Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:21   #1
TruthNotRelative

Glock Grip Reduction

I recently sent my G23 off to Glock for a frame swap because of mods that I did that I regretted. Among the mods was a grip reduction (which I didn't regret). Because I loved the grip on my G23 (post GR), I am seriously considering a GR on the new lower. My dilemma is that I do not want to fill the back-strap with epoxy, or employ the "candle method"... what then is left, as far as GR options? Part of me wants to leave the lower as-is, completely untouched.. but the other part of me knows that the GR on my old lower was absolutely perfect, and felt so much better than the stock grip.. any idea's that I've not heard of? Please, no comments on how stupid it is to modify a stock Glock lower.. I am only interested in "innovative" idea's concerning Glock GR's that I may not have considered/heard of. Thanks.
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:17   #2
spacemonkey

The Glock 23/32 grip fits my hand pretty well as is size wise, but I did find undercutting the triggerguard made a world of difference in getting a solid grip on the gun. Since this gets your hand higher up and puts less of your hand on the palm swell it may act as a "grip reduction". You also may consider dremeling off checkering (and maybe a tad deeper) and stippling or grip taping it to regain some texture.

I have a standard Glock 21 and am considering dremeling the top part of backstrap where the web of my hand fits to alleviate some of the 21's boxy feel; however, I have not figured out how to do this cleanly. The trigger undercut is easy since the Dremel drum fits nicely in this space.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30   #3
happie2shoot

pictures please
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51   #4
spacemonkey

Dremel 60 grit drums for the initial removal and 120 to finish it up with some fine grit steel wool. A note of caution, if you have an extended mag release be careful not to remove too much material that your hand rides up so high as to interfere with it. Just take it slow, and keep checking your hand fit.

Last edited by spacemonkey; 05-27-2013 at 07:42..
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39   #5
Scott30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Dremel 60 grit drums for the initial removal and 120 to finish it up with some fine grit steel wool. A note of caution, if you have an extended mag release be careful not to remove too much material that your hand rides up so high as to interfere with it. Just take it slow, and keep checking your hand fit.
I have done this to every Glock I have. Guess my fat fingers just need the extra room. Sure does make it more comfortable to shoot. Fine tuning I just wrap sandpaper around a highlighter and slowly sand where needed.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04   #6
bfthorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthNotRelative View Post
?.. I am only interested in "innovative" idea's ...that I may not have considered/heard of. Thanks.
Dry fire an hour a day for 3 months before you grind anything. (assumes technique is sound)
bfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57   #7
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

I just sent mine to Lane Owens @ Cold Bore Customs. His work is so much more clean looking that I could ever hope to acheive on my first try. I think for the time involved, his prices are reasonable too. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised to see them rise just because the word of his work has spread and his backlogs are increasing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09   #8
happie2shoot

thanks for the pics.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09   #9
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

If I couldn't fit my hand around a 9mm or .40S&W glock, I'd carry mace in my purse instead.

Seriously, I'd carry another weapon rather than molesting a glock.
Quote:
I recently sent my G23 off to Glock for a frame swap because of mods that I did that I regretted. Among the mods was a grip reduction (which I didn't regret). Because I loved the grip on my G23 (post GR), I am seriously considering a GR on the new lower. My dilemma is that I do not want to fill the back-strap with epoxy, or employ the "candle method"... what then is left, as far as GR options? Part of me wants to leave the lower as-is, completely untouched.. but the other part of me knows that the GR on my old lower was absolutely perfect, and felt so much better than the stock grip.. any idea's that I've not heard of? Please, no comments on how stupid it is to modify a stock Glock lower.. I am only interested in "innovative" idea's concerning Glock GR's that I may not have considered/heard of. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 14:30   #10
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Unfortunately there really isn't any other options to achieve a reduction. At least those are the two that are the most widely used.

TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

"DUMP THE HUMP"
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 14:40   #11
jdmb03

Send it to Cold Bore like I did. I also debated keeping my Gen 3 G19 stock but it didn't fit my hand like I thought it should. If you have Cold Bore do the work you know it will be done right.
jdmb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 15:12   #12
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
If I couldn't fit my hand around a 9mm or .40S&W glock, I'd carry mace in my purse instead.

It's not that I, or many other shooters can't fit their hands around the Glocks grip, they just fit better after a bit of massaging, or molesting . It is the same principal as changing the grips on a 1911, or the grip inserts on other polymer guns. There is just a bit more work to it and yes it is permanent. Regardless I would take my molested Glocks over standard ones all day. TXPO

General Glocking
Certainly, Certifiable

"DUMP THE HUMP"

Last edited by TexasPOff; 03-23-2013 at 15:13..
Old 03-23-2013, 15:17   #13
jasper1323

TexasPOff, what things have been done to the glocks in that picture? That is exactly the grip and texture I want. Sorry for interrupting.

Last edited by jasper1323; 03-23-2013 at 15:19..
jasper1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 15:28   #14
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1323 View Post
TexasPOff, what things have been done to the glocks in that picture? That is exactly the grip and texture I want. Sorry for interrupting.
No problem, both have extreme reductions, finger hump removal, undercut and rounded trigger guards, the third gen has the mag recess cut, the fourth gen has the mag release contoured, and both are done in carry texture.

TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

"DUMP THE HUMP"
Old 03-23-2013, 15:42   #15
jasper1323

Do they have grip plugs in them? If so what kind do you prefer?
Old 03-23-2013, 17:06   #16
lwbfl
2A Defender

Buy a GEN4 , problem solved.
Glock 27 & G22 Gen 4
lwbfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 19:24   #17
up1911fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1323 View Post
Do they have grip plugs in them? If so what kind do you prefer?
The grips were REDUCED.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 22:55   #18
OrGlocker

Quote:
One quick question tell me that you weren't going to be shooting in GSSF were you especially amateur civilian/guardian, master-stock division if so you can't use it in those divisions, just saying.
OrGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 23:12   #19
up1911fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrGlocker View Post
One quick question tell me that you weren't going to be shooting in GSSF were you especially amateur civilian/guardian, master-stock division if so you can't use it in those divisions, just saying.
Because shooting in a certain division of gssf should be in the top 100 reasons of why you might modify a weapon.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 23:37   #20
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post

I can fit my hand around it just fine. Grip reductions are fairly common on Glocks. I assume this is because people who dislike the Glock "grip angle" still love/trust Glocks. I am one of those people. Btw, my purse is full.
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote