SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2013, 23:06   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

best free genealogy websites

want to know more about my family history, dont know much before my grandparents. what free geneology websites are efective at this?
Old 02-28-2013, 23:07   #2
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

familysearch.org
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22   #3
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

looks like thats to research one member at a time if you know them, is there one where i can find out who is in my family tree?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50   #4
KeithS
CLM Number 54
Charter Lifetime Member

The first thing to do is to talk with your living older relatives (they will die and their knowledge will be lost), and take notes. The next thing to do is to get a geneology program and enter that information to make sense out of what you have. Then look for a genealogy society from the area in which you live and in where your ancestors lived.

Then, look on the internet, being aware that if the information is not sourced, it must be treated as clues, not facts. People upload data with errors, which people who don't care incorporate into their own, thus perpetuating the misinformation.

If you get serious about this, it will become very time consuming to review the documentation found on the internet (census images, birth certificates, death certificates, land grants, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
want to know more about my family history, dont know much before my grandparents. what free geneology websites are efective at this?
KeithS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59   #5
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Genealogy??!!......sorry....I still keep mixing that up with something else...that sounds a little similar....

Can understand why there's no pictures now......
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14   #6
JBnTX
None

I fell for this crap, paid good money and found absolutely nothing about my family's history.

Unless someone in your family has already uploaded your history, you're better off doing a public records search yourself, independent of any "genealogy website".
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21   #7
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

one problem is my grandfather was never close to his parents, they sent him off to boarding schools and he never had contact with them once an adult. So i have no idea what went on there.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31   #8
KeithS
CLM Number 54
Charter Lifetime Member

His birth certificate, if he had one, will have the parents' names. There may be records from the boarding school which will likely have names. Death certificates (some states) will have parents' names. Census images (over 90 years ago) may show a path backwards. It takes time and effort.

Google "Cindi's List" (290,000 links)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
one problem is my grandfather was never close to his parents, they sent him off to boarding schools and he never had contact with them once an adult. So i have no idea what went on there.

Last edited by KeithS; 03-03-2013 at 09:34.. Reason: added
KeithS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58   #9
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
His birth certificate, if he had one, will have the parents' names. There may be records from the boarding school which will likely have names. Death certificates (some states) will have parents' names. Census images (over 90 years ago) may show a path backwards. It takes time and effort.

Google "Cindi's List" (290,000 links)
Good info. To many of the internet sites may give you clues but no documentation to prove that is your real family member. It takes digging and real sleuth work in most families. My dad didn't seem to know much about his family. After a couple cousins and myself started looking and found some pictures and different information in court houses and libraries it all fell into place. When I showed my dad what we found all of a sudden he opened up and started remembering many things. If there are any old family bibles check them since many of our grandparents recorded marriages, births and deaths in bibles.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 03-03-2013 at 10:00..
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20   #10
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

It usually starts with Birth and Marriage Records. Then you can find cities, counties and surnames and begin sleuthing. Some states/counties offer free database searches. Some don't- like most all of Illinois, who have realized the profit potential for selling copies of certificates of importance. Cemetery records are often available free and findagrave.com has a ton of free info that really surprised me.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:52   #11
KentuckyPatriot
No BS Here!

To sum it up, you will have to do the work yourself unless you hire a professional genealogist.

The work is not really all that hard, it is more time consuming than anything else. As stated, begin talking to ALL of your relatives and gleaning what you can from them while they are alive...start with the old ones!

Many moons ago I wanted to search my roots, now I have some of my lines back to the 1500's, and in a couple cases back to the 1200's because a person was tied to a royal line. Population was less dense and families intermarried for convenience and power.

It is a fun ride...hand on and enjoy it. I have a couple scoundrels and many who fought in the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Pension records and warrants, and land records are interesting reading.

Good luck. if you need help I would be happy to offer suggestions to get you going.

Gen 4: G22, G27; Gen 3: G23, G26, G30s
J-Frames: Model 60 and M&P 340; S&W Bodyguard 380 x 2
KentuckyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote