SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2013, 18:41   #1
superspud
Ninja

my girlfriend and her pit bull....

im sure there have been many "pit bulls are the best dogs ever" or "pit bulls are terrible!!!" threads on here, but i figured i'd start one more.

the lady and I have been dating for over a year now and are very serious. have discussed marriage, have talked about kids eventually and all that junk. everytime we start discussing serious things there is one issue we can not get beyond, her pit bull...

a little background:

I am 29, graduated college in 2006, worked in vegas for a few years and have lived back in the houston area since 2009. have a good steady job, own a house (paid for) as well as my car. I have a dachshund, no kids and have never been married, or even considered it.

she is 22, just got her degree in nursing and started her job at the hospital. great girl, was a college cheer leader, awesome personality and we get along great.

the only issue we face and constantly argue about is her dog. we dont live together (she has a house her parents bought that she lived in during college) but plan to start a life together. I have been very clear about the fact that i will not have her dog living in my house since day one, we've kinda just swept it under the carpet each time. well now that she's working and we're more serious, its becoming more of an issue. I have very firm feelings about pit bulls, im sure there's great examples of how sweet they are, but i want nothing to do with them. I wont have one living in my house, i won't have it in my back yard and i certainly wouldnt raise kids around one, period.

she, refuses to get rid of it. she has now stated that she will NOT get rid of it...

what to do......? am i in the wrong here and just too stubborn to acknowledge it?

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?

Last edited by superspud; 03-15-2013 at 18:42..
superspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:44   #2
dosei

Yes, you're an *******. Break up.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:47   #3
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Yes, you're an *******. Break up.
^^^^^

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:47   #4
SIG-SOG

My wife and I would not have married if she wanted me to get rid of my dog. She will resent you forever if she were to get rid of it. My $.02.
SIG-SOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:48   #5
PaLEOjd

Pitbulls are nice dogs UNTIL they do what they are known to do, attack. Not worth risking having a pitbull arouns if you plan on having children.............Get rid of her and find another girlfriend who is serious about tha safety of children.
Old 03-15-2013, 18:48   #6
Clusterfrack

Is the dog well trained and socialized?
Old 03-15-2013, 18:49   #7
ithaca_deerslayer

You are wrong, she is right.

She deserves better, so break up with her now so she can move on and find a better guy.

I suspect pitbull is just the tip of the iceberg. What if she felt that way about guns? You'd think she was unreasonable.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 03-16-2013 at 06:25..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:50   #8
ezthumper

I am going to guess your out and out reluctance to even have the dog around is from either from what you have heard or experienced.

Not sure which
  • The first is curable and you are being stubborn and not living up to your signature.
  • The second...might be a bit tough, and no you are not being stubborn, just fear.
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:50   #9
Rotn1

Thanks for starting yet another Pit Bull thread. GNG doesn't have enough of these.
Assuming you are serious, here is simple advice you should expect from any dog owner/ lover..........................

LOVE ME! LOVE MY DOG

If you don't follow this simple rule expect to be kicked to the curb........ And rightfully so.
Rotn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:51   #10
1-2man
Part Time

How old is the pitbull? They don't live forever.
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:51   #11
frank4570
Feral human

Break up with her so that she can find a better guy.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:54   #12
tbone1970
walmart goat

how can you expect her to change her mind if you wont reconsider your own opinion?

you already know what to do, or else you wouldnt have posted here.
Old 03-15-2013, 18:58   #13
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

What are you willing to give up? Goes both ways and neither will like it!
Get over it or go your separate ways.
Old 03-15-2013, 19:02   #14
CaptCave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
Guns are nice UNTIL they do what they are known to do, attack. Not worth risking having a guns arouns if you plan on having children.............Get rid of her and find another girlfriend who is serious about tha safety of children.

Fixed it for you.
CaptCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:03   #15
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?
If the dog is more important to her than you are, it is good you learned this before marriage. There are plenty of great girls out there who would understand your strong feelings on this matter and let the dog go to a good home somewhere else. No matter what, people are more important than animals, and I love dogs.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:05   #16
superspud
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG-SOG View Post
My wife and I would not have married if she wanted me to get rid of my dog. She will resent you forever if she were to get rid of it. My $.02.
if it were literally any other dog breed in the world (almost) it wouldnt even be an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
Is the dog well trained and socialized?
its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezthumper View Post
I am going to guess your out and out reluctance to even have the dog around is from either from what you have heard or experienced.

Not sure which
  • The first is curable and you are being stubborn and not living up to your signature.
  • The second...might be a bit tough, and no you are not being stubborn, just fear.
judging from personal experience, not "internet" experience. my brother had one as have several friends. in each scenario "something" has gone wrong to where they attacked someone or something and of course it was written off as not the dogs fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
What are you willing to give up? Goes both ways and neither will like it!
Get over it or go your separate ways.
if the situation were reversed, i'd get rid of my dog in a heart beat. a dog over the girl i want to marry? easy decision.
Old 03-15-2013, 19:07   #17
ray9898

If my daughter ended up with someone so controlling I would suggest she move on because there is a good chance that behavior will escalate. It is a only a dog after all.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:07   #18
Resqu2

There are good and bad dogs in all breads, my only suggestion as a dog person is to get to know that particular dog. You may love it and you may not then you can figure out what to do at that point. Good luck, tough problem.
Old 03-15-2013, 19:07   #19
superspud
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
If my daughter ended up with someone so controlling I would suggest she move on because there is a good chance that behavior will escalate. It is a only a dog after all.
please tell me you're joking....
Old 03-15-2013, 19:08   #20
Cclass
CLM Number 16
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
You are wrong, she is right.

She deserves better, so break up with now so she can move on and find a better guy.

I suspect pitbull is just the tip of the iceberg. What if she felt that way about guns? You'd think she was unreasonable.

Nothing more useless then an unloaded gun----Tony Soprano
Cclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:10   #21
Bruce M

I would at least take a big step back. I would be afraid if we cannot come to terms over a dog there may well later be even bigger issues that would draw us apart. I have never been married; I live my married life vicariously through my married friends and acquaintances.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:11   #22
Captain Steinbrenner

How the dog gets along with your dog?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Captain Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:12   #23
true believer

Quote:
if it were literally any other dog breed in the world (almost) it wouldnt even be an issue...

it is!!

if the situation were reversed, i'd get rid of my dog in a heart beat. a dog over the girl i want to marry? easy decision.
get rid of your dog? if she ask you would you?
now they cant wait to get on the net and proudly display their ignorance over and over again"-
Dragoon44.
true believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:16   #24
Bruce M

Quote:

its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything...

I am far from an expert on dogs, but to me that seems like a clue.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:17   #25
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

There are good and bad dogs of all breeds, my pit is the most sweetest big baby I've ever seen. I wouldn't put much faith in watching the house while I'm gone. He is good at laying on the couch watching chick shows with the wife so I don't have to. For taking that bullet he is my best bud.