Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 18:21   #21
intecooler

Buffalo Bore doesn't have much of a selection. An all copper that doesn't hit claims, a 200 TMJ, 220 hardcast and a 180gr with a Montana Gold.
DoubleTap has a few but...
intecooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:40   #22
intecooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Are those knuckleheads in the link you provided too stupid to know that Corbon uses special blend powders and not off the shelf stuff?
Little info on what blend means:

This is a popular misconception and only true to a limited degree. Commercial grades of most propellants commonly available to the public are blends of two or more production batches of the powder. These batches are blended by the manufacturer to yield specific ballistic performance within a fairly narrow range. This allows the use of any lot of the propellant to be safely used with commercially available loading data. The majority of "Non-canister powders" are nothing more than the original production lot, without blending usually, which is useable by the factories which have a ballistic lab. They determine the performance level (velocity) they want and, if the lot of powder they are using can each the target velocity without exceeding their predetermined pressure limit they will proceed to load the lot of powder.

All "non-canister" means is the burning rate of the lot does not qualify it to be sold to the public packaged in "cannisters". It wouldn't necessarily produce higher pressures, but could just as well give sub-standard performance with "book" loads.

There are exceptions, but the vast majority of powder loaded by the factories is very similar, but not identical to, the same powder sold to reloaders. One of the major exceptions to this was/is a powder kwnon to the trade as "Bullseye 84". This was loaded by the factories (all of them in the U.S.) for many years in the modrate to high intensity cartridges for semi-automatic pistols. Examples are 9mm, 40 S&W, and everything in the same range. Several years ago Alliant decided to standardize this propellant as a canister grade powder and they put it on the market. It has become very popular with handloaders for the same class of cartridges. It is called "Power Pistol". It is, no doubt, still sold to the ammuniion manufacturers as the non-canister grade known as Bullseye 84. I would expect many of the recent introductions by Alliant have a similar history.

To sum it up, there is usually nothing special about propellants loaded by the factories. What is "special" is the ballistic testing equipment that allows them to load to specific parameters with propellant lots which are not sold to the public.

And, yes, contrary to popular myth, a careful, knowledgible, experienced hand loader can usually equal the performance of factory ammunition with similar components. Part of the problem is to know what the actual performance level of the specific load in question is. The vast majority DO NOT give velocity levels anywhere close to to published performance when used in real guns under normal circumstances.
intecooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15   #23
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Are those knuckleheads in the link you provided too stupid to know that Corbon uses special blend powders and not off the shelf stuff?
I know that CorBon uses its own powder and bullets. And they get +p+ velocities using +p pressures.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33   #24
DAVIDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20 SF View Post
Shot through 7 mags of ammo last weekend mostly target stuff PPU, Blazer etc, but I loaded one mag up with the hot stuff - UW 180 grain.

The first couple of shots went off without a hitch, but I had trouble with 3 or 4 out of the 15 rounds feeding into the chamber, thus requiring me to push the slide forward to feed the next round. I had no issues with the other 6 clips of ammo, which leads me to believe the issue was ammo related.

I sent Underwood an e-mail and Kevin Underwood was quick to reply asking that I call him, which I did but still waiting on that call back.

Being a new G20 owner I was curious if anyone else experienced a similar issue when shooting Underwood.
Is your G20 a Gen4 or Gen3? I spoke to Kevin about recoil springs for the G20 with his 10mm loads. You may need heavier springs for it to cycle properly. I just bought a Gen4 G20 and I will be trying his loads when they become available. He has not had experience with the Gen4 springs & advised that I try with the stock springs first. If it won't function properly then go with heavier springs.

The Underwood Ammo is loaded hotter than any of the others (based on chronograph results posted on youtube) & that can cause problems with the light stock recoil springs on the G20. It is not an issue with the ammo itself.
DAVIDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 13:30   #25
gatorboy

I had problems with 10mm 165 and 180 TMJ FTFeed in both 20 and 29 with LWD barrels. Shot 155 GD from both no problem.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 18:25   #26
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by intecooler View Post
You are a Cor-Bon fanatic yes? Cor-Bon is down here ___ and Underwood up here ----. It's like Apples to Oranges in performance. I have been sending Chopinbloc Cor-Bon for gel testing and have yet to see anything that moves me.

Enjoy some recent tear-down info:

http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10m...bon-135gr-pow/

Well none have met spec yet. Two 135 types and different specs. Just nothing justifies the cost IMO.
Are you trying to say that CorBon is +p and that UW is +p+? I already know that.
Old 03-15-2013, 18:02   #27
PghJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20 SF View Post
So I got to thinking,,, why would just the Underwood give me trouble with feeding if lubricity of the slide was an issue? I shot 5 clips of the regular stuff before without issue and another clip of the regular stuff after the UW clip and did not have a problem. The only time my experienced troubles with feeding the round was when it was loaded with UW.
Please, they are magazines not clips. I have found with my G29 that I had to match the recoil sping to the Underwood. My first suggestion would be to slow the slide down and stronger magazine springs.

I have never had any real problems with 1,000's of rounds of Underwood in just about every caliber. I carry a G32 and there was something about that gun blowing up that makes me a little suspicious, but I cannot put my finger on it. Like if it happened to me, I would be on my cell phone to Kevin 10mins later. It could have been a bad round, bad barrel, firing a little out of battery. I had a G33 KKM barrel and the bottom lug sheared off.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 13:51   #28
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Please, they are magazines not clips. I have found with my G29 that I had to match the recoil sping to the Underwood. My first suggestion would be to slow the slide down and stronger magazine springs.

I have never had any real problems with 1,000's of rounds of Underwood in just about every caliber. I carry a G32 and there was something about that gun blowing up that makes me a little suspicious, but I cannot put my finger on it. Like if it happened to me, I would be on my cell phone to Kevin 10mins later. It could have been a bad round, bad barrel, firing a little out of battery. I had a G33 KKM barrel and the bottom lug sheared off.
Magazines, bullets, cartridges, clips. It takes some real learning to get these terms right.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 03-18-2013 at 17:59..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 14:08   #29
Glockcubed

I just ran about 150 rounds of 230 gr with no problem.
Old 03-16-2013, 14:12   #30
flw

I have some UW and only wish I had more. I failed to order before ammo dried up.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 19:11   #31
Glockcubed

I have had no problems with Kevin's ammo in any of my Glock's. No problem with BB or DT either. All stock.
Old 03-18-2013, 18:00   #32
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
I have some UW and only wish I had more. I failed to order before ammo dried up.
So even UW is all sold out? Bummer.
Old 03-18-2013, 21:21   #33
chemboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
So even UW is all sold out? Bummer.
Best way I have found to obtain Underwood's stuff is to 'like' their Face Book page.
They will post there when they have certain calibers and weights in stock. But you have to act fast-the other day I was on FB when they posted that they had some 9mm in stock. I ordered a couple of boxes right then and there. They were sold out in about 20 minutes?

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.

Last edited by chemboy; 03-18-2013 at 21:23..
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:29   #34
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemboy View Post
Best way I have found to obtain Underwood's stuff is to 'like' their Face Book page.
They will post there when they have certain calibers and weights in stock. But you have to act fast-the other day I was on FB when they posted that they had some 9mm in stock. I ordered a couple of boxes right then and there. They were sold out in about 20 minutes?
BHO and Hillary have all of the gun and ammo buyers running scared for sure.
Old 03-18-2013, 21:41   #35
chemboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
BHO and Hillary have all of the gun and ammo buyers running scared for sure.
No doubt. But by keeping an eye on his 'page' I have obtained a thousand? rounds of 9mm, 357 sig, 40, 10mm, and 45 ACP ammo the past few months.
So, I'm happier than a pig in scheisse-Underwood has done very well in all my handguns.

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55   #36
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemboy View Post
No doubt. But by keeping an eye on his 'page' I have obtained a thousand? rounds of 9mm, 357 sig, 40, 10mm, and 45 ACP ammo the past few months.
So, I'm happier than a pig in scheisse-Underwood has done very well in all my handguns.
Good for you, sir!!