SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 14:46   #1
BigCat45

First Time Hand Gun Owner G30s

Hello Mas,

First time poster here! I have been looking for a CCW pistol and have pretty much settled on the g30s mainly because of the .45 acp round, ability to conceal and mag capacity. I am a fairly large male at 6'1'' ~236 lbs living in a region where we have jacket/sweater weather 8 months of the year so I don't believe I will have any trouble concealing the firearm. My questions is as a first time owner of any handgun is there any reason I should be weary of the .45 acp ? I am an avid hunter and have become proficient with rifles and shotguns alike through practice but have little experience with handguns. I guess I am just looking for reassurance that if proper practice time put in that the .45 cap is a controllable round for someone as there first handgun.
Thanks!

-BC
BigCat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 20:15   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Welcome to GT.

While most of us who've been around handguns for a while would probably suggest starting with a lighter caliber, to keep recoil out of the equation while learning basic handguns safety, starting with a .45 is certainly do-able. Some of us have trained kids at single digit ages to shoot .45s.

Rembember to keep a firm grasp with both hands and keep your body weight forward into the gun as you're firing. Make sure you have good ear protection to prevent startling/flinching due to the sound of the gunshots. The 30-series Glocks are soft-kicking guns as .45s go.

Best suggestion: as a first-time handgun owner, the best investment is early training. It will save "reinventing the wheel" and will pay off many times over in ammo saved and bad habits prevented as you continue your journey to mastering the handgun.

Welcome to our world, and best of luck,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 15:53   #3
BigCat45

Thank you Mas. I will definitely be sure to invest in early training. I contacted my LE dealer today to place the order and needless to say I am beyond excited.
BigCat45 is offline   Reply With Quote