Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2013, 21:37   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Who makes a good springfield musket replica?

Would like a replica of the spring fields used in the civil war, I love history and the rifle used by the forces of freedom to crush the south and liberate the slaves is full of history. Want something i could shoot and feel like i was beside chamberlain at little round top, who makes a good clone?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05   #2
Walter Bishop

The best mass produced reproduction is probably the Pedersoli. The Armi Sport version is less expensive but not as nice. Neither model is the original specs. They have thicker barrels for safety reasons.
Walter Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:37   #3
Fox
Varmit Control

Get the Dixie Gun Works printed catalog, it has a chapter in back with information about using muzzle loading firearms, there are instructions on making paper cartridges too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:40   #4
RonS

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx
Old 03-10-2013, 17:48   #5
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Would like a replica of the spring fields used in the civil war, I love history and the rifle used by the forces of freedom to crush the south and liberate the slaves is full of history. Want something i could shoot and feel like i was beside chamberlain at little round top, who makes a good clone?
Crush the south and liberate the slaves? You ever wonder if the civil war was about slavery why it took lincolnso long to sign the emancipation proclamation? Because it wasnt about slavery, not at the beginning.
Old 03-10-2013, 18:16   #6
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
I have an Armi Sport and like it very much. They say it's thre closest to the original of any that are being offered at this time. Fun to shoot, especially with people who never shot black powder. Big holes!

The Pedersoli's are nicer, but a lot of reenactors use the Armi.

I've never done any serious work with it yet. I have both a 69 and 31 cal round ball mold and intend on trying some buck and ball loads this summer.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Just so you know...

The South also deployed and made good use of the 1842 Springfield.

If you are looking for a rifled musket you are probably thinking of the .58 caliber 1861 Springfield.

Last edited by pennlineman; 03-10-2013 at 18:20..
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:28   #7
gnepig
Remember

The North didn't crush the South, took the North 4 years, 4 Generals and twice as many dead men to defeat the South... not exactly a crush. Was'nt really about slavery either, it was more about economics, you know like WMD's in Irak!?.. Yeah Right
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:00   #8
Ronaldo
Ancient Member

Slavery didn't figure into the War of Northern Aggression until later, when Lincoln felt the initiative fading. Ironically, the Confederacy had already made plans to phase out slavery once the conflict was over. The Emancipation Proclamation was created and signed grudgingly.

Many current books on the subject have already begun the gentle restructuring of the truth in favor of political correctness...

Ronaldo

'Blood and Chocolate - in the dark, you can't tell the difference'
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 21:09   #9
attrapereves

Interesting fact about the US Civil War. Although it was a very bloody war, most soldiers died from diseases spread by deplorable living conditions.