Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 20:54   #21
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
My Glock 23 shoots POA=POI with 180gr. Most of my ammo is 180gr PDX1, but I also have some 155gr Gold Dots. Would my Glock shoot higher or lower than POA with the 155's?
I find the 180's shoot POA/POI in my guns,the 165's tend to shoot lower POI.
Shoot and see what your gun tells you. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:36   #22
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
gatorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,210
All these guys have it right. The 180 is almost always sub-sonic. Much more like a 45 in terms of recoil than 135 or 155 loads. 165 can be hot if loaded right (IMO) or very easy shooting if loaded closer to 180 gr. loads. FBI used to have Speer load a 165 GD and Lawman close to 180 velocities. When they changed, it was widely available and cheap. Perfect range ammo. 165 or 180 are good choices and quite different in terms of sound and recoil. 180's are the best for recoil shy and new shooters IMO. The 155 GD is a tough bullet and has a pretty good 'kick' to it but I like it a lot also. For max expansion with minimal recoil; HST 180 can't be beat.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:22   #23
glock031
Senior Member
 
glock031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 620
Didn't LE stop using 155gr a few yrears back claiming excessive wear?
__________________
22lr -9x19 -357sig -40sw -22wmr -5.56/223 -12ga
glock031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41   #24
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooffeyguy View Post
And a 155 @ 1200fps wont?


Personally in the 20+ years of shooting .40 I prefer a 155 or 165 over anything else
Gold dot 155 with 1200 fps and almost 500 ft lbs. Seems about as ideal as possible. And enough penetration being its bonded.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06   #25
9mm +p+
Senior Member
 
9mm +p+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KS
Posts: 2,430
In my 23 I run 180 HST's, I find the recoil better than 165's. In my 229 I run 165 GD's, the ergo's of the SIG make it much more comfortable with the higher velocity load.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 13:54   #26
clarkz71
Senior Member
 
clarkz71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
155/165. Best of all worlds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooffeyguy View Post
And a 155 @ 1200fps wont?


Personally in the 20+ years of shooting .40 I prefer a 155 or 165 over anything else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Gold dot 155 with 1200 fps and almost 500 ft lbs. Seems about as ideal as possible. And enough penetration being its bonded.
Massad Ayoob recommends 155gr and 165gr for .40

I use Remington Golden Saber 165gr myself.
I've researched many test's on you-tube and 180gr
is usually outperformed by the 2 lighter faster loads
which also have more muzzle & downrange energy.
__________________
Quote:
Real Men of Genius....Here's to you, Mister self proclaimed-genius-surrounded by idiots!
.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 03-15-2013 at 13:55..
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:05   #27
Chesafreak
Senior Member
 
Chesafreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,903
The one downside to using lighter than 180gr loads in a Glock is that the sights seem to be regulated to 180 grain loads. There have been occasions where the only target ammo I could get was 165gr and the POI was lower than POA. I personally don't like to use lighter loads because I like the fact that a 180 is going to go exactly where I place the front sight dot. Of course with ammo shortages these days I have bought some 155 and 165gr loads because thats all I could find at the time, but my EDC mags are loaded up with 180 and the lighter loads are backups. There may be better expanding loads, but I feel content using 180gr PDX1 as my primary choice. If I put it in the right spot its going to do it's job. I buy it in the 50 round plain white boxes.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 03-15-2013 at 14:06..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:51   #28
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
The one downside to using lighter than 180gr loads in a Glock is that the sights seem to be regulated to 180 grain loads. There have been occasions where the only target ammo I could get was 165gr and the POI was lower than POA. I personally don't like to use lighter loads because I like the fact that a 180 is going to go exactly where I place the front sight dot. Of course with ammo shortages these days I have bought some 155 and 165gr loads because thats all I could find at the time, but my EDC mags are loaded up with 180 and the lighter loads are backups. There may be better expanding loads, but I feel content using 180gr PDX1 as my primary choice. If I put it in the right spot its going to do it's job. I buy it in the 50 round plain white boxes.
If the sights are adjusted for 180gr loads then the 155 and 135 gr bullets will hit lower on the target.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 17:57   #29
gooffeyguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 538
Isn't that what he said?

Quote:
There have been occasions where the only target ammo I could get was 165gr and the POI was lower than POA.
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:29   #30
clarkz71
Senior Member
 
clarkz71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooffeyguy View Post
Isn't that what he said?
Well he doesn't say if he's using the stock plastic sights
or aftermarket.

My G23 has the same POI with all three grain .40 rounds.
This is at 25 feet. Keep in mind the recoil is more with the
lighter rounds. Could be causing the low POI for some shooters.

He also didn't mention the distance he's shooting at.
I can say in a SD situation it won't matter what grain
round you have as far as POI.
__________________
Quote:
Real Men of Genius....Here's to you, Mister self proclaimed-genius-surrounded by idiots!
.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 03-15-2013 at 18:34..
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:38   #31
Green Mountain Boy
Senior Member
 
Green Mountain Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Green Mountain State
Posts: 1,761
I didn't notice a difference in load POA vs POI until I went to the sig academy and shot 135 gr speer lawman frangible. My G 27 Gen 4 was way low with TFO sights. I usually run 180 or 165 and the difference there never jumped out at me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
"Whatever Tomorrow Brings I'll Be There With Open Arms and Open Eyes" Incubus

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:49   #32
Chesafreak
Senior Member
 
Chesafreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
Well he doesn't say if he's using the stock plastic sights
or aftermarket.

My G23 has the same POI with all three grain .40 rounds.
This is at 25 feet. Keep in mind the recoil is more with the
lighter rounds. Could be causing the low POI for some shooters.

He also didn't mention the distance he's shooting at.
I can say in a SD situation it won't matter what grain
round you have as far as POI.
I notice a difference anywhere between 15 and 25 feet. If I were shooting paper plate sized groups I wouldn't notice a difference either, but I'm shooting some pretty tight groups.

This is a 25' shot at that little silhouette that is at the top LH corner of a silhouette target. I was aiming at the 5. Sure, it was a lucky shot, but I was pretty close for 25'. I DO notice a difference in POA and POI with different grains.

Glock 23 Gen 3, 180gr WWB at 25'
Modifications are Tru-Glo TFO sights, GlockTriggers.com Guardian Trigger job. A 180gr round goes exactly where I put the front sight dot at 15' if I do my part. I use a 6 o'clock hold at 25', and have to aim a little high with 165gr. at either range.

Caliber Corner

Last edited by Chesafreak; 03-15-2013 at 18:58..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:03   #33
clarkz71
Senior Member
 
clarkz71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,608
When at the range I shoot 10 round groups at 25 feet
measuring 2" on average. I've been shooting over 25 years
so I'm a fairly good shot.
__________________
Quote:
Real Men of Genius....Here's to you, Mister self proclaimed-genius-surrounded by idiots!
.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:54   #34
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy10 View Post
I've recently switched from 9mm to 40 caliber with (hopefully) purchasing a Glock 23 gen 4 this Saturday. Like everyone else i've been having some issues with finding any 40 ammo let alone a certain grain.

But with that being said, I was wondering what grain would be best to shoot in a 40 caliber.

As always thanks for the help everyone.

When I carry a .40 (not very often) I use 180gr Ranger T or 180gr XTP's , or 180gr Gold Dot. All these get very good penetration...


Good luck
Stay safe.







CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 13:39   #35
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
When I carry a .40 (not very often) I use 180gr Ranger T or 180gr XTP's , or 180gr Gold Dot. All these get very good penetration...


Good luck
Stay safe.







CanyonMan
And penetration is an often overlooked factor in ammo selection. Especially in 9x19.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,020
311 Members
709 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31