GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2013, 19:15   #1
BB62

NRA won't oppose background checks??? CALLS NEEDED !!

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...rds-fight?lite

"Senators negotiating a bill mandating background checks for all gun buyers are privately expecting the National Rifle Association not to fight the measure -- provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks, NBC News has learned..."

IF this is true, it's complete and utter B.S. I encourage every NRA member and gun owner to light up their switchboard.

I will do so tomorrow, and I suggest you do the same.
BB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:37   #2
MtCowboy

Don't trust the media that much

Just got an email from the NRA. They are wholly opposed to "criminalizing private transactions" and will oppose their bill.
MtCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:39   #3
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Here's the link to the NRA's response.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ne...heck-bill.aspx
Old 03-12-2013, 19:39   #4
cowboy1964

Are these the same moronic Senators that haven't passed a budget in four years, despite their obligation to do so?
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:46   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Opposition lying about "common sense", "most gun owners", "our poll of gun owners says",... and all the other lies they push, to create the veil of legitimacy they need to take away our rights. Nothing is real when created from smoke and mirrors.

Ninety eight percent of the adults in thiscountry are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy twopercent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them. Lily Tomlin

"More is revealed from a lie believed
than any truth that is conceived."
-Anonymous

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:30   #6
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

It really is amazing what a big stick the NRA swings.

I can only imagine if membership doubled we'd be able to buy full autos at Wal Mart for $350
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 21:22   #7
Syclone538

I haven't been to crazy about the NRA for as long as I can remember. When I read the title, I thought, "Well, that figures."

I was wrong. If they stay on the right track, I'll have to stop calling them Negotiating Rights Away. bo do lot nu cao cap quan lot nam cao cap do nhiet do tam cho be vest cong so nu ao so mi nu trang phuc cuoi dep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:52..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:08   #8
BB62

For those who linked to the NRA-ILA statement, thank you.

Here is my response:

(from the story) "If that requirement is met and key Republican negotiator Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma signs on, the powerful gun lobby has signaled to lawmakers that they would not actively oppose the bill -- and not count votes in favor of it as part of its highly influential NRA lawmaker ratings..." (my bold)

Think what you may, but I have enough direct and indirect experience with politicians and the NRA to know that the above can be, and quite possibly is true.

It's all about parsing things, and not denying/speaking to certain things.
BB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:24   #9
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
I haven't been to crazy about the NRA for as long as I can remember. When I read the title, I thought, "Well, that figures."

I was wrong. If they stay on the right track, I'll have to stop calling them Negotiating Rights Away.
For sure.

But then the question becomes, if not the NRA, who else is going to walk the halls of Congress with bags of money and influence members on your behalf?

Perfect it isn't but its the best you have available.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 23:48   #10
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

During jury selection the other week, I had a federal judge tell me the NRA is a civil rights organization, in the same list as NAACP, ACLU, and LULAC. Actually, NRA was third on the list.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 23:49   #11
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Yep, let's whine our rights away because the NRA sent you too much crap in the mail or dissed you in some other way.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50   #12
SJ 40

It came out of this bill Senator Leahy is pushing in the Senate.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1476133

Calls are needed,to your representatives and if you want Senator Leahy to hear about your displeasure call his Burlington Vt. office 802/863/2525. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08   #13
JFrame

Quote:
Statement from Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director, regarding inaccurate NBC story alleging that NRA won’t oppose background check bill
An inaccurate "news" story from NBC?

How can that be???

I have counted on NBC to feed me the straight dope ever since they broke that story decades ago about the propensity of GM trucks to become infernos during side collisions (with the help of flaming rockets during "reenactments")...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46   #14
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
During jury selection the other week, I had a federal judge tell me the NRA is a civil rights organization, in the same list as NAACP, ACLU, and LULAC. Actually, NRA was third on the list.
Someone told me the other day that the NRA is the largest civil rights organization in the world, with almost 5 million members.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48   #15
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
An inaccurate "news" story from NBC?

How can that be???

I have counted on NBC to feed me the straight dope ever since they broke that story decades ago about the propensity of GM trucks to become infernos during side collisions (with the help of flaming rockets during "reenactments")...

Weren't NBC also the ones who doctored the 911 call from the Trayon Martin case where Zimmerman said "Hes up to no good... he's black?"
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08   #16
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
Weren't NBC also the ones who doctored the 911 call from the Trayon Martin case where Zimmerman said "Hes up to no good... he's black?"

They were indeed!

I guess one could make a case for NBC being a reliable news medium, if one takes everything they say and just applies the OPPOSITE message to which they're stating.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12   #17
SJ 40

Seems as if Senator Leahy didn't care to represent Vermont's constutiuents or the Vermont and US Constitutions.

WASHINGTON — A divided Senate Judiciary Committee approved a Democratic bill Tuesday expanding required federal background checks to nearly all gun purchases, giving President Barack Obama an early victory on curbing gun violence in a fight that still faces difficult odds.
The vote was 10-8, with all Democrats supporting the measure and every Republican opposing it.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/v...und-check-bill
SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26   #18
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
Yep, let's whine our rights away because the NRA sent you too much crap in the mail or dissed you in some other way.
I don't exactly know their involvement in NFA, GCA, and FOPA, but I know they tried to stop Heller from happening, and when they couldn't stop it they tried to take it over.
bo do lot nu quan lot nam dep do nhiet do tam thoi trang cong so nu ao so mi cong so cho thue trang phuc da hoi
My mixed feelings about the NRA have nothing to do with too much mail.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:51..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote