Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2011, 20:51   #141
steelvipersedg
10mm Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach4047 View Post
165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"

1.02" expansion measurement. That is amazing. This round is a freak of nature.

Roach
that is the best performance I have ever seen out of any auto pistol. Does anyone know if outside testing ever colaborated these results..

Still they are awsome
steelvipersedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 00:16   #142
SolidBrass
Against Shiny

It doesn't say if those speeds are chono'd. I'm guessing that they were not and taken from the box. DT chrono videos on youtube show they are a good 10+% weaker the box lists. The gel depth is impressive for sure, I just wonder what they would do with velocity numbers that were truthful. (AKA Swamp Fox and Underwood)
Old 04-07-2012, 21:49   #143
Chris Miller

Very good info to have. Thanks a lot for taking the time and making this available to all of us out here! Very cool of you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Chris Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55   #144
Andrew Wiggin

I presume McNett has never bothered to respond to questions about the accuracy of his claims. This "data" would be really interesting if it were to be believed.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:03   #145
cookand
War Eagle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
I presume McNett has never bothered to respond to questions about the accuracy of his claims. This "data" would be really interesting if it were to be believed.
He won't address the ridiculous inaccuracies in his advertised velocities. Still wondering why this is push pinned...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43   #146
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark77418 View Post
These results are very impressive. The 200 grain XTP penetrated 19.5 inches. I think that is what I will use for carrying in the woods in my G20. Do you guys think that would be a good choice or do you think the 180 grain gold dot is better?
I use the 200 grain XTP with 13.0 grains of AA#9. Average velocity is 1113 with s=7.3. I gave trying to get to 1200fps for various reasons. Pressures were getting to the edge. If I need more power the 44 Mag is pressed into service.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50   #147
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
I chronoed on 25 Sept 2012 10 rounds from 13 May 2004, lot number, 000079, the 200grain XTP. I got an average for 10 rounds of 1163 fps with s= 16.53

Not 1250 but good enough for me. I suspect that getting 1250 out of the short Glock 20 barrell may be pushing pressures to the line. Next project is getting the 6 inch Barstow barrell.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38   #148
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator378 View Post
I chronoed on 25 Sept 2012 10 rounds from 13 May 2004, lot number, 000079, the 200grain XTP. I got an average for 10 rounds of 1163 fps with s= 16.53

Not 1250 but good enough for me. I suspect that getting 1250 out of the short Glock 20 barrell may be pushing pressures to the line. Next project is getting the 6 inch Barstow barrell.
Short?

That's a full size pistol.

What length barrel are they using for their numbers?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31   #149
Slateman

So is the OP still good? Or is it out of date?
Slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:18   #150
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I certainly wouldn't buy anything from DT and expect performance such as what was tested 7+ years ago.

But then gelatin results aren't the whole story anyway, even when they are currently relevant.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50   #151
Slateman

So no one has done any studies of the most recent stuff?
Slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:15   #152
ennis

double post

Don't believe everything that you think.

Last edited by ennis; 10-24-2012 at 16:17..
ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:23   #153
cadjak

Double Tap 200gr WFNGC and 230gr WFNGC
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

The 200gr were from lot #007400, the 230gr from lot #007383. I bought 3 boxes in 2011. I contacted Double Tap last week and they sent one free box of Nosler 200gr jhp (I requested a non-cast load). The email from Rhett McNett, simply said, "thanks for calling it to our attention..we'll send you a box of ammo for your inconvenience. The problem has been taken care of" I am a long time DT customer. This is the first time there has been a significant problem. As someone on the cast boolits forum said, "if something this obvious got past them, who knows what is happening with less obvious probs." (I'm paraphrasing).

BTW. this sort of casting phoobah is caused by casting in a cold mold. Someone else viewing the photos thought that the change of color midway down the case could be from putting the loaded rounds through a resizing die. I am very far from understanding the fine points of ammo loading so, I don't know. I do know that seeing these has me concerned about what I buy from Double Tap.

The replacement ammo (Nosler jhp) NOT look too good, unless the weird stuff inside the hollow point is actually Russian caviar. The 10 Ring

(The fuzzy yellow around the bullet is just some micro fiber cloth that I wrapped the cartridge to help hold it for the picture).

Last edited by cadjak; 11-01-2012 at 22:26..
cadjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:31   #154
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've never been a fan of Double Tap. Bought from them once, years ago. Never again.

Old 10-24-2012, 19:12   #155
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I have personally had good results with the component WFNGCs from DT. They have been consistently sized and uniform weight. The only knock I have seen is the occasional inconsistent lube on a few of the bullets where part was missing.

Obviously there is some inconsistent QC over there. How a bullet like that could pass through to the customer unnoticed is baffling to me. First, no one noticed during casting. Then nobody bothered to notice during loading into ammo, or afterwards during packaging? Wow.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 13:29   #156
Andrew Wiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I certainly wouldn't buy anything from DT and expect performance such as what was tested 7+ years ago.

But then gelatin results aren't the whole story anyway, even when they are currently relevant.
Calibrated gelatin is the only qualitative, empirical, and most importantly, standardized, measurement of terminal performance available.

I think Intercooler might have had some DT that he was planning to send for the next batch of tests, but that could be some time. He sent me a LOT of ammo to work through.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-27-2013, 22:10   #157
whenmonkeysfly
CLM Number 249
Charter Lifetime Member

That looks like some CRAP Ammo! Mike McNett's? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadjak View Post
Double Tap 200gr WFNGC and 230gr WFNGC
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

The 200gr were from lot #007400, the 230gr from lot #007383. I bought 3 boxes in 2011. I contacted Double Tap last week and they sent one free box of Nosler 200gr jhp (I requested a non-cast load). The email from Rhett McNett, simply said, "thanks for calling it to our attention..we'll send you a box of ammo for your inconvenience. The problem has been taken care of" I am a long time DT customer. This is the first time there has been a significant problem. As someone on the cast boolits forum said, "if something this obvious got past them, who knows what is happening with less obvious probs." (I'm paraphrasing).

BTW. this sort of casting phoobah is caused by casting in a cold mold. Someone else viewing the photos thought that the change of color midway down the case could be from putting the loaded rounds through a resizing die. I am very far from understanding the fine points of ammo loading so, I don't know. I do know that seeing these has me concerned about what I buy from Double Tap.

The replacement ammo (Nosler jhp) NOT look too good, unless the weird stuff inside the hollow point is actually Russian caviar. The 10 Ring

(The fuzzy yellow around the bullet is just some micro fiber cloth that I wrapped the cartridge to help hold it for the picture).
Wow, now that's some CRAP ammo. What is going on with Double Tap? 10mm and .45ACP stuff I've bought from Mike several years ago was above average for factory loadings and a little slower in velocity than advertised, but those castings are crap. Now you wonder what's wrong with the stuff in the case too. I still have some 200 grain WFNGC in10mm that were/are decent. I don't think I'd shoot those though! Quality Control ignored a few too many lots.
Old 02-27-2013, 22:12   #158
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenmonkeysfly View Post
Wow, now that's some CRAP ammo. What is going on with Double Tap?
This should not be a surprise.

Old 02-28-2013, 18:27   #159
RYT 2BER

You know what double tap should probably do....

Close
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37   #160
Andrew Wiggin

As is often the case in business, ego seems to be getting in the way. All he needs to do is issue a lame apology and change the numbers on the box flap. The ammo is still hotter than most, though not as good as Underwood. People would buy his stuff if he wasn't an arrogant jackass. As it is it looks like his company will go under before he cops to what he did.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here: