SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 14:30   #61
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
I've never seen a thread where so many people are miscommunictating in my life.

Also, for the record it's GUNSITE not gunsight. If you're going to be witty at least be correct.
Ah heck, I just wanted to post up some pics of one of my cool guns.

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:40   #62
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
I preferred the writings of Skeeter Skelton. Ol' Skeet could lay it on thick, then cut through it to get to the truth. A finer man there never was.
I remember Skeeter - what a great man!
Old 03-11-2013, 18:12   #63
WiskyT
Malcontent

This guy was too lazy to use a 1911.

Caliber Corner

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:41   #64
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
This guy was too lazy to use a 1911.

Caliber Corner

Maybe for the better since he killed a coworker in his office while goofing around:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_se.../rector_ja.xml
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:27   #65
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Maybe for the better since he killed a coworker in his office while goofing around:

Didn't know that. That does change things in terms of my opinion of him. Reading the story, he should have known better.

Old 03-11-2013, 20:06   #66
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I have a question.

Shotguns have safeties and rifles have safeties but when the topic of a safety on a handgun comes up it gets really controversial. Not just in terms of what you guys were saying about training large numbers of people, but the existence of a safety on a handgun in general seems to really bring out the fire in people on one side or the other.

How come?

Is it because revolvers don't have safeties and when the transition was made to autos it was viewed with the stinkeye?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-11-2013 at 20:07..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 20:17   #67
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I have a question.

Shotguns have safeties and rifles have safeties but when the topic of a safety on a handgun comes up it gets really controversial. Not just in terms of what you guys were saying about training large numbers of people, but the existence of a safety on a handgun in general seems to really bring out the fire in people on one side or the other.

How come?

Is it because revolvers don't have safeties and when the transition was made to autos it was viewed with the stinkeye?
Good question. IMO it has to do with the presentation. Long guns are rarely used in LE and when I have deployed one in the field, there was ample time to turn the safety off. Frankly, and it went against training, I didn't use the safety anyway. The gun is hot regardless, what makes it any safer just because the safety is on? So I'd charge the chamber, keep it in a safe direction, and when done, clear the chamber and put it back in the rack.

With a handgun, it is always ready. It is cold when it is in the holster and hot when out. Again, no advantage to a safety. Also, handguns are often deployed in an instant. That doesn't mean a safety can't be flicked off, but it means that a higher level of training is going to be needed and that just doesn't happen in most LE circles.

You can put in the time to be proficient with taking a gun off safe while seaking cover and presenting your gun and getting off a shot while someone is trying to kill you, but it's just isn't going to happen when you have guys spening less than 10 hours a year on the range.

Old 03-11-2013, 20:52   #68
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I have a question.

How come?

here, jump back in the time machine with me and travel back to the days of my youth when this was the most important issue in LE hand guns. I'll try to put it in a bit of perspective.

First of all, bear in mind that the first departments to adopt the semi-auto were definitely viewed with the stink-eye.

There just weren't many useful autos being made in the US. Very, very, few departments were going to take the heat over a single action being carried cocked and locked. Basically that left the S&W 39. in the late 60's that's what there was and it's big plus was that it had its roots in the requirements the Army put forward n the 50's for a 1911 replacement, both in caliber and with the safety.

The safety was a nice feature though and much was made bout Cops being shot with their own guns since it was a time before security holsters and the most popular holster among those who were free to choose was the breakfront with more emphasis on speed than security.

Now in those days expanding ammo sucked, sucked bad, it sucked leftover suck. the Hps had such a small cavity, so they would feed in the mil-surp guns that made up 90% of the 9mm market at that time, that the only way they could be counted on to expand is if they were fired at a 90 degree angle into a hard object, like a brick or steel plate. The other option was soft points, but the lead noses had to be hard enough not to lead-up feed ramps so....

So what you had was ten-year period of spotty results with low cap 9mms in the few departments that bought them, Pennsylvania SP liked the for penetration on cars.

"Hammer back" wasn't acceptable and there were no DAs in any caliber but 9mm until the Browning/Sig 220 showed up.

A guy named Lee Jurras came along and decided to start the "Super-Vel" to offer a better performing round.

In summary,
For a long time there were few guns (made in America which was critical in those days), that were suitable for LE and for those that were, the ammo sucked.

The infamous "Miami shoot-out" sped up a lot of developments considerably. but it took a change in attitudes about "Buy American", gun designs and ammo improvements for the ball to get rolling.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson

I should also add that the Army trials that led to the adoption of the aopened a lot of closed doors bout autos an European designs such as Sig

Last edited by countrygun; 03-11-2013 at 21:07..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 21:36   #69
dougader

Quote:
Didn't know that. That does change things in terms of my opinion of him. Reading the story, he should have known better.
I read the story in the link, but where did it say the name of the officer that pulled the trigger?

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 22:06   #70
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
I read the story in the link, but where did it say the name of the officer that pulled the trigger?

It doesn't. Just as the White House doesn't have Obama's name on the mailbox out front, i.e., it's common knowledge.

Old 03-11-2013, 22:12   #71
NMG26

Quote:
It doesn't.......................it's common knowledge.

Common to who?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 22:54   #72
FishyOne

<<Col. Cooper believed every cop should carry a cocked & locked Colt .45 ACP, with military FMJ.>>

230gr ball at 830fps out of a 5" barrel will still get most jobs done just fine.

High tech, costly ammo can do better but........
FishyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 00:10   #73
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Common to who?

To those who are smart enough to use Google.
Old 03-12-2013, 00:30   #74
dougader

Quote:
It doesn't. Just as the White House doesn't have Obama's name on the mailbox out front, i.e., it's common knowledge.

Well, you don't have to be such a horse's ass about it. It's not like you see this in print, or online everyday. I have never heard of it, and I've read a lot of gun stuff over the last 35 years or so.

Why would someone even think to "google" something like that?

But, I did like you suggested and looked it up. The 1st 5 threads I read were all about guys asking if it was true or conjecture.... and linking to the brief story you posted above.

Here's one sample:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-34879.html

Quote:
After reading the entire TFL thread there is no definitive cite that the Jordan incident occured.

After an extensive web search I could not find anything there either.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; 03-12-2013 at 00:33..
Old 03-12-2013, 00:47   #75
dougader

Third search, 12th thread, someone signing in as Pennie Rector:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=2384639

Quote:
Hello I am here to tell you that the story of Bill Jordan accidentally shooting a fellow Border Patrol officer is true. That man was my father, John A. Rector.
I was 13 years old and in the 8th grade, and that has been some 55 years ago, but my memory is very clear. According to the Coroner's inquest, this is the way it happened: Bill Jordan was showing a pistol, a 357 Magnum, to another man. They were in Bill's office at the headquarters of the San Diego Sector in San Ysidro, CA. The gun was unloaded initially, and Bill was demonstrating how he drew and fired. He then reloaded the gun and put it into a desk drawer.
The conversation continued, and forgetting he had loaded the gun he took it out of the drawer, aimed it at the wall and fired. My father was sitting at his desk on the other side of that wall. The bullet went through the wall and hit him in the head. He died about 3 hours later. There was no wrongful death suit, or anything like that. Bill was so upset that he had to be taken home under sedation and the next day I remember he and his wife coming to our house, and he sobbed as he told us how sorry he was. He and my Dad were friends.
I have often given my story as an example of how ANYONE can have an accident with a gun, no matter how expert you are with them.
My Dad did not see me complete my education, he was not there to walk me down the aisle when I married, nor did he see me graduate from college. He never knew that I had a successful career. I don't hate Bill Jordan, nor bear him any ill will. I expect he is gone from this earth now too.
I just wanted to set the record straight for those of you in this forum and elsewhere who think this might have been a false story.

Last edited by dougader; 03-12-2013 at 00:48..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01   #76
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
It doesn't. I googled it like you did for a while figuring it was an urban legend. I found a cut and paste of a Bart Skelton article where he maes reference to Jordan having a "tragic" accident and that this was the basis for Jordan taking gun safety so seriously. I also found the same post from Pennie Rector, and reference to an article by Mike Venturino.

While any of these could be false, I could post a fake article supposedly by Bart Skelton, taking all three of these together it sounds like a true story. At this point, I believe it. I also think if it wasn't true, with all the various threads about it on the the internets, someone prominent would have stepped forward to address it at this point. If it wasn't true, any one of the current gunwriters could dispel it in a short article.

We have a well-known gun writer in my club. I see him now and then. I probably won't remember to aks him the next time I see him, and he's not exactly a warm and cuddly guy, but I might get a chance to ask him about it.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:03   #77
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:

It's not common knowledge. I have been reading, shooting, discussing, loading, everything with guns for 30 years and never heard it before.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37   #78
SCmasterblaster

Quote:

This article names the dead officer, but does not name the shooter.
Old 03-12-2013, 17:08   #79
NMG26

Quote:
To those who are smart enough to use Google.

Google?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29   #80
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
It doesn't. I googled it like you did for a while figuring it was an urban legend. I found a cut and paste of a Bart Skelton article where he maes reference to Jordan having a "tragic" accident and that this was the basis for Jordan taking gun safety so seriously. I also found the same post from Pennie Rector, and reference to an article by Mike Venturino.

While any of these could be false, I could post a fake article supposedly by Bart Skelton, taking all three of these together it sounds like a true story. At this point, I believe it. I also think if it wasn't true, with all the various threads about it on the the internets, someone prominent would have stepped forward to address it at this point. If it wasn't true, any one of the current gunwriters could dispel it in a short article.

We have a well-known gun writer in my club. I see him now and then. I probably won't remember to aks him the next time I see him, and he's not exactly a warm and cuddly guy, but I might get a chance to ask him about it.
That sounds a bit like Massad Ayoob.