Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 19:10   #1
Texanmile

My SHTF Weapons combo...

Alright, here is my combo for SHTF, primarily having to "bug out"...

Stainless Ruger 10/22 and a 9mm Glock.

Reason being, a .22LR will keep any aggressor's head down and can reach out to about 200yds if needed. I should be running away from threats at this point, but if anyone get's close I have the 9mm as a back up. .22LR and 9mm are both small rounds and I can carry a lot. Plus, with the 10/22 I can hunt small game.

Thoughts????
Texanmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:12   #2
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:14   #3
Revvv

A trespasser with an ar15 in .223 will shut you down and then take over what's left with a shotgun.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:41   #4
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
A trespasser with an ar15 in .223 will shut you down and then take over what's left with a shotgun.

It happens.

Life is pain.

/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 03-18-2013 at 19:41..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:51   #5
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
My SHTF bug out a Polish underfolder AK, a Glock 22 40 cal
Body armor with level 4 rifle plates IFAK thigh mounted first aid kit, thigh holster for my Glock, Tac light laser for the Glock, Mep Night sight's on both the Glock and AK.......
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:54   #6
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Originalฎ

Survival/Preparedness Forum
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:27   #7
Texanmile

Quote:
Please explain...
Old 03-18-2013, 21:30   #8
sharkbait22

I would say spot on. But would have gone with the blued .22 rather than the stainless due to rust and just too damn shiny.
sharkbait22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:35   #9
r3dot

I think a .22 would do just fine in most situations for bugging out. As long as you have a back up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:43   #10
DAIadvisor

M240B with 200 round box, and Barrett M107.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 22:29   #11
wjv

Quote:
And a guy with a .308 will take him out.

And a guy with a .50 will take him out.

And a guy with a Mortar will take him out.

Regardless of what you have, there will always be some one with a bigger gun. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 22:50   #12
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

*And a guy/women with a Brain can stay safe....or take `em all out.

`Hey great post Texanmile!....Sounds good to me also
LASTRESORT20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 23:05   #13
Mattkcc

If you are bugging out I would agree you have a good combo for many reasons. Mine would be similar except I would take my 23 with 9mm barrel, been highly reliable for many years of use, with the 40 barrel and my AA 22 conversion. Being armed with a AR or an AK in a bug-out is putting a huge target on your back. The weapon is going to be far more valuable then your life. A 22 semi auto doesn't seem like much until someone is unloading one at you. When you are bugging out you are trying to survive not go to war. Laying down suppression fire while you get the heck out of the fight is going to keep you a live. You can only carry so much ammo and it gets used up very quickly in a fight. Both 9mm and 22 rounds are light weight and so are the guns. I can tell you from experience it doesn't matter whether someone is shooting 5.56, 7.62 or 22LR semi-auto fire at you, you will keep your head down until the bullets stop whizzing over your head.

Last edited by Mattkcc; 03-18-2013 at 23:06..
Mattkcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 23:10   #14
ClydeG19

I agree that engaged armed persons while not on your own turf should not be the first option. However, I would recommend getting a rifle or shotgun that can put someone down a little more effectively if need be. To each his own though...you have to be comfortable with the tools and tactics you choose.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 23:29   #15
Revvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmile View Post
Please explain...
It's simple, you are going to be miserably outgunned. There will always be someone bigger and more talented, but......

At least try to maintain a mid pack status.

Also, you stated that you should be proficient with a .22 out to 200 yards. That's not a bad distance. However, a .223 or .556 is good out to 500 yards or better in the right hands. If someone with an AR wanted to take you out they would only need to stay out a few hundred yards.

With that being said, I would at the very least arm myself with a good hunting rifle with decent optics. Then you have sniper capabilities. :p

Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Not a bad choice if you are planning on being defensive all the time... and while I agree that fighting is the last resort in that situation, sometimes when you got no choice, you have to go on the offensive as your best defense.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:50   #17
Stevekozak
Returning video

You could do a lot worse, and your reasons are sound. I think you will be just fine with what you have, while the commandos in this thread are sniping and firefighting with each other. Hell, you can walk out afterwords and pick up their high powered weapons.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51   #18
quake

If that's what I had, I'd use it. But I'd prefer 'more', at least in the carbine aspect. I'm a lot less power-mad than most, but there are limits even for my comfort zone. I used to do a fair bit of shooting with .22's at 165-230 yards and while you can get to where you hit with them, the power is just very weak out that far. Never mind the bullet drop, which is in the three- to five-foot range, the bullet's going to be down to probably 30-40 ft/lbs or so out there; nearly down to paintball-gun or pellet-gun power levels. Don't know the exact numbers, but I'd almost bet that even a good high-velocity .22lr (such as a mini-mag) at 200 yards is down to within 20-30 ft/lbs of what a paintball gun or decent pellet gun is at the muzzle.

Even going to a lowly 9mm carbine would probably give 8-10 TIMES the power at that range than the .22LR would. Again, I haven't run the specific numbers, but I'd bet it's close to that. One set of numbers I have run in the past is muzzle energy on 9mm carbines; and a decent 9mm load from a carbine will have the same energy at 500 yards as a .22LR has at the muzzle. The difference really is that great between a .22 rimfire and even a lowly pistol-caliber cartridge like this.

For that matter, going to a 9mm carbine would also give complete ammo commonality with your pistol, so you'd never face the issue of "I've got pistol ammo but not rifle ammo". As long as you can feed one of them, you can feed both of them. And any small-game hunting you can do with a .22, can be done with the 9mm as well; plus it would let you take game that you other wise couldn't/shouldn't.

Not knocking the .22 inherently; I'm a huge fan and respect it immensely. A single .22 round 25 years ago put me flat on my back so fast I don't remember falling. But that was point-blank; at any real distance, (youtube and internet claims aside... ), it just doesn't have much power at all.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12   #19
Texanmile

Quake, great response... thank you. I would get a Sub 2000 in 9mm if I could find one at a reasonable price. That would be the ticket, although I do have questions about quality...

Revv, do you think a .308 bolt action should replace the .22 or a 12ga shotgun? I guess with that I could keep folks away from a distance, still while retreating.

I guess that is the MAIN point I'd make here... that I am running away at this point!

Although, gotta stop running sometime don't you?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43   #20
DaveG

.300 Win Mag... I can stand off from a deer size target 2,000 yards, minimum.

Last edited by DaveG; 03-19-2013 at 08:49..
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02   #21
quake

Got me curious so I went to http://www.handloads.org/calc/index.html to re-check something.

Figure a .22LR is 36 grains @ 1280 fps or so - that's 131 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. I looked up what my camp-9 puts out, and it pushes federal 9bple 115 grainers at 1615.8 fps on average. It's still slightly more powerful at 550 yards (not the 500 I was guessing) than the .22 rifle is at the muzzle. Put another way, a .22 rifle even shooting mini-mags is still less powerful at the muzzle than the 9mm is from more than a quarter mile away. Even staying away from any +P+ or even +P loads; just plain old WWB-USA 115 fmj from the carbine runs 1505fps at the muzzle of the camp-9, and still has a little over 125 ft/lbs at 400-450 yards. Again, just a simple 9mm round; not approaching what a real rifle caliber can do.

Ran numbers at 100 yards for the .22, and it's roughly 1010 fps, or 80-90 ft/lbs depending on bullet weight. That's what a 9mm carbine has at (believe it or not) 800-900 yards.

From a strictly power perspective, if I can't see the 9mm carbine as "powerful enough" at 500-800 yards, the same has to be said of the .22 rimfire at 100-150 yards.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35   #22
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

No one has mentioned it yet but I assume from your post that you are on the ankle express and not in a vehicle.

I love your choice of a 9mm Glock, I have made the same one.

When it comes to a rifle it turns to usage and resupply. I go by the philosophy that what I bring is it, period. If you are in a gunfight and you win you get another gun and some ammo for it. If you can carry it...

I am between a 10/22 take down and an AR-15. If you plan on being gone a long time the .22 looks good with 1.5k rounds and if your planning on a limitted time then the AR-15 with 270 rounds might be right. All depends on what you can carry of course. I like your choice though.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:19   #23
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

.22mag UR. '08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26   #24
sharkbait22

I think a lot of people ITT are not comprehending the actual use of the rifle. You can carry a god awful amount if .22LR on foot and being able to hunt small game is paramount. Shoot a squirrel or rabbit with your AR or shotgun and you won't have much left to eat. As well as you are wasting valuable defensive ammo. The .22 is the best all around gun for bugging out IMO.

Last edited by sharkbait22; 03-19-2013 at 10:26..
sharkbait22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53   #25
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait22 View Post
I think a lot of people ITT are not comprehending the actual use of the rifle. You can carry a god awful amount if .22LR on foot and being able to hunt small game is paramount. Shoot a squirrel or rabbit with your AR or shotgun and you won't have much left to eat. As well as you are wasting valuable defensive ammo. The .22 is the best all around gun for bugging out IMO.
Or you can bug with a defensive rifle and one of these.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is online now   Reply With Quote