SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:00   #1
M&P15T
Beard One

Starting To Feel It

I keep trying to get into a good rythm with my work-outs, and experimenting with how much I lift versus how much cardio I do. At 43, I have to pay close attention to what my body tells me, watch how much sleep I get, etc.

Well, I got a nasty cold for close to 2 weeks, so I basically stopped working out for that ammount of time. I swear I put on 5 lbs in that time period.

Anyways, over the last 8 days I have been consistent with my work outs, doing less cardio and more lifting, and keeping it under 60 minutes total. This seems to be working really well, as I feel good, and not wrung out.

I'm pretty sure that at this age my testosterone levels have dropped significantly. But lifting without over-doing things seems to be raising my T levels nicely and naturally.

Just some words of positivity for anyone else that is working hard on their fitness. It feels really good once things start heading in the right direction.

And drink your damn orange juice. For Chrissakes, don't let yourself catch any bugs, it puts a serious damper on things.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02   #2
okie
GT Mayor

Many congrats my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14   #3
M&P15T
Beard One

Thank you Your Honor.

Okie for President 2016
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09   #4
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

You've finally gotten what several have tried to get across in your threads..

Congrats, keep it up. Now as you progress, you'll find your body adapts much more naturally.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 03-03-2013 at 10:11..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17   #5
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Do yourself a big favor and get Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat". It's fascinating and a real eye-opener. Pretty much everything you've been told about diet and exercise is wrong. And not just a little bit wrong. At the very least once you get down to whatever target weight you are going for, you'll be much more likely to keep it off for the long-term. Also you might learn a few things that will help you lose your existing fat more quickly and efficiently.

Last edited by Cybercowboy; 03-03-2013 at 10:18..
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40   #6
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I keep trying to get into a good rythm with my work-outs, and experimenting with how much I lift versus how much cardio I do. At 43, I have to pay close attention to what my body tells me, watch how much sleep I get, etc.

Well, I got a nasty cold for close to 2 weeks, so I basically stopped working out for that ammount of time. I swear I put on 5 lbs in that time period.

Anyways, over the last 8 days I have been consistent with my work outs, doing less cardio and more lifting, and keeping it under 60 minutes total. This seems to be working really well, as I feel good, and not wrung out.

I'm pretty sure that at this age my testosterone levels have dropped significantly. But lifting without over-doing things seems to be raising my T levels nicely and naturally.

Just some words of positivity for anyone else that is working hard on their fitness. It feels really good once things start heading in the right direction.

And drink your damn orange juice. For Chrissakes, don't let yourself catch any bugs, it puts a serious damper on things.

Yep. Have to listen to the body. I've had to adjust what I do as I went from my thirties to my forties. Oh to be 20 something again but to know what we know now...

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-03-2013 at 10:43..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22   #7
ashecht

OP, at 43 you are a relative youngster. I will be 52 in 3 months. I lift at least 3 and usually 4 days/week. While I am certainly not the strongest guy in the gym, I take pride in the fact I am way closer to that than to the weakest guy. I am 6'1" and very skinny at 178 lbs. I can bench 230, curl 100 lbs for 3 sets of 8 on a preacher, and have 11% body fat. I also play tennis every saturday and sunday for 2-3 hours each day. I agree with you though, if I take a few days or a week off for whatever reason, I get paranoid that I am getting fat. Taking time off is not a bad thing though, it lets your body recover and more importantly it lets your mind recover. Congrats and stick with it!
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52   #8
M&P15T
Beard One

So, I'm on a 6 day streak. This morning I just did cardio for 45 minutes, I felt like anymore lifting would be pushing things.

I do believe I will take tomorrow off completely. Plus, it's my first day off from work in 15 days, so I'll enjoy my day to myself. I'll drink a 4-0, and tip a sip for the hotties I'm missing at the gym tomorrow. They are my motivation.

FWIW, a new pretty face showed up at the gym this morning. She was nekked of make-up, but still looked good. She was very skinny, and she had "The Crazy" in her eyes, like that "overly attached girl-friend" chick in the videos. Seriously, hot and crazy is a great pass-time.

This is why I go to the gym.

Last edited by M&P15T; 03-04-2013 at 08:54..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32   #9
Detectorist

Good for you. Short and frequent workouts seem to be right thing for us older guys.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Good for you. Short and frequent workouts seem to be right thing for us older guys.
I would concur.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06   #11
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

Squats and deadlifts are the king for boosting T. Gotta work those big muscle groups. So ditch all those isolation exercises designed to add that extra bump on top of the bicep for a competition bodybuilder and get back to the basics of what make people strong. Presses, pull-ups, and squats.

I find that what slows down as I get older is recovery time. Short intense workouts seem to work better for me as well. Of course, like lots of us, I'm now feeling all the injuries I inflicted on myself when I was younger. Ahh, to be young, elastic, and invincible :P
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37   #12
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Good job, OP.

I'm 39 and started CrossFit three months ago. I definitely listen to my body differently now.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

Yeah, I'm listening to my body. And right now it's telling me it wants a long nap.

On my couch.

At home.

Away from work.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51   #14
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
Squats and deadlifts are the king for boosting T. Gotta work those big muscle groups. So ditch all those isolation exercises designed to add that extra bump on top of the bicep for a competition bodybuilder and get back to the basics of what make people strong. Presses, pull-ups, and squats.
With my knees, I prefer lunges. They really wreck everything below the waist-line. And I'm too fat to do pull-ups, but I work the same muscles on the lat pull-down. And there's no way I'm going to do presses. I want my back and shoulders to be healthy for tennis, not wrecked.

If I did what you suggest, I would be at the gym maybe 3 times a week, with recovery periods in-between, and it would be too hard on certain joints. For me, that's not what works.

But yeah, I feel the T increases. Especially after my lower-body work. Big muscle groups being torn to shreds definitely spurs the T dumps.

Last edited by M&P15T; 03-04-2013 at 11:58..
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57   #15
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
With my knees, I prefer lunges. They really wreck everything below the waist-line. And I'm too fat to do pull-ups, but I work the same muscles on the lat pull-down. And there's no way I'm going to do presses. I want my back and shoulders to be healthy for tennis, not wrecked.

If I did what you suggest, I would be at the gym maybe 3 times a week, with recovery periods in-between, and it would be too hard on certain joints. For me, that's not what works.
I was really happy to have had a sinus infection late last week. After a ton of squatting and box jumps on Monday/Tuesday, my knees appreciated the break.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00   #16
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
I was really happy to have had a sinus infection late last week. After a ton of squatting and box jumps on Monday/Tuesday, my knees appreciated the break.
Nothing like a bug to take the edge of things, eh?

My lower body work is lots of heavy quad extensions, hamstring extensions, then 4 sets of long lunges across the gym until I'm gassed.

It hurts for days. I mean really, really hurts. I walk like I've been gang raped in prison.

If you want the lower-body work-out, with less wear and tear on the knees, try what I described.

Last edited by M&P15T; 03-04-2013 at 12:01..
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02   #17
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
My lower body work is lots of heavy quad extensions, hamstring extensions, then 4 sets of long lunges across the gym until I'm gassed.

It hurts for days. I mean really, really hurts. I walk like I've been gang raped in prison.
If you want to try being gang-raped by Samoans, switch to jumping lunges and jumping air squats. They are what they sound like.

In a lunge, while transitioning to/from each leg, jump into the next position. In air squats, on the ascension do a jump and then descend into the next squat.

It sucks billy goat balls.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13   #18
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
If you want to try being gang-raped by Samoans, switch to jumping lunges and jumping air squats. They are what they sound like.

In a lunge, while transitioning to/from each leg, jump into the next position. In air squats, on the ascension do a jump and then descend into the next squat.

It sucks billy goat balls.
Nope.

I gotta save as much of my knees as possible. I don't doubt what you describe as being great, but it's not for me.

My main focus is lower body strengthening, focused on the major muscle groups and the ligaments/tendons that support the knees. I do a lot of slow, negative resistance focused stuff to work my ligaments and tendons. It's all about lessening osteoarthritis for me, and keeping the supportive ligaments and tendons strong and the joints properly aligned is key.

Once my knees are truly strong and healthy, and I can play longer and stronger on the tennis court, my weight-loss will accelerate.
Old 03-04-2013, 13:52   #19
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Nope.

I gotta save as much of my knees as possible. I don't doubt what you describe as being great, but it's not for me.

My main focus is lower body strengthening, focused on the major muscle groups and the ligaments/tendons that support the knees. I do a lot of slow, negative resistance focused stuff to work my ligaments and tendons. It's all about lessening osteoarthritis for me, and keeping the supportive ligaments and tendons strong and the joints properly aligned is key.

Once my knees are truly strong and healthy, and I can play longer and stronger on the tennis court, my weight-loss will accelerate.
OH, I'm not advocating that crap. Like I said - gang rape by Samoans.

S&W Club - 22227