Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 22:07   #1
ContractSoldier

Glock 27

I have a Glock 27, in which the previous owner has had it stored around black powder pistol's, however has not used the same cleaning kit to clean the Glock as was used to clean the black powder pistol. No corrosive ammo was fired in the Glock. The Glock's barrel looks nice and shiny, as if it were brand new.

Now this may be a stupid question, however I'm just wondering this before I use my cleaning kit in which I clean all my other pistols with.

Is it possible that if any corrosive materials did get transferred onto the Glock, that using the same cleaning kit to clean that pistol could cause problems and/or damage to your other gun's when you clean them, or is this unlikely?

I know nothing about corrosive ammo's or powders like those used in old cap and ball guns, so please bear with me. Thanks

Last edited by ContractSoldier; 03-23-2013 at 22:10..
ContractSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 22:17   #2
Bluescot

I would think it's unlikely there is anything remaining to hurt the finish or function of you G27.

One of the fun parts about getting a new gun, and especially if it is used, is breaking it down and going through it and giving it a good cleaning. I would break down the slide also and if that is something you haven't done yet go to UTube.

I use a lot of alcohol to do my initial cleaning and scrubbing and that should get rid of any bad stuff on your shooter. Lube lightly and away ya go.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 23:07   #3
ContractSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post
I would think it's unlikely there is anything remaining to hurt the finish or function of you G27.

One of the fun parts about getting a new gun, and especially if it is used, is breaking it down and going through it and giving it a good cleaning. I would break down the slide also and if that is something you haven't done yet go to UTube.

I use a lot of alcohol to do my initial cleaning and scrubbing and that should get rid of any bad stuff on your shooter. Lube lightly and away ya go.
That's the first thing that I did when I got it, when I field stripped the pistol, you could tell that it had been fired in the past by some powder residue here and there, but overall it is almost spotless.

It looks like It has been well taken care of, I can't really detect any sign's of pitting, and I know for a fact that the pistol hasn't been cleaned in at least a month.

Last edited by ContractSoldier; 03-23-2013 at 23:16..
Old 03-25-2013, 01:30   #4
AzTBH

ContractSoldier

Black powder itself is not corrosive. But if moisture or water hits it - yes, as it forms things like nitric, sulphuric and carbonic acid. And moisture is present in the air. I have shot many pounds of BP in my Shiloh Sharps (http://www.shilohrifle.com/) over the years in silhouette competition and I have never had a problem with corrosion. And, I have never heard of a problem from any of the hundreds of shooters that I have been around that have ever mentioned corrosion as an issue. It is much easier to clean a black-powder rifle shooting my hand-cast lead bullets (distilled water is the solvent) than it is to clean any smokeless powder firearm. Don't worry about being stored around BP. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Enjoy your Glock 27!

Last edited by AzTBH; 03-25-2013 at 01:32..
AzTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 16:59   #5
Mike-M

I shoot both real black powder rifles and revolvers, in addition to shooting smokeless powder weapons using both non-corrosive and foreign military surplus corrosive ammunition.

The most difficult residue to clean properly is corrosive smokeless ammunition, for which good old US surplus Mil Spec C-372-B (and later) bore cleaner does a better job than anything else I've ever used. Lacking that, I would use hot water and soap, followed by normal lubrication.

Black powder residue, OTOH, may very easily cleaned out using just hot water and soap.

That having been said, I doubt that any adverse effects have taken place for the situation you describe. If you really have doubts that bother you, and you lack the Mil Spec C-372 bore cleaner, clean the Glock barrel once in hot soapy water, dry it, then clean normally as you would any modern weapon that has not been fed corrosive ammunition.

I use CLP-Break Free for all my cleaning and lubrication requirements when I'm not doing the initial clean out of corrosive salts. CLP is supposed to be effective for cleaning corrosive salts, but I do the C-372-B treatment first to be sure, if corrosive ammunition has been fired.

The Tenifer metal treatment was claimed by Glock to make their barrels more resistant to corrosion than had they been chrome lined. Presumably the treatment that replaced Tenifer at Glock a few years ago works as well.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry at all, were I you.
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 19:54   #6
ContractSoldier

Thanks everyone for helping me clear up this matter!. I would think, that if that were a possibility, it would have already happened by now, considering that the last time it was cleaned was over a month ago.

I can't wait to get a IWB holster and start carrying her with me, everywhere I go that I can legally carry at.

Last edited by ContractSoldier; 03-25-2013 at 19:55..