Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 19:44   #1
njl

930SPX sight-in procedure?

I've had a 28" 930 for a while. Recently, I've acquired the parts to turn it into a 930 SPX. What's the best way to get the sights adjusted? i.e. are there methods or shortcuts that can be used to avoid blasting through a bunch of slugs? Having mostly shot bird shot in the past, I only have 4 from a box of 5 rifled slugs. Normally, I'd just go to Walmart and pick up some more...but will they have any?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04   #2
frankr

When you say you turned it into an SPX did you add adjustable ghost ring sights? Or any type of rear adjustable sights?

Last edited by frankr; 03-09-2013 at 02:05..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57   #3
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
When you say you turned it into an SPX did you add adjustable ghost ring sights? Or any type of rear adjustable sights?
Yes. I got an SPX barrel, rear sight rail, and LPA rear ghost ring sight. When the mag extension arrives, AFAIK, my 930 will be indistinguishable from a factory produced 930 SPX.
Old 03-09-2013, 14:09   #4
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
Yes. I got an SPX barrel, rear sight rail, and LPA rear ghost ring sight. When the mag extension arrives, AFAIK, my 930 will be indistinguishable from a factory produced 930 SPX.
Cool, will as you probably know itís going to be tough to properly sight in your SPX with only four slugs. Normally one would shoot three shot groups starting at close range and working your way out. But I did it with my Benelli M2 Tactical with five. This is what I did. I put my Ghost ring rear sight in the neutral position, placed my target at 20 yards and using a rest to steady my shotgun I took the shot concentrating on trigger squeeze and breathing. When the shot goes off it should be a total surprise. If needed adjust the sight to your hit then I moved the target out to 40 yards repeating the process. I then moved to 60 and finally to 75 yards. It took me 5 slugs then I followed with another 5 when I was done I could cover the hole with a pie plate. The distance of 75 yards was all I needed, my Benelli is for home defense and most likely will only see 00 buckshot. Let me say you will love you SPX for home defense. I have always shot pump shotguns but after a shoulder injury I find that a semi auto works the best. And as far as reliability I have 650 shells through my Benelli without one malfunction. Iíve even shoot a number of low brass shells from the hip in an attempt to get a FTE or FTF did not happen. Best of luck and let me know how you make out. One more thing I have a shoulder stock for a Mossberg 930 SPX if you should ever need one.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Most shotguns will prefer a couple of slug loads considerably more than others. Mine really shoots Brenneke KO's compared to others I have tried.

The first step is to hang a large target with multiple bullseyes at 50 yds after going to the store and picking up a box of several different brands of slug. Shoot the different brands of slugs for groups. Take your time and really concentrate on getting the best possible groups, not easy with the bone jarring recoil of a 12g. For my shoulder's sake I only shot 3 shot groups with each slug, the semi-auto may dampen recoil enough to try for 5 shot groups which would be preferred. Dont be concerned with with point of aim point of impact at this point. After you are done you will probably notice one or two of the slugs shot considerably better groups than the others. Pick the one that shot the best group. If two shot similar groups pick the one that is cheapest.

Go back to the store and stock up, preferably from the same lot number. The next time you hit the range shoot a 5 shop group. Adjust the sights to zero the group. Now you are good to go. This is how I did it when I deer hunted with slugs. I still have about 10 boxes of slugs that are sighted in for my gun and shoot decent groups.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37   #6
Hedo1

I sighted mine at 50Y. I sued low recoil LE slugs. I shot 5 at 25Y from a rest and adjusted. Moved to 50Y and adjusted again. Then shot a mix of Low recoil and full power. It's not a bad shooter with those sights. Minute of pie plate no problem. I hold slightly higher at 100Y and it has no problem dropping them in.

After you do that make sure you test the pattern with Buck if you are going to shoot buck thru it also.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25   #7
Cole125
Silver Membership

The best way to go is use slugs to sight in your shotgun.

SGammo has Winchester 3 inch rifled slugs in stock at reasonable prices. They go fast so if you want some better jump on it)

250 round case(I just ordered one myself)
http://sgammo.com/product/12-gauge/2...per-x-ammo-x12

15 round pack
http://sgammo.com/product/12-gauge/1...fps-x123rs15vp

Midwayusa also has some slugs in stock

Last edited by Cole125; 03-10-2013 at 11:26..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:09   #8
DFin

Mossberg did not include instructions with my SPX advising that the front sight is adjustable too. You need a small allen wrench.

Last edited by DFin; 03-11-2013 at 15:10..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 20:39   #9
njl

I'd read about the front sight being elevation adjustable and verified I have a suitable hex key for it.

I went to WalMart today, hoping to get a few more boxes of slugs, and I've never seen them picked so clean.

Handgun ammo: 3 boxes of .380
Rifle ammo: a few boxes of .270
Shotgun ammo: largest shot they had for 12ga was #4 bird shot. They had a few boxes of 20ga sabot slugs and some .410.

That's it for ammo.
Old 03-17-2013, 18:35   #10
njl

I went to another WalMart today that had slightly more ammo than the other. I was permitted to buy 3 boxes, and they had one kind of 12ga slug, so I bought 3 of them.