Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2013, 14:22   #1
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Living South-east of San Antonio ?

My search for employment continues, and I've just applied to two exciting(for me) jobs down there.

You may have caught my last post of Texas, which was slightly on the negative side, but that was really half in jest, as I know Texans are proud of their state. I'm just not a city fan, so I didn't enjoy the hubbub of Houston.

So, You like San Antonio?? Any big in and outs to know about?

..Hey.. Rabbi.. Don't you live there?

I haven't forsaken my LA GTers... that's still my first choice, but I'm not finding any really good employment possibilities there right now.

I've decided come may when my lease ends, I will be leaving Pennsylvania job or no job!
So I need to pick a town.. until now I was just going to find a job and housing afterwards, if I don't find a job I'm looking for I may have the option to move to a place a like, snag a crappy walmart greeter-esk job, and seek employment afterwards.
Am I an idiot to do that? Probably.. but my gills are pale and dry and the Hyponatremia is crippling.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 15:15   #2
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

San Antonio has two major loops around the city. Everything spokes off from there. The River Walk is nice. Sea World is okay. There are some nice spots in suburbia and some holes. The times I spent back there in late 90's up to about 2003 were pleasant visists.

We oftend referred to anything south of San Antonio as the "Northern occupied Territory of Mexico."
Old 03-17-2013, 16:21   #3
blackjack

Just in case you didn't already know, you are headed into part of the Eagle Ford shale oil play so jobs might be plentiful but housing might be your larger hurdle. Just an FYI, I have no direct experience but have read plenty on the situation there. Forewarned is forearmed...
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 16:45   #4
samuse

Aren't they doin' a bunch of drilling in PA?

Do you have any skills that are relevant to the oil field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 16:47   #5
unit1069

If you want to live in a nice, semi-suburban city within driving distance to San Antonia take a good drive around Kerrville.
Old 03-17-2013, 18:15   #6
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

What do you actually want to know?

San Antonio has a pretty laid back feel.

....and the economy is off the hook AND things are still pretty cheap here. Major biotech, medicine, military and oil/gas, car production, insurance (we are really diverse but will take a hit with the wars slowing down, this town hinges on the military)

Very uneducated population....but an aweful lot of Universities (go figure)
There is only one culture here....all things Hispanic. They are the majority and dominate most everything...and it works pretty well. Food sucks unless you want Mexican (best in the world) It is easy to live very well here. Not much night life, not much trendy stuff (but they are both here) Fairly tolerant population. Fairly safe city.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 18:18   #7
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
If you want to live in a nice, semi-suburban city within driving distance to San Antonia take a good drive around Kerrville.
The Kerrville area (and most of the hill country) is magical....but the "boom" isnt out that way. The Hill Country is where the "already has money" goes. The "Getting money" goes the other direction (towards the Eagle Ford)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 03-17-2013, 18:33   #8
riddler

Would not want to live in the Southeast side of town. There are a lot of housing complexes in and around Roland Avenue/SS White and crime numbers there are higher compared to the Northern side of town.
riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 19:20   #9
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler View Post
Would not want to live in the Southeast side of town. There are a lot of housing complexes in and around Roland Avenue/SS White and crime numbers there are higher compared to the Northern side of town.
This is very true.

....but it gets fairly nice again as you get out past China Grove (for those that dont know, yes, this is the China Grove of the Doobie Brother song)...all the way to the Eagle Ford. Wilson County and beyond is generally pretty good country living.

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-17-2013 at 19:21..
Old 03-17-2013, 23:10   #10
jp3975

San Antonio is pretty special imo. I like it quite a bit. Probably my favorite Texas city and ive only managed to make it that way once.

Another nice thing is that its a reasonable distance to other cities. Like Austin and Corpus Christi.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 18:39   #11
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Well, I dropped this thread like it was hot!

Where were we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
San Antonio has two major loops around the city. Everything spokes off from there. The River Walk is nice. Sea World is okay. There are some nice spots in suburbia and some holes. The times I spent back there in late 90's up to about 2003 were pleasant visists.

We oftend referred to anything south of San Antonio as the "Northern occupied Territory of Mexico."
Had no idea there was a sea world there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Aren't they doin' a bunch of drilling in PA?

Do you have any skills that are relevant to the oil field?
They are. I don't.

I don't have the slightest bit of experience in the industry( huge setback!)
Graduated with a BS in Marketing, and just got certified as a pipeline weld inspector this past month.

I have no contacts in the industry, so breaking into this is going to be just about as hard here as there, and I'd rather be there.

I hate to walk away from this "boom" here in PA, but I want to move south, and I'm at the best point yet in life to make the jump south. ( Doesn't get much better than single and freshly graduated)

I had thought about holding out for another year here, if I could get a job for experience, some of the bigger companies might be interested in me down south.. But no luck as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
What do you actually want to know?

San Antonio has a pretty laid back feel.

....and the economy is off the hook AND things are still pretty cheap here. Major biotech, medicine, military and oil/gas, car production, insurance (we are really diverse but will take a hit with the wars slowing down, this town hinges on the military)

Very uneducated population....but an aweful lot of Universities (go figure)
There is only one culture here....all things Hispanic. They are the majority and dominate most everything...and it works pretty well. Food sucks unless you want Mexican (best in the world) It is easy to live very well here. Not much night life, not much trendy stuff (but they are both here) Fairly tolerant population. Fairly safe city.
Don't even know what to ask, so that was a great overview.

I guess having a college degree in a relatively uneducated place can't be a bad thing.

I wonder how the culture would be for a northerner.. Never really experienced authentic Mexican culture.

I knew as you get closer to the boarder it gets "more Mexican", but didn't know it was that Mexican. I have no problem eating Mexican food in high quantities.
Never did get why people snicker after talking about eating Mexican.. . my stomach can take anything I guess.

How are the beaches?( I guess that would be Corpus Christi) Are you aware of what kind of saltwater actives are big along the coast? ( Fishing charters, scuba, etc) While cruising the spearboard forums I hear very little about spearfishing in Texas( a big interest of mine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
San Antonio is pretty special imo. I like it quite a bit. Probably my favorite Texas city and ive only managed to make it that way once.

Another nice thing is that its a reasonable distance to other cities. Like Austin and Corpus Christi.
Cool!

Old 03-22-2013, 19:15   #12
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Well, I dropped this thread like it was hot!

Where were we?

Had no idea there was a sea world there.

They are. I don't.

I don't have the slightest bit of experience in the industry( huge setback!)
Graduated with a BS in Marketing, and just got certified as a pipeline weld inspector this past month.

I have no contacts in the industry, so breaking into this is going to be just about as hard here as there, and I'd rather be there.

I hate to walk away from this "boom" here in PA, but I want to move south, and I'm at the best point yet in life to make the jump south. ( Doesn't get much better than single and freshly graduated)

I had thought about holding out for another year here, if I could get a job for experience, some of the bigger companies might be interested in me down south.. But no luck as of yet.

Don't even know what to ask, so that was a great overview.

I guess having a college degree in a relatively uneducated place can't be a bad thing.

I wonder how the culture would be for a northerner.. Never really experienced authentic Mexican culture.

I knew as you get closer to the boarder it gets "more Mexican", but didn't know it was that Mexican. I have no problem eating Mexican food in high quantities.
Never did get why people snicker after talking about eating Mexican.. . my stomach can take anything I guess.

How are the beaches?( I guess that would be Corpus Christi) Are you aware of what kind of saltwater actives are big along the coast? ( Fishing charters, scuba, etc) While cruising the spearboard forums I hear very little about spearfishing in Texas( a big interest of mine).

Cool!
...Oh, I wouldnt call it "authentic Mexican.." Just everyone here is of hispanic origins.

The beaches...well, there is sand and there is water. It is OK I guess and it is what we have but the Gulf of Mexico is pretty second rate next to much of the West and East coasts. The water is rather dirty, you cant see anything in it to spear fish.

I have seen the world and lived in other places...and I like it here. It isnt for everyone.

Again, if you are white, you are going to be the minority.

It is pretty slow living.

The only people here who think the traffic is bad have never seen bad traffic (the traffic here is not bad at all)

People dont make much money BUT things are cheap.

It is a military town. A lot of people dont really know what it is like to be around the military culture. Some dont like it. For some men, it is a bit intimidating.

Things are getting more expensive here.

There is a very "redneck" culture among the working class white folks (it actually overlaps somewhat with a lot of working class Hispanics as they have rural traditions as well, I.E. Caballero) If you have never spent much time around redneck or caballero culture, you may not like it.

People are not very educated. (you will have a leg up) but that also means there is not a lot of culture here (go to Austin if you want that) While you can find a little bit of everything, the culture here has two speeds....Hispanic and 30K a year millionairs in track housing new areas and their dork wannabe yuppie bars.

Plenty of jobs

People are not fit here. People are fat here. (San Antonio is often ranked as one of the fattest cities and it is obviously true) Everyone is fat here. They come out of the womb fat and yes, it is mostly a Hispanic thing.

The single scene sucks. Hispanic people tend to marry young and to each other.

If you are six foot or better you will feel like a giant most everywhere you go. (Mexicans are short) I like going to the real Mexican flea markets, where I am often one of the only white people. I feel like godzilla walking around and I am a tad over 6'1.

There is some liberalism here but it aint yankee liberalism.

People say that some of the worst drivers are here. Maybe...and a lot of people say that. It may be true, I find idiots everywhere.

Hispanic people are very religious (again, I keep saying stuff like this, understand I am speaking in broad terms) In general, Catholic. I dont have a problem with this...but if you are not used to their version of being very religious, it might be real odd to outsiders.

There are no famous people here and few very wealthy people. We have a society scene but it is populated by Military brass and the handful of famous and wealthy. Most of the wealthiest people are actually Mexicans, from Mexico.

Music here is Tejano, county and rock. I am pretty sure that the radio station with the highest ratings in town is the AM talk radio station (seriously) That is about it. There is very little "hip hop" as we have a very small black population.

It is hot beyond anything a yankee can fathom. I mean that. It is hot...always hot. It was 96 the other day...and still winter. It is also humid a lot. We can be at a fairly high humidity and over 100 for months on end. We dont have winter, we have a few cold nights. If it gets into the 20's for a single night, we think that is very cold. It snows (dusts) about once a decade and lasts through the next day.

We have water problems. (we have to ration it most every summer)

Your AC bill will be shockingly high. We run AC 12 months a year and for about 8 months, 24 hours a day.

All outdoor activities are year round...which is awesome.

We have no sporting teams except the Spurs...and this town is like a cult when it comes to the Spurs.

High School football is life.

The public schools are lacking unless you can afford to live in the "rich" areas.

The "Rich" areas are silly cheap for "rich" areas. You can move into the most exclusive neighborhoods in town for 500K....but that is a lot of money here.

We have a lot of TV and Radio ads in Spanish...even on networks. The Spanish language is a way of life here.

We have gangs here. Bad, real, scary gangs. Almost all Hispanic in nature, but their activities are pretty isolated to certain areas. With a few exceptions, many of the "bad" areas here are livable.

There is plenty more (and I really have not run down much of the amazing stuff) but I am getting bored for now.

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-22-2013 at 19:21..
Old 03-22-2013, 19:27   #13
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

There is a poultry plant that I have been to a couple of times in Nixon, TX.

Hope this helps.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 20:00   #14
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
There is a poultry plant that I have been to a couple of times in Nixon, TX.

Hope this helps.

Did they pay you in change?

Old 03-22-2013, 20:05   #15
Tiro Fijo

I live south of the Rabbi and he has nailed it on the head except for one major point: the Latino attitude toward coruption. It's totally Third World in south TX. You will not like that part, I assure you. Here's an idea:

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=859676

It is unfathomable to the extent that south TX has been built on narco $$. The Local gov't is a joke. Too many Latinos want to live with a foot in either world.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 20:10   #16
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I live south of the Rabbi and he has nailed it on the head except for one major point: the Latino attitude toward coruption. It's totally Third World in south TX. You will not like that part, I assure you. Here's an idea:

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=859676

It is unfathomable to the extent that south TX has been built on narco $$. The Local gov't is a joke. Too many Latinos want to live with a foot in either world.
I agree with this.

Old 03-22-2013, 20:53   #17
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Thanks Rabbi!

What an insight.

The gang stuff kinda scares me. Never been around any real gang action. I wouldn't expect to cross paths though.. I try to spend as little time as possible in cities. Goliad was the town where one of my applications went.

I was happy to hear there weren't any huge sports teams. Never got sports. "... high school football"...

Getting used to AC is gonna be rough. I've lived with AC only one summer my whole life! I guess not paying a heating bill would help offset the cost.

Good fishing inshore is more than enough to make me happy. Seems just about anywhere in the GOM you gotta go ~10miles out to get blue water. It's no florida keys, but spearing out on the AL,LA,MS rigs is what all the "spearos" talk about.

Being white, I've felt like a minority lately, so that won't be to hard to get used to. but actually, I guess it might feel funny at first to honestly be a minority.

The slow living will be tough.. I'm used to keeping moving. I'm told by other northerners to slow down and relax often. ..although I could get used to taking a daily siesta. Is it that slow??

I hate traffic, but I think dealing with Pittsburgh, DC, Houston(relatives said it was bad, It seemed ok to me?), Italy, has shown me what it can be.

I think I have a feel for military towns.. I've spent time in VA beach, and its crawling with navy. They kinda roam the place like gangs.

Our rednecks pale in comparison to the rednecks I saw in Houston! ( well Brenham). Trucks are twice as big and high. I did notice how proud/almost arrogant they were!
I can't really blame them all.. my whole life Ive heard you have to be educated to make money, and that a simple college degree will launch one into financial success..meanwhile there are high school dropouts working on the pipelines making double,triple,..what my professors made.

I am 6' though. Being a giant would be fun.

You have me laughing at the fat comments! As much as I hope to find a nice southern woman, my general rule is she can't be bigger than me!

I have to say water rationing is one thing that just really bothers me. The idea anyway, never experienced it. Don't know if it's the little prepper inside of me wanting to have a readily available source of water or what, lol. I guess I just like to stay hydrated.

Old 03-22-2013, 21:02   #18
G36's Rule

There is some fine fishing on the Texas Gulf coast, don't let anyone tell you different. Spear fishing will take a bit more boat to get you to good water, but it is do-able.

You have to understand that there are a lot of rivers dumping sandy fresh water into the Gulf of Mexico along the Texas coast. That makes it look dirty, but the fish don't care!
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 21:05   #19
G36's Rule

You think being 6' would make you a giant?

That will put you firmly in the medium category.
Old 03-22-2013, 21:08   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
You think being 6' would make you a giant?

That will put you firmly in the medium category.
Not at all. Being 6 foot around mostly Mexicans...and you will be the tall guy.

Old 03-22-2013, 21:14   #21
G36's Rule

Meh, if the OP plans on getting into the Oil Patch he will be around more Rednecks than Mexicans/Hispanics...
Old 03-22-2013, 21:29   #22
Eric
Big Giant Head

I went to high school for a couple of years in San Antonio and I worked at a restaurant on the Riverwalk when I was in college there, after the Army. I love that city. I love the culture there and it is more than just Mex and Tex-Mex. the SA area has a large German cultural presence. It is a vibrant and diverse area. No town parties quite like San Antonio. Fiesta Week rocks. I have a lot of fond memories of that city. Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 21:37   #23
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Did they pay you in change?
No, they refused to pay.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 21:47   #24
Tiro Fijo

Another thing to look out for is inverse racism. It's rampant. You have to use that to your advantage. I can't explain it but it helps if you speak Spanish. I mean REAL Spanish and not the Tex-Mex "Spanglish" that is what is spoken here as a result of the pathetic education system. They have literally showered south TX with Fed monies and the ignorance is staggering if not mind numbing to say the least.

Be prepared to be angered. Why? You will see LOTS of Latinos with grocery carts filled to the gunwales with delicacies and pay for it with a SNAP card (Fed. Assistance) and then hop in a huge new SUV with Mexico plates. 99% of the people you open a door for will not say "thank you." They also drive like old people make love as well.

I often cringe when I think that this is the future of a Balkanized USA coming soon. Here it is like Colonial Africa after the Brits withdrew. Corruption, chaos & ignorance reign supreme and all subsidized by the American taxpayer.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 21:51   #25
BEER
bad example

if you want german culture you need to get closer to fredricksburg and new braunsfels.

and don't worry about your height, i am 5'10 and i can part the brown seas like moses with a good scowl most times. besides, if you're some giant white boy you might scare off the mamasitas and that is most definitely not something you want to do. trust me! them girls will straight up put a hurt on you in a good way both in bed and in the kitchen.

regardless of all that, once you get down here take a weekend and go toobin down the comal or the gaudalupe river. again, trust me.

if you get the chance avoid any major roads and take back ways just for the scenery.

don't be afraid to stop and eat at roadside food stands that look worse than most places you'd walk your dog, that's where the best food is, especially bbq.