SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 21:55   #1
AR15moose

Is the Hornady XTP 9MM 124 gr ammo good to use with the G19 Gen 4

Hello,

I am new to "Glock Talk", I have recently purchased a Glock G19 Gen 4. I found some ammo, Hornady XTP 9MM 124gr, #35571. Would this round be a decent round to use with our G19? We have about 500 rounds. I have a lot to learn, and have been reading a lot on this site. I appreciate your input and help. Would "Walmart" be a good place to try and buy more rounds? What would be your best opinion on a good round of ammo for shooting at our range, and the best for home protection. Thank you for your help!
AR15moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 23:22   #2
Ak.Hiker

The Hornady XTP is a fine load. It should be long on penetration however. When I carried a 9mm I liked the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot +P. 9mm is hard to find right now. When it hits the shelves again just about any name brand ball ammo works good for practice. I liked to run the 124 grain Speer Lawman.

Last edited by Ak.Hiker; 03-22-2013 at 23:23..
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 23:29   #3
AR15moose

Thank you Ak.Hiker! what would be a reasonable price to pay for the Speer Gold Dot +P 9mm? Wait, or buy now-seeing costs of $1.00 a round, seems high to me. Sure appreciate your help.

Last edited by AR15moose; 03-22-2013 at 23:43..
Old 03-23-2013, 14:53   #4
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15moose View Post
Thank you Ak.Hiker! what would be a reasonable price to pay for the Speer Gold Dot +P 9mm? Wait, or buy now-seeing costs of $1.00 a round, seems high to me. Sure appreciate your help.
A dollar a round is ridiculous!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 15:45   #5
AR15moose

I know it does seem high to me, no one seems to have any 9mm in stock, at least near where I am. I did find some Speer Gold Dot 9mm,luger +P 124 gr, GDHP, #23617, even the bulk seems high 250 rd to a box-.60C/ea in a box. I'm sorry if I'm asking a bad question here in the forum, please tell me if I am, is there a place that you buy ammo that is cheaper, on-line, or do you have some already, being a new owner, this is not something I have, but need too. I appreciate your input.
Old 03-23-2013, 15:59   #6
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

The Hornady XTP rounds are, indeed, a good one for SD. Gold Dots are about the best as are Ranger T in HP. I also use the Remington Golden Saber 124gr JHP +P and could get them for about $25 for 50 () before ammo got to the point of the Woolly Mammoths!!!

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 16:50   #7
WinterWizard

Moose, don't use expensive hollow points for range use. Buy the cheapest brass-cased FMJ ammo you can find. Buying expensive, defensive hollow points in the hundreds to waste at the range (other than testing function) is foolish.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 18:51   #8
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15moose View Post
Hello,

I am new to "Glock Talk", I have recently purchased a Glock G19 Gen 4. I found some ammo, Hornady XTP 9MM 124gr, #35571. Would this round be a decent round to use with our G19? We have about 500 rounds. I have a lot to learn, and have been reading a lot on this site. I appreciate your input and help. Would "Walmart" be a good place to try and buy more rounds? What would be your best opinion on a good round of ammo for shooting at our range, and the best for home protection. Thank you for your help!
As someone already mentioned, save your JHP rounds until after you find some FMJ range ammo to break in your new G-19. After that, shoot a couple hundred rounds of your XTPs to guarantee reliability and function.

The XTP round is somewhat underpowered compared to other premium self-defense ammos but since the XTP is also reputed to penetrate very well it seems to be a trade-off. The XTP bullet is also known as a very accurate bullet and in the total scheme of things accuracy is extremely important.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27   #9
SCmasterblaster

Moose, you should look for Win or Fed 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ loads. I get over 1400 FPS out of my G17.