Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2013, 18:14   #21
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Perhaps I am discourteous in failing to use [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm] delimiters at EVERY opportunity.
Old 03-21-2013, 20:09   #22
dannyyates

I worked for the sheriff dept, for 3yrs back in 2001-04 its not anything to brag about thats for sure but the sheriff i worked under has passed and the one in now i dont care for but due to the meth in this area the T.B.I works this area and on the mags by law well back in 2001 when you are offduty you had to have a permit just like anyone else out of the county you worked and you firearm had to be legal i can tell you its not something i would do over
dannyyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17   #23
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
There would be ANOTHER problem with this "desperation" scenario: your partner's .40 rounds would be in a mag that would not lock into your 10. Transferring those rounds to one of your 10mm mags during an action would be ... implausible.
G22 mags will lock in, if they are new(er), and the catch isn't worn too bad. They don't "fit", but lock in and function. If you use a "tea-cup" grip, it's no biggie. Not something I'd do, unless necessity prevailed. And, reloading a mag from another is an option, if that's the only option. No different than scavenging ammo from any (other) mag of the same cartridge caliber, in a combat situation. If you aren't training to do just that, you aren't combat training. Implausibility is second to survival and mission objective.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27   #24
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyates View Post
I worked for the sheriff dept, for 3yrs back in 2001-04 its not anything to brag about thats for sure but the sheriff i worked under has passed and the one in now i dont care for but due to the meth in this area the T.B.I works this area and on the mags by law well back in 2001 when you are offduty you had to have a permit just like anyone else out of the county you worked and you firearm had to be legal i can tell you its not something i would do over
So, then, you were non-sworn? Reserve? Posse? CSO? DSO? In any case, an LEO has nothing to brag about. It's a job, duty and honor. No bragging allowed. Braggarts go to prison.

Clip? Really? I have lots of "clips". None fit in any of my pistols.
Old 03-23-2013, 23:33   #25
Ebb27

The 10 Ring
Old 03-24-2013, 00:28   #26
dannyyates

I dont know where you got bragging from i can ashure i havent at anytime that was the lowest ive been in my 41 yrs i had a great job remodeling malls up in till sept 2001 after that mess there wasnt anything going on and a good freind of mine who worked there that was all he ever done 20+ yrs it worked out at that time but got stressfull to a leveal i never been it take a certin kind of person to do that job and when my freind the one that got me the job took his own life it wasnt till then that i knew how bad the stress was so no you wont hear me bragg on that its was something horible in sept 2001 that i started and 3yrs latter it was something horible when i left sorry to get off subject other members just dont know where he came up with that i only wanted know if was safe to use the 40 in the 10 i wouldnt think where i worked some 10yrs ago would matter but guess it did to him
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44   #27
4949shooter

Tagged.

Interesting thread.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50   #28
n2fishin

Dannyyates, take no offense to what some are saying here. You and I are just dumb southern rednecks in the eyes of the edumicated! In all seriousness, you're choice of words and outward appearance make your post seem almost not real. Meaning you might be a fake. I see you live in Altamont and a quick fake-book search seems to verify who you are. It seems to me that you are new to this whole "forum talk" if you will. These guy's here might not understand how some of us southern folk work. (I live in north Ga. myself). I understand rural areas and towns more than some would that frequent on here. Don't take it personal. Not everyone is internet savvy. But that doesn't mean they are not good, hard working people. There are a lot of very smart people that would be looking to us rednecks when it comes time to survive in hard times! Hell, they'll be calling me a troll next because I don't normally have time to get on here and run my post count up. Oh, well. I enjoy my Glock 20sf, my Xdm, and a whole list of other shooting sport items. If you're ever down here in Ringgold, look me up. We'll go burn some powder. I can walk ten feet from my couch to my 100 yard range off my front porch. I like living in the sticks!
n2fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20   #29
dannyyates

Yeah i have big shoulders. Yeah im not up on the computer stuff that well. Yeah your just little a hr away im rite in the middle nashville and chattanooga 45min just depends what way i turn on i-24 yeah i dont get here and hide behind it like so many do did you say you have been to altamont b4 we are growing we have a redlight now i got tom get up and go feed dam horses thanks for the reply nice to know about the range to lol
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41   #30
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyates View Post
I dont know where you got bragging from i can ashure i havent at anytime that was the lowest ive been in my 41 yrs i had a great job remodeling malls up in till sept 2001 after that mess there wasnt anything going on and a good freind of mine who worked there that was all he ever done 20+ yrs it worked out at that time but got stressfull to a leveal i never been it take a certin kind of person to do that job and when my freind the one that got me the job took his own life it wasnt till then that i knew how bad the stress was so no you wont hear me bragg on that its was something horible in sept 2001 that i started and 3yrs latter it was something horible when i left sorry to get off subject other members just dont know where he came up with that i only wanted know if was safe to use the 40 in the 10 i wouldnt think where i worked some 10yrs ago would matter but guess it did to him
I was only responding to your choice of words and terminology. We, the active and retired LEO's (I'm retired), may take it a bit more serious, probably more than we should in the public forum. And, as he said, trolls and imposters are everywhere. Certain comments cause the flags to go up. It was only a request for further info.

N2fishin is correct. No offense to "dumb southern rednecks" (I are one, rooted in Cleveland, TN, currently live in the sticks, but I have to walk about 50' to my shooting range). The "clip" comment was only a sarcastic dig at the term, probably politically motivated....

And to answer your question, it is my experienced opinion that .40's can be safely fired in a GLOCK 10mm pistol. I've been doing it for years, and so have several others here. As yet, not one "unsafe" incident has been reported due to that reason alone. Only speculation of what "could" happen. Most unsafe incidents reported involve "normal" guns under "normal" conditions, with "normal" ammunition. Anything can go wrong at any time, for any reason, but it won't be because you chamber a .40 in your GLOCK 10mm pistol. It's design and function simply prevents a problem that may (and does) exist in other pistols. CAN you do it safely? Yes. Is it recommended? No. It's no more complicated than that.

Last edited by dm1906; 03-24-2013 at 11:42..
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01   #31
n2fishin

I like your answer to his question dm1906. I have been unsure if I would do it or not. It is good to know that it will work if I needed it to. Will I shoot .40 in my 10? Probably not since I own various .40 Cal already. But I may try it one day with my carry ammo just to see if poi changes any or should I say by how much. Thanks for the good info. BTW, I have relatives in Cleveland and lived there while I was a kid for a few years. That is one busy little city now days.
n2fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20   #32
dm1906
Retired SO

Just keep in mind, the round MUST feed from the magazine. If you drop one in, the striker won't reach. The round must be held by the extractor, which happens as the round is picked up from the mag, the slid up the breach under the extractor. This is also the "design and function" I spoke of. Either the round is firmly against the breach, or it's in front of the extractor where the striker can't reach it. How anyone can find anything "unsafe" about that, is beyond me. While I WOULD NOT recommend this practice as a primary defense method, it works fine during range practice, and would be effective in emergency situations. Of the several thousands rounds I fired this way, none of them didn't fire, when fed from the mag. An added bonus, in my pistols anyway, is the .40 brass just falls at my feet, or bounces off the bill of my hat (and down my shirt, once).
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46   #33
G29SFWTF

Today I shot about 90 more rounds of .40 165 grain from my G29. and no issues. The brass would not fly far, sometimes ended up on my chest or left arm even but nice to have plinkin ammo for the G29 at ~$17 for 50 rds. Accuracy and POI at 15 and 7 yards seemed about the same as the Underwood I shot.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 13:02   #34
Andrew Wiggin

Aren't you worried that you're shaving copper off on the shoulder?

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 13:12   #35
Any Cal.

On many bullets the shoulder will be in the case and the throat at the same time due to bullet length, so no functional difference.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 20:02   #36
copo9560

Add me as another guy who has fired 40 successfully in a G20. Don't do it all the time but in a pinch it is nice to know it works.

Has anyone seen a documented case where a G20/29 with a stock barrel was ruined by shooting 40sw? There are lots of folks with reasons why it is not a good idea but has anyone ever blown one up?
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 21:46   #37
G29SFWTF

I just examined my KKM 10 barrel with a bright LED light, have not cleaned it since I shot the .40's. I don't see any copper shavings for what it's worth.

I did see that you can drop a .40 in the chamber and it will headspace against the shoulder and spin with not much resistance, same with a 10mm round. Can't do that from the breech end of the barrel because the rifling will catch and grab on the bullet. My bright LED light shows that the rifling doesn't begin for about 1/8" past the chamber shoulder. So maybe that short space of no rifling helps the .40 to be fired without shaving any copper, not sure on that. Maybe a gunsmith would see things that I don't.

copo, I've never seen a report where a .40 round kaboomed a 10mm barrel but I don't think that's significant because of the relatively small number of 10mm's out there, and the number of people who shoot .40 from a 10 barrel is even smaller, and those who do it with any regularity is even smaller still.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:44   #38
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
Aren't you worried that you're shaving copper off on the shoulder?
Yes. Copper, lead, lube, belly button lint.....

It all cleans up easy enough. Anyone who shoots the .40 shorts should ALWAYS make a practice of cleaning up afterwards. I not only brush it, but use a scribe to ensure the chamber is clear of any fouling. The most I've noticed is a buildup of soot (burned powder residue), but that's after several hundred rounds. Lube moves out of the way easy enough, and copper fouling may stop a 10mm round from chambering. Almost all of the .40's I shoot through it are cast lead, which has it's own caveat, being greater bullet diameter, and greater chance of lead fouling. Strange though, I've not found any lead fouling, even after 3-400 rounds fired. I don't have a clue as to why not.
Old 03-26-2013, 00:00   #39
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

You can remove spark plugs with a pair of vice grips, but there are better ways.

The 10 Ring
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 00:19   #40
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
You can remove spark plugs with a pair of vice grips, but there are better ways.
You are absolutely right. Without a doubt.

I have .40 S&W pistols, so it's even more simple for me, without spending a couple hundred bucks on a pipe. With the convenience and versitility, up to and including a possible combat situation, I'd sooner load up .40's in my 10mm mag, than take the time to switch barrels. Before I spent money on a .40 conversion barrel, I'd abandon the whole idea, and just not do it. I only do it because I can, and it works, without negative side effects.