Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:09   #1
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Not a lot of action, wanna hear my story?

Hey everyone! I have a single XD pistol, its an XD45 service, the 4" model. I inherited this pistol from my best friend.

I had known my friend since grade school. We became good friends in Junior High and in High School we were together all the time. We both got into guns and handguns. After graduation we remained good friends. I got a degree in Auto and he went to work at a local factory. He would hang out in my repair shop every night with me. He was having some girl problems, spent a few nights on my couch(was living with her). Finally he moved back in with her.

About a week later he stopped by and we talked for an hour or so. He played hot wheels on the floor with my son, normal visit. We made some plans to get together that weekend for a mass reload fest(we did that once a month, get together and load a few thousand rounds together, taking turns). Right before he left, he shook my hand. It seemed a little odd, but I didnt put a lot of thought into it.

30 minutes later I got the phone call. He had shot himself. The first responders called off the medi-vac chopper, told the ambulance to slow down, no hurry. I drove out to his parents house outside of town where it happened. His mom was a wreck, so I focused on comforting her. His dad asked me if I would come with him to look at him, he didnt want to go by himself, so I did. It was the worst thing I had ever seen in my life. Not because it was super gruesome, it wasnt, but there was a man I loved like a brother, with all my heart, eyes still open, and gone.

Anyways, about three months after the ordeal his parents called me to let me know that the police were done and were going to release that firearm back to them, if they wanted it. They didnt, but wanted to know if I did. I helped him pick it out, rented a few different guns with him, etc. I went ahead and accepted it.

When Igot it, it was a mess. It was a contact gun shot wound and they, of course, did not clean anything. I can tell you from this experience, that I hope none of you ever have to clean your best friends hair, blood, and tissue from the outside and inside of a firearm. I cried the whole time. I didnt shoot it for about a year, if my memory is right. I take it out from time to time to shoot it now, and my wife shoots it every time she goes out, she loves it. Its going to be her CCW here very soon. She says she feels safe, almost like Matt would be looking over her. I tried to explain that away, but she wont hear it.

Here are a few pics(cleaned obviously):
The XD Club
The XD Club
The XD Club
Old 03-16-2013, 10:10   #2
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

Wow, thats quite a story.
Old 03-16-2013, 23:22   #3
Alcoy

I am sorry about your loss. WOW... that's a good story. Sad, but really touching.
Alcoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 23:31   #4
fallenangelhim
come get some

So sorry. I have nothing more to offer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The Kalashnikov Klub Member #1999
fallenangelhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 23:44   #5
Mr KV

Sorry for your loss. I Can't even imagine what you feel, I don't think I could've even taken the gun.
Mr KV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57   #6
Zyzogg
Bartender

I am so sorry about your friend. But what a cool story.
Zyzogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 14:52   #7
r3dot

Don't know that I could have taken it, but understand why you did. Sorry for your loss.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47   #8
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Thanks guys! I just wanted to take the time to share. Sometimes when you get a used gun you don't know the history behind it or where it went. This one holds a lot of memories, good and bad at the same time. I do miss my friend every day, but as the years go on, I am glad that I accepted the pistol. The memories are more good than bad nowadays.
Old 03-24-2013, 14:45   #9
jlbeasley1976
Southern BTGOG

I have a friend who was given a 9mm Skyy by his college roommate who later killed himself (by other means). He asked me to clean it up one day and when I finished breaking it all of the way down, turned out that the frame had a very large crack running from top to bottom. Just out of curiosity, I called Skyy (now crrt,ccrk, or something like that) to see what could be done. Unbelievably, lady told me to box it up, send it in and a complete replacement would be sent out. I called my friend with the good news and to my surprise, he told me to just put the old one back together. He'd rather just keep it for sentimental reasons.
jlbeasley1976 is online now   Reply With Quote