GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 17:57   #26
Rotn1

Life is too variable to try to think of all the potential scenarios. Best be trained and have good situational awareness.
Beyond that, and with all due respect all options are on the table, including doing nothing.
It does not escape me, that the people I "might help" probably wouldn't remember my name, while my family would be grieving.
I'll take it as it comes.
Rotn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:05   #27
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Sounds likes he's trying to justify his stance to himself. Sad way to go through life.
BS. He is 100% correct.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 20:50   #28
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
The sheepdog thing isn't "cheesy", it's childish. It's desperately seeking admiration
So sayeth the person with an avatar named after a fictional former insurgent and bank robber turned drunkard who has a tendency to speak with his pistol, played on the big screen by a western legend...
I will agree with you that the average Joe who is walking around referring to himself as a sheepdog because he is carrying is probably looking for attention and more of a danger to himself and others than he is helpful.

"I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.”

Last edited by mustang6112; 03-18-2013 at 20:56..
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:10   #29
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
I always imagine that people talking about being a sheep dog carry one of these as well.

I carry to protect me and mine. If I see you or yours in an altercation; I will stick around to be a good witness as long as it does not put me in any danger.

Once you start looking to inject yourself into a situation that you know will require the use of your weapon, you are no longer carrying for personal defense. Oklahoma is a castle state, I have no duty to retreat; but I also have no legal standing if I take action against someone that was not a threat to me.

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:14   #30
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6112 View Post
So sayeth the person with an avatar named after a fictional former insurgent and bank robber turned drunkard who has a tendency to speak with his pistol, played on the big screen by a western legend...
That' some stupid **** right there, I don't care who you are, that's stupid ****.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:15   #31
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk?
No; it all began with an article written by Dave Grossman titled: On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs

http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/...sheepdogs.html
Old 03-18-2013, 21:18   #32
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The Internet, no matter what it was built for, used by those who are ignorant to show us how ignorant.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 22:18   #33
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The Internet, no matter what it was built for, used by those who are ignorant to show us how ignorant.
THAT didn't start on GT/GNG, either, but there are a lot of examples to be found.

I've always thought the "sheepdog" thing was kind of dumb, but that's because I think calling people "sheep" is dumb. People make different choices in their life. If I choose to carry a gun, that doesn't make me better than someone who doesn't feel comfortable doing so. It just means I've made a different choice.

And yes, I fully expect to get mocked for saying that on a gun forum. But that's because there are so many "sheepdogs" here to show me the error of my ways.....
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02   #34
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I'm not either. I have no duty or obligation to protect anyone outside of my family. Why open myself to personal and financial harm for someone else who won't take their personal defense seriously and they would most likely not pee in my ear if my head was on fire if the shoe was on the other foot.
You have a very dim view of the world sir.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22   #35
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Sounds likes he's trying to justify his stance to himself. Sad way to go through life.
Something is wrong in the matrix as we agree on this one.

(skeery...)
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:25   #36
Berto
woo woo

The Okie Corral
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:25   #37
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
More like a lesbian cougar.
That is absolutely cruel.... but funny as all heck!
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52   #38
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

As someone else said, there are far too many scenarios to say for sure just what I might do in any of them, but for now the only way I would intervene in a situation is if there was obvious danger of a child, woman or elderly person losing life or limb.

My goal in life is to not find myself in a situation that requires the use of my weapon. I certainly do not see a need to go out of my way to find trouble.

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06   #39
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

The moron on the video is thinking of want-to-be-mall-ninjas, a sheepdog is a different animal altogether.

He is correct, not everyone is a sheepdog. Some like the guy in the video will apparently sit idly by when he finds himself in the middle of a Beslan experience. Fair enough.

Quote:
On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
(From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)
http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:26   #40
Bren
NRA Life Member

It does seem like many CCWers, especially those who have never been in the military or law enforcement, are more Pomeranian than Sheepdog.

As long as they aren't a liability to the rest of us, I guess not being able to depend on our fellow citizens is no less than we should expect. It's always interesting to read their attempts to justify it here, as if explaining why not taking a risk to help others is logical or justifiable makes it less cowardly.

Last edited by Bren; 03-19-2013 at 07:27..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54   #41
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
ahhh... no. Your comment below applies to your comment above.

Quote:
That' some stupid **** right there, I don't care who you are, that's stupid ****.

"I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.”
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00   #42
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The arrogance of ignorance is amazing to behold, isn't it?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17   #43
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
BS. He is 100% correct.
Being a coward isn't really "correct" or "incorrect," it's just the nature of some people. The attempt to justify it with explanation is the evidence of their nature. To them, it is perfectly logical and anybody who takes a risk to help others is foolish or "childish" or whatever. I assume it makes the cowards feel better to convince themselves that they are superior. The rest of us, on the other hand, don't view them that way.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10   #44
packeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Being a coward isn't really "correct" or "incorrect," it's just the nature of some people. The attempt to justify it with explanation is the evidence of their nature. To them, it is perfectly logical and anybody who takes a risk to help others is foolish or "childish" or whatever. I assume it makes the cowards feel better to convince themselves that they are superior. The rest of us, on the other hand, don't view them that way.
I'm glad your world is so black and white. There are just too many variables in the world to generalize. As much as I hate the "What if" scenarios, in any CPL/CHL training they come out of the woodwork. The number of possible different scenarios in itself shows how dynamic the world really is. When shooting in the defense of another you are even more removed from the details then when shooting for self defense.

Scenario:
You walk into a bank. Everyone's face down on the floor except a man who is standing pointing a gun at another man on the floor. What do you do? Pull your weapon and fire? Save the poor mans life who will get shot execution style? What if the man standing up was an off duty cop or another "sheepdog" holding a robber at gunpoint until police arrived?

There are to many variables and legal consequences to get involved in other peoples safety, all the time. While I'm all for protecting the lives of my fellow man, I need to be damn sure of who is the aggressor in the given scenario.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by packeagle; 03-19-2013 at 09:12..
packeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52   #45
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It isn't cowardice to put your family's safety and welfare first. To the contrary, failing to place your family's safety and welfare first by intervening in a situation in such a way as to place your own children, spouse or loved ones in harm's way is a moral and ethical betrayal of your responsibilities as a spouse and parent.

Playing hero with your own life is one thing. Playing hero with your children's lives is quite another.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 03-19-2013 at 09:55..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25   #46
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

If your wife & children aren't with you?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28   #47
whoops dude

Would I intervene in a situation that unfolded right infront of me? Most likely. Would I head towards the sound of gunfire and "close to engage" in a mall of crowded people without even some of the facts? Probably not.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31   #48
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
If your wife & children aren't with you?
Here's something I don't believe I've seen mentioned....

I run out to the store, whatever, leave my wife and son at home. In the store, I've checked out and close to the door as a guy at the other end of the store opens fire, screaming and just blasting away. I SEE it happen, there's no question at all of who the bad guy is.

I can draw a fire arm and try to get close enough to drop the bad guy, or I can get out the door and find cover to call the police, whatever. If I move on the guy, I could very well be killed.

Personally, I would hit the door because I don't want to widow my wife and leave my son without his father. I frankly don't give a damn what anyone thinks of me making that choice. A CCW permit is not a cape and tights. It's not a badge that makes me law enforcement, and it's not a contract with society that I'll jump in front of a bullet for anyone outside of my family.

Selfish? Maybe, but I'm not answerable to anyone other than to take care of my family. That mean putting them ahead of me, and me ahead of anyone else.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32   #49
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
It isn't cowardice to put your family's safety and welfare first. To the contrary, failing to place your family's safety and welfare first by intervening in a situation in such a way as to place your own children, spouse or loved ones in harm's way is a moral and ethical betrayal of your responsibilities as a spouse and parent.

Playing hero with your own life is one thing. Playing hero with your children's lives is quite another.
Your position suggests you believe that one is mutually exclusive to the other.

Not to mention, it seems your position is that every soldier who's given his life betrayed his family.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51   #50
WarCry

Quote:
Not to mention, it seems your position is that every soldier who's given his life betrayed his family.
If a man, married with children, decided to enlist when his wife asked him not to? Yeah, I could say that could be argued to be the case.

There's a reason a lot of military members end up being divorced. A lot of families just can't handle that strain. And a lot of THOSE are even with the families that understand and 'sign on' when the member enlists.

The same argument could be made about police officers.

But you're changing the metric here. When you talk about military members, police officers, even firefighters, etc, these are all jobs that those people ELECT to do. They step up and volunteer with the full knowledge - and, presumably, the tacit agreement if not full-throated support - of their families. That's a far cry from just some guy that walks into a bank or a mall or a Walmart at just the wrong time. To try and equate them is just fallacious.

And, for the record, I was out of the Army for 5 years when the 9/11 attack happened. When the war in Afghanistan started to ramp up, I started weighing the options to re-enlist, but it was in the middle of October that my wife found out she was pregnant.

Are you planning to call me a coward now for opting to take care of my wife and child rather than re-enlisting?

Tags
ccw, sheepdog