SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 22:37   #1
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Montana Gold has officially screwed me

I placed an order with Montana Gold back in the last week of January. 1000 9mm 147gr CMJ and 1000 .45 230gr JHP. Everything on their website indicated both products were in stock. I received my confirmation email that everything was good.

I just received what I assumed to be my full order. Sure did feel light, I thought. Turns out the only item in my box were the 9mms, and included was a hand written note. "230gr JHP out of stock. Try ordering again later."

So you wait until almost 2 full months after I placed my order to let me know my item is out of stock? And you don't even put me in a backorder line so my order can eventually get filled? And you're so back logged with orders that your website had to be pulled down, and will remain down for how many more weeks/months?

Thank goodness I just got an order of 230gr .45s from PD. Sorry for the rant, just felt like sharing my experience from the panic buying insanity. Carry on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33   #2
Colorado4Wheel

They are really poor business people. At least they are in a free state.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:24   #3
shotgunred
reloading nut

The up side is you received some of your order. Everyone has basically sold out of almost everything.

The biggest gun store in my county just closed its doors. They had sold all their inventory of almost everything but shotguns and some clothes. They weren't getting anything else in and had no idea when they were going to get more. The oldest gun store around here actually had a few AR's and some powder. They wanted $40. a pound for the powder they couldn't sell at $20 a pound two months ago. They didn't have any 22LR, 9mm, 40SW or 45acp in stock. They had a few boxes of small magnum primers they were selling at $41. a hundred.

I am sure if anyone in the press noticed they would state this is the largest shortage in ammo and supplies this country has ever had!
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post

I am sure if anyone in the press noticed they would state this is the largest shortage in ammo and supplies this country has ever had!
Except that I just got 5,000WSP for $125.00. I just ordered 5,000 WLP and we'll see if they show up, same price. I went to the new Academy they just opened and while ammo was thin, they did have various 9mm ball for about $12.00 or so. Yeah, not exactly low priced, but not too bad.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09   #5
fredj338

Did you call them? Too many people try run their lives via e-mail. Think of how easy it is to lose trak of what's going on w/ 2-3k e-mails a day coming in?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23   #6
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
They are really poor business people. At least they are in a free state.
When I was in Kalispell last year, I looked up the address and it was only 6 blocks away. I went there and they had a sign on the door the size of a 3X5 card saying "Montana Gold Bullets". Right below that was a sign roughly 12X18 saying "No Walk Ins". I was ready to lay down some cash too. They could charge the same and not have to deal with shipping if one person could break away for 5 minutes and sell to someone over the counter.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 14:29   #7
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

I wonder

I made an order just before they took the website down, and I got it a week or more ago. I didnt mind the wait and am quite satisfied.
However, how can they possibly not be caught up with shipping what was ordered before taking the website down. It has been right at 7 weeks since the website went down with the same message that it will be 3 more weeks.
They have done a very poor job of communicating to their customers what the heck is going on and when to expect to be selling bullets again.
I can understand that they may have been concentrating on making bullets nonstop since Feb.1, but to shut out everyone is just strange.
It is not just MGB, but all(excepting only a few) reloading related businesses have just dropped the ball on on customer service. Sure I understand that stuff is not in stock regularly, but why make people wait 2 to 4+ months for stuff that was listed as in stock. Put the stuff in a box and get going. Work overtime. Hire temps. But fill your end of the deal!
Keep in mind that I am not really complaining, but more venting. I will have to give them a pass for not satisfying every possible thing.
I will be buying MGB bullets again. Hopefully very soon. I want to be the first to order a case of .223 fmjs. Hopefully they won't jack up the prices.
I wish them the best as I am sure they have worked harder over the last 3 months than since they started the company. If they cant make it in this market, they wont be able to make it at all.
Old 03-23-2013, 14:37   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
When I was in Kalispell last year, I looked up the address and it was only 6 blocks away. I went there and they had a sign on the door the size of a 3X5 card saying "Montana Gold Bullets". Right below that was a sign roughly 12X18 saying "No Walk Ins". I was ready to lay down some cash too. They could charge the same and not have to deal with shipping if one person could break away for 5 minutes and sell to someone over the counter.

They are too busy mumbling and typing with one finger.
Old 03-23-2013, 16:28   #9
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post

Problem is the walk ins never stop. You stop to help one guy and two more come in, before you know it it's hours are lost then the guys on Glock Talk are posting how the order didn't ship for 7 weeks. Of course you could just hire some one and set up some retail outlet in the building ans staff it incase you get thre or four walk in customers, but then the days they don't walk in you need to pay the employee even when it's slow. So we raise the price per thousand and then guys on plain about us gouging the customer. I don't know if you can win here as a business owner.
Old 03-23-2013, 16:46   #10
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockrod View Post
I made an order just before they took the website down, and I got it a week or more ago. I didnt mind the wait and am quite satisfied.
However, how can they possibly not be caught up with shipping what was ordered before taking the website down. It has been right at 7 weeks since the website went down with the same message that it will be 3 more weeks.
They have done a very poor job of communicating to their customers what the heck is going on and when to expect to be selling bullets again.
I can understand that they may have been concentrating on making bullets nonstop since Feb.1, but to shut out everyone is just strange.
It is not just MGB, but all(excepting only a few) reloading related businesses have just dropped the ball on on customer service. Sure I understand that stuff is not in stock regularly, but why make people wait 2 to 4+ months for stuff that was listed as in stock. Put the stuff in a box and get going. Work overtime. Hire temps. But fill your end of the deal!
Keep in mind that I am not really complaining, but more venting. I will have to give them a pass for not satisfying every possible thing.
I will be buying MGB bullets again. Hopefully very soon. I want to be the first to order a case of .223 fmjs. Hopefully they won't jack up the prices.
I wish them the best as I am sure they have worked harder over the last 3 months than since they started the company. If they cant make it in this market, they wont be able to make it at all.
I am little frustrated too as I have been waiting to place an order as well. I don't know how far they are behind and if they had a handle on how many orders VS stock were on hand. My guess is they did not. That could be part of the new order page so they can track inventory VS orders. So they stopped and said to them selves ok what could it take us 3-4 weeks to get caught up. Surprise it's worse then they thought.

Plus once you shut down and try to get caught up and maybe tie inventory to orders you need to pick a time to "turn it back on". This means having enough inventory to keep up and not have to shut down again. Try to balance this against not loosing customers and managing your overhead and income. Not something easy to do during the undertaking.

Temps look good on paper, but really it's not that simple. It costs to train someone. I would bet there are a handful of unemployed people who could walk in and start working there with minimal "this is how we do it here" type of training. So you loose a guy in production to teach someone a job for what maybe a short period of time. By the time they learn the job it could be layoff time. The next question is there "equipment" for them to use? It's doesn't make sense to have 2 operators for one machine and even if they order a second machine could they get it? Would they still need it when it gets there? Will it ever pay for its self? Will they still have an industry with all that is going on politically?

Not trying to defend them or anyone else out there, but we do need to consider a few thing when we think "what's taking so long"
Old 03-23-2013, 17:59   #11
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Problem is the walk ins never stop. You stop to help one guy and two more come in, before you know it it's hours are lost then the guys on Glock Talk are posting how the order didn't ship for 7 weeks. Of course you could just hire some one and set up some retail outlet in the building ans staff it incase you get thre or four walk in customers, but then the days they don't walk in you need to pay the employee even when it's slow. So we raise the price per thousand and then guys on plain about us gouging the customer. I don't know if you can win here as a business owner.
They are in Montana, foot traffic is probably pretty low. They could handle dealing with the occasional customer. The issue might be zoning. They are a manufacturing operation. If they put in a storefront, they become "retail" which may be an issue with zoning or even insurance. Then they may have all kinds of issues with ADA etc. They would probably be required to have at least four bathrooms: men, women, LGBTG, service animal to include seizure assistance spitting cobras...Then you have to accommodate, or eject, all kinds of people. My wife works in retail and they get muslims coming in who set up prayer rugs and start howling at the top of their lungs in the middle of the store hoping to get thrown out so they can sue.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 18:25   #12
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
They are in Montana, foot traffic is probably pretty low. They could handle dealing with the occasional customer. The issue might be zoning. They are a manufacturing operation. If they put in a storefront, they become "retail" which may be an issue with zoning or even insurance. Then they may have all kinds of issues with ADA etc. They would probably be required to have at least four bathrooms: men, women, LGBTG, service animal to include seizure assistance spitting cobras...Then you have to accommodate, or eject, all kinds of people. My wife works in retail and they get muslims coming in who set up prayer rugs and start howling at the top of their lungs in the middle of the store hoping to get thrown out so they can sue.
Good point. Bottom line, retail isn't always simple!
Old 03-23-2013, 18:50   #13
noylj

Did you call them and ask about what happened?
Thankfully, I stocked up as much as I could having complete faith in the voting population to vote for freebies over responsibility.
Didn't all of you see this coming?
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 22:03   #14
dla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
I placed an order with Montana Gold back in the last week of January. 1000 9mm 147gr CMJ and 1000 .45 230gr JHP. Everything on their website indicated both products were in stock. I received my confirmation email that everything was good.

I just received what I assumed to be my full order. Sure did feel light, I thought. Turns out the only item in my box were the 9mms, and included was a hand written note. "230gr JHP out of stock. Try ordering again later."

So you wait until almost 2 full months after I placed my order to let me know my item is out of stock? And you don't even put me in a backorder line so my order can eventually get filled? And you're so back logged with orders that your website had to be pulled down, and will remain down for how many more weeks/months?

Thank goodness I just got an order of 230gr .45s from PD. Sorry for the rant, just felt like sharing my experience from the panic buying insanity. Carry on.
Boo-hoo. Somebody call the WAAAAAmbulance! Why don't you piss and moan about it on a forum or something.

dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41   #15
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

Didnt want to start a new thread on MGB, but

What have they done to their website now!?
Instead of the same message that has been there since Feb., now the website just comes up as an error message.

What are they doing??
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45   #16
PCJim

Website is working - says it is down for maintenance but to check back. Maybe your computer's cache needs cleaning?
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 13:05   #17
n2extrm

Well could be they gave up hope that they will be back up soon or could it be the new page is almost ready to launch?
Old 03-28-2013, 17:13   #18
shotgunred
reloading nut

Same page as several weeks ago.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03   #19
char923

Try this http://montanagoldbullet.com/public_...ento/index.php
char923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19   #20
Beanie-Bean

Sorry to hear about what happened, FN. I just placed an order for "in-stock" bullets this morning:

1000 x .400" 180 gr. CMJ
1000 x .400" 165 gr. CMJ

The order said Spring/Summer delivery date...

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote