Old 03-16-2013, 14:44   #2
cowboy1964

No real new news there.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 15:47   #3
F350

Quote from the article..
Quote:
The recent sales activity comes even as one survey suggests a broader decline in gun ownership. A survey by researchers at the University of Chicago released last week found that 34% of adults owned guns last year, down from 49% in 1973.
I got a good explanation for ya: Someone calls my house and asks if I own any guns the answer is going to be "HELL NO! I hate the things", even though I could equip a Marine infantry squad. In today's political environment how many here would answer such a question from a stranger?? I am just as likely to give out my credit card info to someone on the phone.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 16:16   #4
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
Quote from the article..

I got a good explanation for ya: Someone calls my house and asks if I own any guns the answer is going to be "HELL NO! I hate the things", even though I could equip a Marine infantry squad. In today's political environment how many here would answer such a question from a stranger?? I am just as likely to give out my credit card info to someone on the phone.
That AND there have been many, many reports in different media that gun sales are through the roof, ammo is almost impossible to find and people are acquiring guns of all types at record numbers! How can CNN say that?!?!

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 16:56   #5
SevenSixtyTwo

Last weekend we stopped at Shoot Straight to see about a belt holster for my P938 and they actually had about 10 AR's on the wall at normal MSRP. A month ago you couldn't find a dust print of one. No AK's yet. WM had 12g and some 270, .308 but no handgun or 7.62, 5.56 ammo. I think the frenzy has peaked and those who paid a ransom for their rifle are going to be a little grumpy in a few months. The AWB stands a 2% chance at this point. Most Democrats remember 1996.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 17:03   #6
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Quote from the article..

I never answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the number anyhow. Tired of explaining to sales people that if I need their product I'll call them. They don't need to call me. That and it's no one's business what's in my house or pockets.
Old 03-16-2013, 17:10   #7
dkf

I do not have a home phone. Cell is on the do not call list.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 22:41   #8
FishyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
Last weekend we stopped at Shoot Straight to see about a belt holster for my P938 and they actually had about 10 AR's on the wall at normal MSRP. A month ago you couldn't find a dust print of one. No AK's yet. WM had 12g and some 270, .308 but no handgun or 7.62, 5.56 ammo. I think the frenzy has peaked and those who paid a ransom for their rifle are going to be a little grumpy in a few months. The AWB stands a 2% chance at this point. Most Democrats remember 1996.
The AWB is down to about a 1% chance at this point. That could change if there's another major tragedy this spring.

There's a couple rifles I have my eyes on when prices retreat. I'm one of the guys who sold my AR-10, AR-15, and SKS long before this winter.
FishyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 23:14   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Quote from the article..

I have learned there is little scientific value in any poll take by a college or media outlet, especially the Univ of Obama or the CommunistNewsNetwork. How does said poll deal with the 500,000 new gun owners since the Nov election? Yeah, all smoke & mirrors by the media left.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-16-2013 at 23:16..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 23:33   #10
dkf

Am I the only one that is getting tired of reading these articles and constantly seeing the term "assault rifles" describing AR15s? Outside of LE, Military and class III dealers nobody is legally owning an assault rifle made after 1986. I sure as hell do not own one.(wish I did)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:05   #11
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Am I the only one that is getting tired of reading these articles and constantly seeing the term "assault rifles" describing AR15s? Outside of LE, Military and class III dealers nobody is legally owning an assault rifle made after 1986. I sure as hell do not own one.(wish I did)
A little reading on the subject to clarify.

http://www.gunbanfacts.com/Get_the_F..._reverses.aspx

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ising-details/
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17   #12
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Quote from the article..

Yeah and also hand over you SSN while we are at it. Lol. In 73' gun owners weren't being persecuted and held accountable for malicious crimes made by gutless lunatics who got ahold of a gun in an illegal manner. So back then there was no qualms to proudly saying you are a gun owner. Now we walk on egg shells and almost feel outcasted by liberal America for taking part in our 2nd amendment rights.

NRA Member - The fight is more crucial now than ever! Join the fight!
FLGlocker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:30   #13
SevenSixtyTwo

It goes back to before '73.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54   #14
KML

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Just to clear up a little bit .I do amd so do many others own "assault rifles",submachine guns,belt fed machine guns,cannons,M-203 40mm launchers and more legally.The Hughes amendment of 1986 only banned the new manufacture of machine guns not the ownership of them.Many states allow people to own class III weapons.
KML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 21:29   #15
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KML View Post
Just to clear up a little bit .I do amd so do many others own "assault rifles",submachine guns,belt fed machine guns,cannons,M-203 40mm launchers and more legally.The Hughes amendment of 1986 only banned the new manufacture of machine guns not the ownership of them.Many states allow people to own class III weapons.
Are any of the ones you own made after 86? I thought for a "civilian" to own an "assault rifle" it had to be made prior to 86' and go through the NFA process.

The price of a select fire say M16 that I could legally own is well out of my price range to spend on a gun. Where as I can afford $1500-$2000 for an AR15. Thus my comment on how I wish I could own one.

My point was that the media is calling an AR-15 something it is not and acting like you can just walk down to the local gun shop and walk out with an "assault rifle". Then there is the made up term "assault weapon" which the AR15 is also described as by the media.

Last edited by dkf; 03-17-2013 at 21:43..
Old 03-18-2013, 17:13   #16
SCmasterblaster

I am so glad that I reload and cast my own bullets. Primers are getting hard to find, though.