SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 13:15   #61
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
The best choice for YOU is what YOU are most proficient with, but yes, all other factors being equal, a G17 is a far better weapon than a 686 and an 870 is inferior to the AR-15 for defense. If you choose them because YOU are better with them, respectively, that is a good and rational choice. If you choose an inferior weapon, especially one with which you are less proficient, simply because you're worried about what a jury might think, you are a fool.

For the short bus crowd who may not necessarily understand why short barrel revolvers and pump shotguns suck:

Short handguns in general are difficult to shoot well because of the short sight radius. A heavy DA trigger makes this more difficult. Low capacity compounds the problem further. Don't get me wrong, I often carry a 638, but it's a difficult gun to shoot well, with severe limitations.

Pump shotguns can, and often are, short stroked. If you don't believe me, attend a 3 gun match some day. Stress dramatically increases the likelihood of that. Again, low capacity is a problem. Heavy recoil makes engaging multiple targets or follow up shots much slower. Again, I own a Mossberg 500A and never camp around bears without it but it is inferior in most respects to the short barreled, suppressed AR that is my primary home defense gun.
Andrew- I'm not smart enough or skilled enough to refute your points, and I haven't thought about "short stroking" a pump.

I've always believed that I'm more likely to hit a moving target with a short-barrel shotgun, even at very close range in one's home. The shotgun does have lots of punch, and the intimidation factor is considerable.

I would agree that a Glock is preferable for HD, although I've shot 357s effectively for a long time. To be clear, I've never fired any gun in an actual SD situation.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:34   #62
Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Believe what you wish.
My comments had nothing to do with belief, just published data, and how that data could be used to one's advantage for defense. I do choose to believe that factual data from sources sold as disinterested sources can be skillfully crafted in one's favor. Little to do with the 'buts' and the 'whys' and the 'whole story', everything to do with swaying opinion.

For my defense, the 'facts' (as I choose to select and present them) would show 10mm is only moderately more powerful, in common loads including handloads, than what is probably among the top 3 most prevalent cartridges in use by law enforcement of all kinds. That's what published data says, without my altering or filtering it.

I'd try to preempt any anticipated counterattack that shows the 'edge cases' where it is significantly more powerful, by showing that this could also be the case for any other arbitrarily chosen pair of cartridges--where one is factory, say, and the other is loaded to well over maximum recommended.

Just as is the case currently with our politicians leveraging the court of public opinion, facts are exactly what you choose them to be, and can be made completely irrelevant and rather easily brushed aside. I wouldn't want my defense to depend on them alone, but I think sprinkling a few here and there is incredibly effective with other audiences--I'd expect similar results with juries.

I would also expect that people of modest means such as myself have jack squat to say about how their defenses are conducted, and I would be astounded if either my considerable opinion or superior intellect were consulted at all during the entire course of the process.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 03-18-2013 at 15:43..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 22:51   #63
Wolf Spyder
Gun Activist

Send a message via AIM to Wolf Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepiot View Post

David killed Goliath wit a rock, was it to over powered? IDK, was it politically correct, IDK? Am I a bad speller, heck ya.
To be fair, David only knocked Goliath down with the smooth stone from his sling. I think what killed Goliath is when David took Goliath's great sword and used it to chop off Goliath's head. I'm just say'n...

"Only large manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Wolf Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 23:25   #64
marcoh
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Understood. The point is, He is not a lawyer. And no one has gone after him for giving legal advices, does not mean he is qualified to do so.
I follow Mas closely on the GATE Self-defense forum, and he is very scrupulous about not dispensing legal advice. He shares his experiences in court as an expert witness, but he is very careful to explain one should always consult with an attorney for advice on specific cases in specific juris dictions.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:59   #65
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoh View Post
I follow Mas closely on the GATE Self-defense forum, and he is very scrupulous about not dispensing legal advice. He shares his experiences in court as an expert witness, but he is very careful to explain one should always consult with an attorney for advice on specific cases in specific juris dictions.
The issue is about PEOPLE taking Mas' comment as legal advice. It's not about Mas and his ability to shape words. Those are two different issues.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 23:31   #66
blastfact

Look,,, It does not matter what we carry or shoot. When we step up to take the shot we best make the shot. And have a justified shoot!

The 10mm isn't some insane beast! With that said I never load my G20 with 200gn plus ammo for HD or SD. In the winter months it's 180gn xtp's and summer it's 155gn xtp's. Always my reloads. And all at book max or above. But remember I live in the free state of Okiehoma. We have it very good here over all.

But taking out a innocent that's very very bad! Be it a .22 Short or a .50 BMG. There is a lot of responsibility when it comes to taking and making the shot.

I had a nightmare last night. And I don't dream much. Much less have disturbing dreams. Two men had my oldest daughter. One with a pistol of some sort, one with a blade. Blade man drew blood and I shot. My weapon was a CZ-52. And I shoot mine very well. The CZ-52 was loaded with a surplus fmj round which it never is loaded with in real life. I jumped left them right and shot. Got both of them but also nicked my daughter and I saw the glass break in my neighbors bed room window. I woke yelling at that point and woke the wife up. As I walked out the door to go to work this morning the neighbor in my dream that took a bullet in his bedroom window pulled up to make a right at the stop sign at the corner of my home and said " good morning Jeff "

Moral,,, if you have to take the shot. Don't do it with a 7.62 x 25 FMJ. " NO " you are responsible for the shot! If your in a small Okie town that is part of a free state. You may be ok. But it you live in a **** hole state, may God Bless You and the truth be known.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, g29