SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2013, 00:40   #1
collim1
Shower Time!

Lets year ya'lls weekly workout

In the last 7 months I have gone from 6'2" 255lbs to 228lbs. I was in terrible shape, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high blood iron and a high body fat %. Scariest part of it was I am not that old, 29. It was a real wake up call to me.

I gave up alcohol completely, limited my daily food intake to ~2200 calories, started drinking only water, and plenty of it. About 2 gallons per day. I have incorporated a 4x per week workout involving cardio, body weight resistance conditioning, and weight lifting. Currently I am suffering from a busted shoulder. Minor tear in my bicep tendon after stupidly lifting weights by myself after my buddy backed out on me.

Blood pressure is ~110/70 as of a few weeks ago. Donating blood twice in the last 7 months has helped with the iron and cholesterol, as has the diet change.

I am currently only doing cardio and body weight exercises. The first three months I didn't work out much just focused on diet change. Push ups don't seem to bother my shoulder and the doctor said they will strengthen my shoulder so I can get back into the weights soon.

Today I walked 2.6mi in 29mins. 60 push ups and 150 crunches, a 30 second plank, and 25 back flat leg lifts (those suck).

I need some ideas for workouts that don't feel like workouts if that makes sense. I get bored working out by myself.

I know its not much but its helping. My goal is have a 1 rep max of atleast my body weight on bench, 6 pull ups, 200lbs body weight, and a 6:30 1 mile run.

The thought of a knock down drag out fight at work is my motivation. I am also considering hiring a personal trainer and boxing lessons after I get in better shape. A buddy at work trains people for amateur fights and is a decent boxer himself.

BTW I am back on nights and bored out of my head at the moment, having a pretty bad thunderstorm at the moment.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 00:45   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

Forgot to mention my other main motivation, constant lower back pain, especially after a 12hr shift in the car.

Its mostly gone now.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23   #3
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

I used to go running but then I changed shifts and haven't found a good way to get out and run anymore. Got a treadmill but that hasn't worked out yet due to other problems. Currently my workout is a 35 pound kettlebell that I've been throwing around for about 3 weeks. I've noticed a big difference with just that.

I've been drinking more water, especially at work. I haven't done anything really for my diet. I do eat a lot at Subway. Does that count?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20   #4
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I fall off the wagon every winter, and this one was no different. In a few weeks it will be mountain bike time again.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31   #5
Officer X

Been following a diet inspired by Mark Sisson and The Primal Blueprint. Stopped my heavy powerlifting workouts a few years ago as I was getting older and hurt more often. Like recommended in TPB, I mix thing up now, including strength and endurance and try to have fun with it. Usually work out 2 days on, 1 off.

Yesterday's AM workout:

Turkish Get Ups- 53 lb. kettlebell x 5 minutes, switchin arms every rep- 7/7

Pushups (x15) / kettlebell snatches (36 lbs. x 8/8) x 15 minutes. Total : 150 pushups / 80/80 kettlebell snatches.

Taking today off. Weather depending, Monday will be sprinting, Tuesday will be pullups, squats, maybe bridging. I have about a dozen workouts that I just switch around depending on what my goals for the day are.
Including warmup and cooldown, about a 32 minute workout.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22   #6
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

I do a modified stronglifts 5x5. Workout A - squats, bench, barbell row, cleans, pull-ups. Followed by 30 min of cardio (running, elliptical etc.)
B - squats, overhead press, deadlifts, sit-ups, pull ups. Followed by cardio

I workout M W F and each workout rotates A and B so M would be A, W would be B etc..

Start with an empty bar and increase the weight by 5lbs every workout. Squatting every workout has helped my back a lot and I feel much stronger than doing traditional workouts. Check out stronglifts.com or Mark Rippetoe. These types of compound lifts relate to police work and I haven't found anything better, even crossfit. Hope this helps, feel free to shoot me a message with any questions

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36   #7
Denied
NRA Member

Major changes in diet and/or exercise are destine to fail, may take days, weeks, months etc but it will fail. IF you are serious slow down, you did not get out of shape and over weight over night. Concentrate on changing your habits slowly, eat less of what you like, find exercise you can live with, take small changes as success, but mainly do what you can live with the rest of your life.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34   #8
Horror
Polizei

Send a message via ICQ to Horror
1,93m/ 6'3''

100kg/220lbs

I don't smoke and I don't drink any alcohol at all.

and I do 40 diamond push-ups everyday before I go to sleep.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24   #9
mntrpr

I did the 100 day pull up challenge, that was the best my back has felt in years.
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:36   #10
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror View Post
1,93m/ 6'3''

100kg/220lbs

I don't smoke and I don't drink any alcohol at all.

and I do 40 diamond push-ups everyday before I go to sleep.
Out of curiousity, why before you go to sleep? If I excercise at all right before bed, I have trouble getting to sleep.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44   #11
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

For anyone with knee or lower back problems, I highly recommend swimming. I incorporated swimming laps into my work outs about 3 years ago.

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08   #12
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
For anyone with knee or lower back problems, I highly recommend swimming. I incorporated swimming laps into my work outs about 3 years ago.

That's been my biggest issue; I can't run anywhere like I used to, thanks to uncle sam and my knees. We have a pool in my apartment complex, but it's so tiny I'd have to do a hundred or more laps to feel anything. I seriously doubt it's 25 feet from one end to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:09   #13
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I powerlift (actually a little closer to powerbuild) 3 days a week. I try to fast walk 15+ miles a week. Not as much as I should but I do some 100 yard windsprints, from time to time, until I get that "gotta puke" feeling.

I am happy with my workouts. They dont take much time. I enjoy them most of the time and they really help me sleep well. The only thing I would like to add is some form of yoga. I really need to stretch and build flexibility.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 13:13   #14
ateamer
NRA4EVR

I do the Napoleon Dynamite workout: Whatever I feel like I wanna do, gosh!

Generally, though, Monday is bench, often incline bench (dumbbells most often), military press, triceps, grip, abs and a bit of cardio. Tuesday is deadlift, rows, pullups, curls and neck, followed by 20-30 minutes on the stationary bike. I can't squat without pain anymore due to multiple injuries in my right knee and the removal of most of the cartilage. All weight exercises are for at least 10 reps, usually three or four work sets. Just about every day of the week I do a set of pushps and a set of pullups to failure.

Wednesday is cardio, Thursday and Friday are bodyweight stuff, sometimes a Cro$$fit workout, Saturday is usually a do-nothing day and Sunday is moderate cardio. For cardio, I use the stationary bike and just started using the elliptical. Sometimes I ride a real bike, but we don't have a bike path here and there are a lot of unaware drivers. Occasionally I swim, and might get back into doing that routinely.

All in all, a good blend of weights, bodyweight and cardio.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 13:14   #15
Horror
Polizei

Send a message via ICQ to Horror
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
Out of curiousity, why before you go to sleep? If I excercise at all right before bed, I have trouble getting to sleep.

well its not right before sleeping, I do the push-ups, take a shower and watch some tv in bed.

between the push-ups and falling asleep is atleast 1 hour.
Old 03-24-2013, 17:36   #16
Nick.45

I'm 6', started off at 272 lbs last summer, startin counting calories and I was down to 216 at Thanksgiving. I have backed off since then and have been maintaing a weight of 221 lbs since. I am inside the fence, so on my dinner breaks I would hit our gym for a 20 min weight session.

I find it much easier to maintain my diet by occupying my dinner time in the gym rather than sitting in the cafeteria while every around me eats the jail food while I eat a sandwich or salad or whatever I brought that day.

I started off doing this workout, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html

I am mainly doing weights to try and maintain muscle mass while dieting and doing cardio. I did that for 12 weeks and then switched to my own little routine for 12 weeks to change it up. I am now doing this routine, http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/m...building/intro

After work I would do HIIT on the treadmills during the winter. I hate running and interval training gets the job done faster than running at a set pace for a certain period of time while still getting a great cardio burn in. I started off with 30 sec jog/sprint intervals and limited the workout to ten minutes. After a couple weeks I was up to 20-25 minute workout and started with 30 sec intervals and moved up to 45sec-1 min intervals by the end of the workout.

My final goal is to lose an additional 20 lbs by June.
Nick.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 18:18   #17
m2hmghb

Something to think about is low testosterone levels as well. If you cannot rebuild muscle tone and keep gaining fat you might want to have your testosterone levels checked. I'm 28 and was 200 when normal would be 400 plus.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 18:47   #18
Sharkey

Never smoked and hardly drink. I do drink a can of soda daily. I think at 43 I have been able to stay slim from having a high metabolism from working out since I was 15.

Currently I work out 3X a week for about 50-60 min at a moderate to high intensity pace. If I'm at the house, it is a Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels video. If at the gym, I usually do a cardio machine for 10 min followed by a combination of exercises from the videos. I hit all the major muscle groups.
I also try to throw in some stretching I learned from PT for my bulging disc in my back.

I try to eat decent stuff but don't go out of my way to do it. I avoid any creamy stuff like the plague because I hate it. I'm also not a big dessert person especially directly after dinner.

As you get old, no one says, I want bigger pecs but they say I wish I did more cardio for the old ticker.
Old 03-24-2013, 19:44   #19
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

We started doing a circuit course several times a week. We change it up slightly, but it hasn't seemed like just a workout. It's challenging and kinda fun.

Start with a 1-mile jog. We do it in the neighborhood around the PD. This is just a warm-up to get you loose. We do some minor stretching. Then we start our curcuit course.

-Run up 3 flights of stairs (basement to 3rd floor)
-5x up ladder to roof hatch (it's a relatively tall ladder, maybe 12-15'). Hit each rung, touch hatch
-15 knee raises on roman chair (alternate 10 dips)
-15 pushups
-20 situps (alternate power cleans, relatively light weight)
-Run a lap around training area
-10 box steps per leg or 10 box steps per leg (rectangle box, so you can set it for one of 3 heights)
-drag 175lb dummy hand over hand from seated position using rope about 10 yards (alternate dummy drag by picking it up and moving it)
-fine motor skill: we have a row of 10 golf tees. you use tweezers to put an airsoft pellet on top of each one (using one hand). Sometimes we take the batteries out of 2 old aimpoints and put them back in.
-run a lap
-either: mat drags, skull drags pulling 45lb plate on short rope, or lunges carrying a 35lb dumbell. This is across a wrestling matt, maybe 10 yards
-10 round kicks on bag per leg (alternate knee strikes)
-on hanging heavy bag, either 10 jab/crosses each side or 25 baton strikes each side.
-10-15 burpees
-1 lap

we rest for 5 minutes, then do it again (minus the run)

You can go as fast or slow as you want - try not to let the guy behind you catch you. Slower/fatter go last - rabbits up front to help the fatties stay motivated and do all the reps/techniques right. We will switch things up and introduce more exercises or flop things around. Sometimes we'll make it a leg day and just wear out legs doing lunges, power cleans, box steps, etc.

I haven't grown tired of it yet. We take turns organizing it each week (try to do 3x a week). The organizer is the slave-driver for the week.
Old 03-24-2013, 22:36   #20
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
As you get old, no one says, I want bigger pecs but they say I wish I did more cardio for the old ticker.
Good point.
Old 03-24-2013, 23:16   #21
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I lift weights on my Bowflex at least twice a week and try to do cardio on my recumbent bicycle which doesn't always fit into the plan... but the plan is to do it for at least twenty minutes every time I lift.

Height 174cm
Weight 72.5kg

Don't drink any alcohol, can't say the same for smoking... but I don't do it too often. No excuse, but still... not a chain smoker like I used to be.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 18:04   #22
texmex

Fill coffee cup. Lift. Repeat.
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20   #23
OLY-M4gery

Day 1 Run

Day 2 Shoulder/arms

Day 3 Run

Day 4 Chest/Tri

Day 5 Run

Day 6 Squat/Cry

Days Off-----------

Day 7 Nada

Day 8 Chest/Tri

Day 9 Run (maybe)

---------------------

Chest on day 4 2x4, 2x6 sets bench press, up to 275 and 255 currently.

Running, can be fast walking or running. I have my own treadmill. Usually 25-30 minutes at a crack.
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53   #24
DMF
P33

CrossFit mainsite workouts Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (with a good warmup and usually followed by an additional workout or skill practice to compliment the WOD), and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on Saturday and Sunday.
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27   #25
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post
CrossFit mainsite workouts Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (with a good warmup and usually followed by an additional workout or skill practice to compliment the WOD), and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on Saturday and Sunday.
I am a Crossfit athlete as well. I work out 6 days a week. Some weeks 4 Crossfit and 2 days running, Sometimes 5 days Crossfit and 1 day running. My runs are usually 3 miles or so. Every other week I run and/or walk about 8 miles for one of the run workouts.
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote