GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:48   #21
frankr

Love all my firearms but there is something about 7 +1 rounds of 00 buck from my Benelli M2 Tactical semi auto that get's their attention.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25   #22
Fungunner

If uncle Joe is pushing for them, they'll probably be a required replacement for evil assault-type weapons. The provision to force you to turn in your AR or AK and receive a government approved, single-shot 410 as a replacement, will be buried deep within the 3000 page document. We'll have to pass it, to find out what's in it.

I have to wonder if Joe has stock in door manufacturers. Under his plan, there would certainly be a lot of replacements sold.

A co-worker once noted, there is something about being at someones door and hearing the sound of a round being racked up into a shotgun on the other side, that gets your attention.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Fungunner; 03-06-2013 at 04:30..
Fungunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54   #23
Mad Ryan

You can always put food on the table with a shotgun. Rifles... not so much.

Other than the stuff others have said, that should be a good reason to own one.

Unlike your .300 Winmag you can tailor the round to the prey. From small birds and critters to anything that walks the lower 48.

Everything likes to eat... Nothing likes to be dinner.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47   #24
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
You can always put food on the table with a shotgun. Rifles... not so much.
If you are talking about "sport" hunting that may be true, but in the SHTF/Survival scenario the shotgun is highly overrated.

Over 50% of the birds I have killed were seen, and could just as easily been shot, on the ground with a .22. The .22 is much more economical in terms of weight of the round VS capability. If it is a matter of feeding the family I tend not to be "sporting".

I think the shotgun is terrific in a couple of niche's but not as an all around gun. Other than one shot stopping power at close range, reduced ricochet pest control, and hitting clays or birds on the wing, there are better choices to the other range of jobs guns may be called to do.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:57   #25
droptrd

ditto, do you like shooting at stuff? AKA blowin stuff up? A 12ga is super fun for that. My microwave recently died. I took it out to the woods for a propper funeral. hit it with pistols and then the ARs. it wasnt til I pulled out the shotguns and some 3" buckshot that the fun began. the shotguns ripped that little Kenmore to pieces. There are plenty of uses for them besides hunting and defense. Listen to "buckshot" Biden. get a shotgun!

Last edited by droptrd; 03-06-2013 at 10:59..
droptrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01   #26
Mad Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
If you are talking about "sport" hunting that may be true, but in the SHTF/Survival scenario the shotgun is highly overrated.

Over 50% of the birds I have killed were seen, and could just as easily been shot, on the ground with a .22. The .22 is much more economical in terms of weight of the round VS capability. If it is a matter of feeding the family I tend not to be "sporting".

I think the shotgun is terrific in a couple of niche's but not as an all around gun. Other than one shot stopping power at close range, reduced ricochet pest control, and hitting clays or birds on the wing, there are better choices to the other range of jobs guns may be called to do.
If you're willing to eat anything, a shotgun will kill anything. That's more or less my attitude. You're right that for smaller game a .22 is more economical, but obviously, a shotgun allows you to more effectively defend yourself.

I was thinking in terms of our cabin... I can easily hunt ducks or black bear with one weapon.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19   #27
2wheelDuke

When it comes to shotguns, you either love them or you don't.

I happen to love them. I use the 870 at work, so I got an 870 for personal use, even though I prefer the Mossberg safety.

Mine came with a 28" vent rib barrel and a modified choke. I bought a full choke, and found that I can break clays on the trap range much better with the full choke. I haven't tried skeet yet, but I may need a more open choke for that.

In stock form, with the right shells and maybe the purchase of one or two more chokes, that gun is good to go for almost anything that walks or flies in N. America.

I bagged my first sow with a slug to the head.

I bought an 18" barrel for home use, and it takes maybe 30 seconds to swap the field barrel back on for a trip to the trap range or the woods. Regular range time is fun with the 18" barrel, especially if you can just plink on open land somewhere.

I don't necessarily recommend it, but you can see people doing all sorts of interesting stuff by modifying the cheap bulk pack ammo for shotguns by adding wax, replacing the shot, etc.

For about $500 you can have one of the most versatile weapons platforms available to you, nicely accessorized, and maybe even have some leftover for ammo. How can you beat that?

Of course you could spend more, or bargain hunt to get something nicer, say an old Wingmaster instead of an 870 express. I bought mine with the intention of slogging through the swamp and saw palmettos with it, so I didn't bother spending the money on nice wood and bluing.
2wheelDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24   #28
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
If you're willing to eat anything, a shotgun will kill anything. That's more or less my attitude. You're right that for smaller game a .22 is more economical, but obviously, a shotgun allows you to more effectively defend yourself.

I was thinking in terms of our cabin... I can easily hunt ducks or black bear with one weapon.
I use a Coach gun around here for "something rustling around out side at night" issues. One barrel with #6 in case its a raccoon the other barrel with a slug in case it's a bear. But most folks aren't faced with such problems.

I also have my bedside "Social" shotgun, in fact we are "shotgun heavy" around here, and I just bought another.

I just don't think they're everyone's answer to everything. If someone has to ask "Why do I need it, I've got other guns?" that IMO is a pretty good clue they probably don't "need" it.

Remember,

"There is more than one way to skin a cat, the cat just isn't thrilled with any of them"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 14:52   #29
Lt Scott 14

I live in a rural (farm) area in Indiana's corn belt. Every farmer has at least one or two shotguns, handguns, ARs and AKs.

My wife runs our tractor, armed. Why? We have idiots who think it is hunting season all year long! She usually has my retired Service Revolver(M10 4in 38 spec), and our Coach style 20ga w/ rabbit ears. Ever go against a blonde with a shotgun? Especially a SxS(double bbl). She has run off more than a few of the knucklehead hunters.

We allow hunting if they ask first. Don't knock on my door at 5:00am for a request.
Stop by before the season, show me an ID, and get a hunting license. Now you may hunt. If they show up with a shotgun, they can hunt.(legal to in Indiana). Show up with a Desert Eagle 50 cal, bye. (not for small game, or deer) Shotgun is safer for my house, and my neighbors houses. Don't discount the neighbors, they carry AKs/ARs on their tractors also. We all get along, well.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21   #30
rootbrain
Mayan Priest

VP Joe Biden says to.:eek:

Rootbrain

Last edited by rootbrain; 03-07-2013 at 10:22..
rootbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:36   #31
JackMac

one of the most effective man stoppers on the planet. Google how the Germans tried to get them banned in WWI via the Geneva Convention. They are great close quarters weapons. With the right load and under the right circumstances it will stop any man or animal in North America.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:04   #32
furioso2112

lots of fun for sport shooting, lots of uses for hunting and defense; look into different types - 9410 (lever-action .410, Winchester made them, lots for sale, and Marlin still makes them - can't shoot it without smiling); side by side, over under, 20g, 12g, I bet you'll get interested. Many are rather inexpensive, and have reasonable resale - try one, see what you think, sell if you don't like it.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:11   #33
ditto1958

Am looking at a Remington 870 with hardwood stock. Newb question: the barrel is really long. Are they easily interchangeable? Are the prices of shotgun barrels reasonable?
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:21   #34
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Am looking at a Remington 870 with hardwood stock. Newb question: the barrel is really long. Are they easily interchangeable? Are the prices of shotgun barrels reasonable?
Yes the barrels are easy to change and some are in-expensive to buy. Look at gunshows for replacement barrels at a cost savings over new. Also you can sometimes find a longer, ie 30" barrel cheap and have it cut/recrowned and new bead installed. YMMV. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote