GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2013, 16:40   #51
countrygun

The small batch automated jelly maker we bought. With our own berries and fruit we can put up small batches as things ripen. with a special needs daughter t home that love jelly we paid for it in less than one summer.

Same with Canning equipment.

If you want to get real cheap.

Egg cartons, the fiberboard not Styrofoam type, dryer lint and left over paraffin. Fire starters for the fire place. Small money, but free none the less.

Plastic take-out food container with clear tops as mini-greenhouses for seedlings. Offsets buying the take out in the winter.

Most of my little "savers" are aimed at specific hobbies or trades.

OH and one Freebie that can save a ton of money,

the phrase

"Speak to my attorney"

Last edited by countrygun; 03-20-2013 at 16:40..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 17:31   #52
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Getting the milk for free, instead of buying the cow.
Winner! Thread over...
2bgop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 17:33   #53
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
This is a false economy.

You'd save far more money by simply avoiding smoking. You'd save by not buying all the packs per day, plus save on future expected medical expenses and insurance increases from the smoking-habit.

Also, smoking has hidden costs, like reducing the value of your car/home/clothing, etc, due to them being penetrated with cigarette odors.
Some true, some not.

By continuing smoking, he will die younger, think of all the money saved on food, clothes, housing. If he does it right, there won't be medical costs. This will also reduce social security payments, so we all are better off. Also may not need to save for retiremnet at all.

One reason we have all of the social security and medicare future shortfalls, is because people are living healthier and smoking less, and living longer. When it went into effect average life expectancy for men was right at social security age or a bit less. For black men it was a lot less. I say, have them smoke more, drink more, and use dangerous drugs more. Instead of social security and medicare for those that can't afford to live past working age, we should go with an elderly Logan's Run type thing, you know like Obamacare.

racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 17:49   #54
wrczx3
Jerry

I bought myself a $90.00 coffee maker and make my own coffee at home now. I was spending atleast 100.00 a month at Dunkin Donuts before.
wrczx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 17:55   #55
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrczx3 View Post
I bought myself a $90.00 coffee maker and make my own coffee at home now. I was spending atleast 100.00 a month at Dunkin Donuts before.
They do have some good coffee.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:02   #56
JerryVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by belial View Post
Switching to double edged saftey razors. I spend $25 on blades for a year, not a package.
I had the same thought 3 years ago when I switched to DE shaving until I really got the bug and now have 5 razors, 3 brushes, and more soaps and oils than I can count. No net savings there.

For me savings came in the way of a nice pen. I use to go through a pack of pens a month because I would leave them everywhere and lose them. 2 years ago for Christmas someone got me a nice $50 pen and I still have it. I have almost eliminated my entire pen budget.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JerryVO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 18:11   #57
NMG26

So does the 40 dollar Sam's Club card save you money?

I got one and it seems to save money on items I buy all the time........Coffee, Dog food, snacks, ect.........

Last edited by NMG26; 03-20-2013 at 18:11..
NMG26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 18:18   #58
volky
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Yep, that would have saved some money for sure.
I see what you did there.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:20   #59
mac66
Plant the seed

4 Money Saving Tips...

1.Just think of all the money you would save if all you ate is dog food? And you can wear the bag as clothes.

2. Fire instead of razor blades or haircuts. A good second or third degree burn will keep those pesky hairs from growing back.

3. Live under a rock. Dig a hole and you're good to go.

4. Alcohol or drug addiction is cheaper than having to buy clothes to go to work, gas up a car, spend money on a mortgage, rent, car payment, insurance, medical costs or pay taxes. People stop bothering you for loans. The more you drink, the less expense you have. Once you become homeless, you are debt free. Back to the simple life.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:33   #60
wrczx3
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
They do have some good coffee.
I agree that it can be good but it is way too inconsistant. I make my own the same way every day and I think it is even better than Dunks.
wrczx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 18:45   #61
vettely

Quote:
I agree that it can be good but it is way too inconsistant. I make my own the same way every day and I think it is even better than Dunks.
And you can get Dunkin coffee at Costco.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:55   #62
The Hawk

I have been making my own breakfast at home for years now. Pretty cheap to pour a glass of OJ, bowl of cereal and cup of coffee from home. Also take a sammich with a baggie of pretzels and a Big K diet soda for lunch rather than dining out.
Several years ago I switched to CFL bulbs in my house. Probably saving $7 or $8 a month.
I have changed the oil in our cars ever since I started driving. Costs about half to DIY.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 18:56   #63
JW1178

I agree with above, using a zippo instead of a bic means you are not wasting as much money. Smoking is a terrible waste of money, not only does it cost a lot initially, but has other costs. I really don't understand how someone can smoke heavily and say they enjoy it, but alcoholics will say they like to drink and a crack head loves crack, but do they really love it?

A lot of good one's on here. Thanks to this economy, I've learned a lot about saving money.

1. High capacity magazines, same cost as low capacity but holds more bullets. :D

2. Buying 2L bottles instead of cans. I know soda is a waste of money, but not bad if you buy bottles.

3. I don't eat meat, so it's cheaper, but getting in my nutrient macros is harder without protein powder and other supplements. Supplements are expensive but cheaper than trying to get it out of foods.

4. Base supplements instead of multi supplements. Whenever they mix it for you, it cost more. It's amazing how some of these pre-workouts are basically creatine with flavoring and stimulants. Buy they separately and save.

6. Farmer's markets instead of grocery stores. Grocery store packages it and all for you, cost a lot more. Like how spinach comes in the fancy tubs, you are paying for the tub.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 19:07   #64
somebodybuymeaglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
street walkers instead of Charlie Sheen level goddesses saves a subtantial amount too.

There are some things in life you shouldnt skimp on...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

-Mark Twain
somebodybuymeaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 19:20   #65
bush pilot

I stopped going to my usual haunts (Costco, Wal Mart etc...) unless I REALLY need something. Even now I'll pick-up an item and think twice before putting it in the cart.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 20:40   #66
RenoF250

I do my own maintenance on vehicles, house etc. I also take care of my stuff so that it lasts a long time (this has the undesirable side affect of ultra pissing you off when your kids break it). Buy used on CL rather than new. When you need something watch CL for awhile to find a deal. This also occupies you so you are not buying something else.
Dry paper towels used to dry your hands and reuse in the garage. I bring home quite a pile from work, I think it saves ~ roll/month.

Cut your coke with drain cleaner to make it last.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 20:48   #67
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
  1. Cutting my own grass ($400 lawn mower, $200 weed eater)
  2. Cutting my own hair ($30 buzzer)
  3. Changing my own oil in my car.
  4. Using $3 Car Wash place with free vacuums, instead of full service places.
  5. Using free plastic grocery bags for my cat's poop. (free)
  6. Using Purina Layena chicken feed for cat litter. (like $20 for 4 months+)
  7. Home cooking food instead of eating out.
  8. Eating bagged beans/veggies instead of canned.
  9. Using a water filter instead of buying bottled water.
  10. Buying non-spoilable household goods in bulk when on sale.
  11. Choosing store brands over name brands.
  12. Choosing CFL light bulbs over incandescent bulbs for the house.
  13. Not running home or car A/C more than necessary. Use fans instead.
  14. Not leaving unnecessary lights on, or leaving water running more than needed.
  15. Driving the car gently, no speeding or hard accelerating. (saves gas).
  16. Paying for insurance in 6-month blocks
  17. Paying for cars and purchases in cash to avoid interest payments.
  18. Recycling my plastic and glass bottles in order to avoid wasting (using) my trash bags.
  19. Buying high-efficiency toilets and household appliances.
  20. Avoiding cable TV, and instead using free HDTV air-wave signals + Redbox Bluray movie rentals.
  21. Avoiding wasteful spending habits: Smoking, booze, drug use, eating-out, gambling, fast food, etc. (Huge $$$$ savings)
  22. Never using vending machines or convenience stores. Always shopping at low-cost bulk retailers.
  23. Never consuming soft drinks, junk foods, or pre-packaged convenience foods. Always choosing raw/bland/bulk foods and ingredients for health and cost savings.

I basically operate exactly the opposite of our wasteful government.
Don't worry, they will tax the money you saved to pay for their waste.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 00:59   #68
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Including everything else that has been mentioned, this one is the most recent thing we have done. I used to go to Dunkin a few times a week on the way home from work and buy coffees for me and the wife. Now we just brew it at home. Huge savings.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02   #69
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Learning to make pizza at home. 5$ worth of ingredients can make a pizza youd pay 20 for at the takeout.

And i'm learning to make GOOD pizza like from a real mom and pop hole in the wall NJ pizzeria, not cardboard crust crappy gas station pizza. Hand spun dough2 days in advance w fine milled 00 italian flour, sauce from pomodoro san marzanos w just the right amount of garlic and oregano and the hunt for the perfect whole milk mozzarella. Baked on a stone 500+ degrees.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25   #70
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Women and children. Any self respecting man would realize all these tasks need to be done by others, so we can do what only we can do.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:26   #71
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

I used to be a professional mechanic so I do all my own car work,except tires and alignments.

And being mechanically inclined I do all my house repairs too.

Have worked nights for 15+ years now and hardly ever eat out.

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59   #72
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
I think we have saved money by only having one vehicle.

Yes, at times you must do some planning ahead, but the upside is less insurance, less maintenance, less depreciation, less tires, one less battery, headaches, etc. to worry about. Once I got over the urge of multiple trucks and motorcycles sitting around I had more time. I try to live a minimalist lifestyle but you would never know from all the other crap I store to "save for later" and reduce expenses.

I also rent a car instead of taking the car on long vacation trips (+2000 miles, etc.), which lets you try other vehicles while saving wear and tear on your owned vehicle.

Do as many things you can yourself instead of hiring them done, but you probably need to draw the line at self-dentistry and surgery.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50   #73
That's all Brother

Quote:
Switching to double edged saftey razors. I spend $25 on blades for a year, not a package.
+1 I pick up DE blades and Single Edge blades for about 3.00 for 10 blades. If you go with a GEM or Ever-Ready SE don't use the blades from the hardware store, all single edge blades are not created equal.

Andy: Ernest T, did your Mother ever hit you?
Ernest T: Oh Yea, It was wonderful
That's all Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02   #74
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
I bought an ice tea maker last year. Been drinking a bunch more tea and less soda since then. I think I figured it cost about .10 for 2 quarts of tea.
You do know you can just boil water and pour it into a container with tea bags in it and save even MORE on that silly "ice tea maker", Jack!?

Quote:
Plus the start-up costs of a razor, possibly a brush and a cup and soaps. And trying the 28 different types of blades before settling on one. LOL

I get the 10-pack of triple-blade CVS brand. Each one lasts me 2.5 weeks. I know I spend less than $25/yr. But I have one of them baby-beards. I'm 44 and can't grow a full beard, nor would you notice I haven't shaved for days 1-5 or so. LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04   #75
Drain You
NRA member

I print out my own guns.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote