's Manual, and make sure your striker (FP) safety and striker move freely, too.

More than likely it's either weak ammo or YOU! (So, tighten up your gun hand wrist, and pull down more on the frame with your support hand and arm.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:37   #11
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
I thought it was George Bush
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:53   #12
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I thought it was George Bush
Naaaa...dont be "blamin" old George....probably it was `your` chosen One since he`s still active...and since you mentioned it.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 00:59   #13
voyager4520
-----

You shouldn't have any excess oil around the extractor, the oil will only accumulate fouling more quickly which will inhibit the free movement of the extractor and can cause failures to feed and failures to eject.

The FTF's could be an ammo issue or a magazine issue. If I'm not mistaken, being in Italy your G19 would be chambered in 9x21. Are there any numbers marked on the followers of your magazines? Are they 10-round magazines or 15-round magazines?

I'd try holding the gun more firmly in case it's caused by limp-wristing, if that doesn't fix the problem try some different brands of ammo if you can.

Last edited by voyager4520; 03-25-2013 at 01:00..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45   #14
WinterWizard

For god's sake, no lube on extractors or firing pins.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34   #15
tucojuanramirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
try some different brands of ammo if you can.
Every time I use Fiocchi 124 gr. I have got some problems.
I'm pretty sure that every 35/40 rounds, one of them it's weak.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31   #16
Tiro Fijo

I've lightly lubed the extractor (where it's shiney from rubbing) since the 80's. Anything that is shiny from wear needs a thin layer as rust prevention IMO. Old School training. A thin layer of modern ester lubricant will leave a protective film when dry and there will be no accumulation of carbon beyond normal as well as making cleaning easier. Not that the force exerted by a spent cartridge does not have enough force to overcome the extractor spring's resistance, but lubricant surely aids the process as in any other mechanical area where metals meet via friction.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:25   #17
jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I've lightly lubed the extractor (where it's shiney from rubbing) since the 80's. Anything that is shiny from wear needs a thin layer as rust prevention IMO. Old School training. A thin layer of modern ester lubricant will leave a protective film when dry and there will be no accumulation of carbon beyond normal as well as making cleaning easier. Not that the force exerted by a spent cartridge does not have enough force to overcome the extractor spring's resistance, but lubricant surely aids the process as in any other mechanical area where metals meet via friction.
Exactly!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28   #18
vmann
Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
For god's sake, no lube on extractors or firing pins.
easy there....there is no reason one cant wipe everything down with a oiled cloth, i am by no means suggesting that you put oil on everything, but there is nothing wrong with wiping everything down with an oiled cloth or a silicone gun cloth....

U.S. ARMY
vmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51   #19
jay1975
Ultra Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Bingo
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53   #20
Clusterfrack

Oil has three functions: lubrication (friction reduction), corrosion reduction, and wear reduction. At the same time we want to minimize fouling buildup and maximize reliability. Not all of these goals are complementary. For me the goal of reliability in a carry gun trumps all the others. Whatever you decide to use, test your system! I have found that a very thin layer of some lubes can attract fouling.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11   #21
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucojuanramirez View Post
ok, no lube...
Since I clean the extractor (first time in my G19gen4 life) I've got two FTF, and so I supposed that I clean too much the extractor and where it's sitted, also the factory grease I thought.
Thank you.
Paolo
Lubrication on the extractor will make it more likely to fail, not less likely. Oil on the extractor claw can cause it to slip off the cartridge rim.

Also, most of what you read about extractor issues is nonsense, posted by people who barley know enough about their Glock to find the extractor.

Last edited by Bren; 03-26-2013 at 11:12..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47   #22
Made in Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Lubrication on the extractor will make it more likely to fail, not less likely. Oil on the extractor claw can cause it to slip off the cartridge rim.

Also, most of what you read about extractor issues is nonsense, posted by people who barley know enough about their Glock to find the extractor.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. But I am sure you know that those issues we hear about some of the newer Glocks are real, and that most of those issues are not caused by the shooter and/or the ammo. You just won't admit it.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 16:23   #23
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Matter a fact, you don't want any oil in the inside of the slide.
Meaning the extractor bar or firing pin channel.
Only oil should be on the barrel and rails.

Last edited by MarcDW; 03-26-2013 at 16:24..
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 17:06   #24
Made in Austria

I have an light oil film in my striker channel, extractor, and in all the little channels in the slide. Probably not necessary, but I can't help it. I just have to pull out my q-tips with some CLP on it. Never had any problems in doing so. It depends how often you detail clean your slide. If you never or rarely detail strip it, then I would run those areas dry. If you like to detail strip your slide often like me then it's okay to apply an light oil film. Brass shavings, carbon, and other crap gets and stays in there anyway, most of it doesn't just blow out on the other end, even if you run those areas dry.

All my brand new Glocks which I have bought in recent years had some black oil and small bits of metal in the striker channel. If a dry striker channel is really that important, then I am sure Glock would completely dry those areas before the guns leave the factory.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 03-26-2013 at 17:11..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 17:09   #25
jupiter

If all it takes is a drop of oil in the firing pin channel or extractor to cause a Glock to go down, they would not be worth owning.
Anyone who does basic maintenance once in a blue moon should never have a problem. I believe a little bit of water working it's way into the firing pin channel or around the extractor is a bigger problem than a drop of oil. A totally oil free part can rust very quickly if exposed to water. Every so often, I remove the firing pin and clean the channel with clp and remove as much of the excess as possible. I then clean the firing pin and give it and the extractor a very light coat of oil. My 11 Glocks run flawlessly.

Last edited by jupiter; 03-26-2013 at 17:29..
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote