SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 13:21   #1
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

I Am Not a "Sheepdog"

I saw this video posted on another forum. What do you folks think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AldptFMs2AM
Old 03-18-2013, 13:35   #2
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
I saw this video posted on another forum. What do you folks think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AldptFMs2AM

I'm not either. I have no duty or obligation to protect anyone outside of my family. Why open myself to personal and financial harm for someone else who won't take their personal defense seriously and they would most likely not pee in my ear if my head was on fire if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 03-18-2013, 13:38   #3
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

I agree with his prose. Makes perfect sense and pretty much my stance as well.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:39   #4
mustang6112
Watching

he makes some valid points, but he could have done it in about 2 minutes vice the seven+ that he blathered on...

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:42   #5
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Sounds likes he's trying to justify his stance to himself. Sad way to go through life.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:43   #6
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6112 View Post
he makes some valid points, but he could have done it in about 2 minutes vice the seven+ that he blathered on...
Yes, that is very true; his video could have been shorter.

I too believe that he makes some valid points and I find it interesting that, on the other forum where this was posted, many people responding called him a coward for choosing not to protect others.

I don't know, I just thought that is would be interesting to see what the good folks of GT had to say about the video...
Old 03-18-2013, 13:45   #7
Stock45

I always thought the sheepdog thing was cheesy, and wondered if the guys that posted about it had just finished a 3hr session of COD on the XBox.
Stock45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:48   #8
ChiefWPD

The YouTube video is a well reasoned discussion on the practical aspects of a civilian responding to a possible shots-fired situation.

I believe that person to be correct in his assessment of the dangers of becoming involved in a stranger on stranger shooting.
Old 03-18-2013, 13:49   #9
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock45 View Post
I always thought the sheepdog thing was cheesy, and wondered if the guys that posted about it had just finished a 3hr session of COD on the XBox.
Nope, I prefer NHL12...

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:19   #10
eagle359

The courts have ruled many times that not even the police have the duty to protect you. I have read this guys blog and he seems to have his head screwed on pretty straight.
Old 03-18-2013, 15:20   #11
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock45 View Post
The sheepdog thing isn't "cheesy", it's childish. It's desperately seeking admiration.

He is right about 'not knowing what is going on'. A mass shooting in a mall is one thing. Intervening in a situation in a parking lot at Wal Mart is another. As soon as a stranger steps in, it will turn out to be a domestic violence situation, which is hard enough on cops, and both parties will turn on the "Sheepdog".

In our HCP class, the example of stepping into a gunfight was demonstrated, and the results were that you don't know who is who, or what is what, and Bubba gets a new roommate. It's best to mind your own business.

I would try to act to stop an obvious abduction\kidnapping of a child or female, but I don't go out looking to be Matt Dillon. But hey, if others want to take the risks to try and be a hero, more power to them.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:23   #12
RonS

I once was a sheepdog, for about 4 years. I got tired of herding sheep and seeing the same drunk/stoned coyotes every Saturday night so I did something else with my life, something that pays better and doesn't leave me disgusted with the stupidity of sheep.
Old 03-18-2013, 15:25   #13
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

The "Sheepdog" analogy is interesting in that sheepdogs don't defend other people's flocks. They look out for their own flock first and foremost.

I view myself as a "sheepdog" in this respect. I protect my own family first, foremost and always.

Will I help another person if the situation permits? YES. Will I do so if it means placing a member of my family in harm's way, or leaving them unprotected while I go off chasing danger in an uncertain and dangerous situation? NO.

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast

Last edited by tsmo1066; 03-18-2013 at 15:27..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:27   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'm not a sheepdog. I'm a lion!!! Roarrrr!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 15:33   #15
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

More like a lesbian cougar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Short Cut; 03-18-2013 at 15:33..
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:34   #16
hogfish
Seor Member

He sounds like he has chosen not to interfere in any situation involving firearms, unless to defend himself and/or his. He also talks about different situations in which he sort of hints that he might interfere, but he's not clear about it. His choice, whatever it is. I thank him for his military service.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:38   #17
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

I'm not going to arbitrarily draw lines on what I will and won't do. It depends on the situation. I'm not going out of my way to be a hero, but like Rooster said, you see a kid being abducted or molested, a guy starts hacking people with a machete in the grocery isle your in.... It's stuff like that which prevents me from saying I wouldn't ever help others.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 16:02   #18
packeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
I'm not going to arbitrarily draw lines on what I will and won't do. It depends on the situation. I'm not going out of my way to be a hero, but like Rooster said, you see a kid being abducted or molested, a guy starts hacking people with a machete in the grocery isle your in.... It's stuff like that which prevents me from saying I wouldn't ever help others.
Exactly, it needs to be cut and dry before I'd take action. There are supposed to be legal protections if you do shoot in defence of another, but I do t trust them.
packeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 16:17   #19
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Good overall attitude, but, sometimes, just plain good old fashioned human decency can force you into action. You might not want to get involved; I might not want to get involved, either; but there are times when stepping in is just the right thing to do. Sometimes ya just got 'a call um like you see um, and hope for the best.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 16:28   #20
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

The only thing that word brings to mind is nuttinfancy, god help us.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccw, sheepdog