Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:31   #1
wallyglock

trading my subaru... help me to select a car

98 outback i have now is probably going to go it is in very good condition but i want a newer car to retire with .

looking at other subaru's in the 2005-20010 year range . some are pricy , some are reasonable . havent made a move yet , but by spring i will.

like to stay with the subaru brand. like the awd and quality of the car . that said , the one thing i DO NOT like is the gas mileage . thinking of maybe a honda civic possibly or ?

is there a wise choice for me in the $9000-$12000 range for good quality AND good mileage ? we are talking at least 34 mpg on the highway

would anyone reccomend any of the ford products , fusion or the smaller ford ( cant think of the name)

how about the chevy cobolt or one of the other chevies ? or a volkswagon brand . dont know much about them but know the disiel is hi mpg OR the toyota hybrid

i do put quality FIRST but as the gas continues to rise i am thinking hard on the purchase
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57   #2
Teddy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyglock View Post
98 outback i have now is probably going to go it is in very good condition but i want a newer car to retire with .

looking at other subaru's in the 2005-20010 year range . some are pricy , some are reasonable . havent made a move yet , but by spring i will.

like to stay with the subaru brand. like the awd and quality of the car . that said , the one thing i DO NOT like is the gas mileage . thinking of maybe a honda civic possibly or ?

is there a wise choice for me in the $9000-$12000 range for good quality AND good mileage ? we are talking at least 34 mpg on the highway

would anyone reccomend any of the ford products , fusion or the smaller ford ( cant think of the name)

how about the chevy cobolt or one of the other chevies ? or a volkswagon brand . dont know much about them but know the disiel is hi mpg OR the toyota hybrid

i do put quality FIRST but as the gas continues to rise i am thinking hard on the purchase
The new Subie XV Crosstrek is a nice looking ride, a good balance of space, functionality (AWD), and MPG but it looks like it a little out of your budget.

I have a 2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE and love it, and it gets 32-36 on the highway, but I'm a little envious of my co-worker getting 55mpg with his 2011 TDI, of course there was approximately a $5k-$7k difference in price between mine and a TDI and that was second hand. For how much I drive, I could buy a lot of gasoline for that.
Teddy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00   #3
snubfan
Giant Member

I have a buddy that is 70 and semiretired. He works 2 days a week shuttling cars for the auto auction. His wife drives their "good car" and he tootles around in a late model Honda Civic that he found while driving for the auction and loves it. He keeps it maintained well, his gas bill is under $80 a month, no car payment because he paid cash and minimal insurance.

He was always one to have a newer nicer vehicle and wishes he would have done something like this years ago because of all the money he could have saved in monthly transportation costs.

Last edited by snubfan; 03-03-2013 at 09:04..
snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:05   #4
WIMPY

The 2013 Consumers Report Car Guide just came out. Always some good info in there.
WIMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36   #5
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
I have been busting on my Dad for a few years that there is no real reason for a Subaru to get the OK mileage they do. He argued that it is due to the AWD.

I showed him an ad for the 2013 Impreza and said, "I told you so." I don't know your finances, but given the costs of financing new vs. used, the difference in insurance costs, maintenance costs, and fuel costs, you might come out ahead with the new one.

My Mom has worked in an auto service department since before I was born and her concern is having a freshly paid off, new car when she retires in order to minimize her auto costs during retirement. She said she sees too many people who can't afford to get their car fixed.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39   #6
HarleyGuy

My little 4-cyl, 5 spd Pontiac Vibe just turned 150,000 miles this week and it still runs like it did when it was new.

Any vehicle will eventually need repair but the more complicated the vehicle, the more likely it is to need repairs somewhere down the road.

Personally, I try to stay away from turbocharged and supercharged engines. They run great, but they are expensive to repair when they breakdown.

THe same goes for diesel engines but they do seem to last longer that gasoline engines.

It is a good time to buy a vehicle if you need one and can afford it and even the lease (10,000 miles per year) deals are hard to beat. I saw an ad for a Chevy Traverse LT for $169 per month (didn't see the down payment) and that's hard to beat.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12   #7
Ferdinandd

You mentioned the Civic. I have an 07 coupe 5-speed. I commute 290 miles a week; mostly 2-lane highways and mixed driving. I consistently get 33-34mpg. On the interstate, it averages 37-39. The car handles well, has low maintenance costs so far, and I really like the 5-speed. I recommend the Civic.

The Impreza looks interesting too, but I don't know much about them.
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:59   #8
supersammy

I have 280,000 miles on a 2002 subaru forester with only basic maintenance done (oil/filter, brakes, tires, timing belt). Previous car was a audi with 180k miles and I dont recommend them because parts are not available at most auto part stores. I had good luck with a toyota corolla 260k miles before rust took its life.

subaru gets 25MPG which sucks for a car its size, but I have never been stuck in snow. The thing is a tank in bad weather!
supersammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:41   #9
wallyglock

thaks ...

no , it for sure WILL NOT be a new car .....but in the year & description i mentioned .

the subaru is still in the running , and the honda civic maybe in the years from 2005-2010 is a nice ride .

the civic .... do any of them come with fog lights ? have looked at numerous ones , mostly 4 door ones , on the net and have not found one with fog lights .

the subaru comes pretty much loaded ... fog lights , heated seats & the list is long .
didnt think i ever needed a car with heated seats but they do spoil you !
anything you can comment on the civic is good . never owned one and have only driven one older model
Old 03-03-2013, 16:49   #10
Stock Perfection

For what it's worth, my friend who is an older fella, has an Oldsmobile Bravada. They are no longer produced, but are just old enough that you could probobly get a parts car as well. You just can't get that thing stuck. It's incredible. I'm not sure of the mpg, but he drives it all over the country with no complaints.
That Subaru your selling is like gold in south west Montana.
Good luck!
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:22   #11
Jim in MI

I say get another Subaru (my wife has an Outback)

Compare the MPG to other 4WD and AWD cars, SUV's, and pickups, not little front wheel drive cars.

My wife and kids in a full time AWD is worth the tire wear and MPG to me.
Jim in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:32   #12
sappy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in MI View Post
I say get another Subaru (my wife has an Outback)

Compare the MPG to other 4WD and AWD cars, SUV's, and pickups, not little front wheel drive cars.

My wife and kids in a full time AWD is worth the tire wear and MPG to me.
What do you really gain with a full time awd car on the street? IV never owned one, I have just never had an issue with fwd or rwd vehicles.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:34   #13
Gregg702
Gold Membership

You will hate going from AWD to FWD, I say stay with a Scoobie. Maybe look for an Impreza hatch(preferably from before they put in the CVT transmission) in the newest year you can afford.
Old 03-03-2013, 17:35   #14
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
What do you really gain with a full time awd car on the street? IV never owned one, I have just never had an issue with fwd or rwd vehicles.

Increased stability even on dry pavement, and no torque steer with more powerful engines.
Old 03-03-2013, 17:37   #15
rover4x4

I've been able to get 32 in an 06 legacy sedAn. I have a 97 civic I really dislike it.
Old 03-03-2013, 17:38   #16
Gonzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post

Taking wet turns like it's on rails. Taking snowy turns much better than fwd or rwd.

AWD is awesome. You really have to try to break the tires loose on an awd Subaru.

I mean if you drive slow as hell and never go out in bad weather perhaps you won't notice anything.

As someone who enjoys driving my Subaru is fun as heck!

I have an 04 impreza outback sport in 5 speed.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:41   #17
silversport

look at Subaru's latest mileage figures...they have seemingly found more miles to the gallon (ditched the 4 speed auto)...from their auto trans...6 speed or CVT...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13   #18
DanaT
Pharaoh

On one thread, I vowed to answer "what kind of a car should I get with particular answers.

So, it seems you are asking about "what sedan should I buy"

Simple.

The Okie Corral
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20   #19
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyglock View Post

looking at other subaru's in the 2005-20010 year range
Well, that's an 18,005 year range, so there should be a lot of options!

But, on a more serious note, Subaru drastically changed the design of the Outback for the 2010, for the better IMHO.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40   #20
S9Man

My car is a 2001 Toyota Corolla that I bought with 107K on it 6 1\2 years ago. She now has 281K on it with no major problems, just typical wear items. Just this winter a small amount of rust is showing up in front of the rear passenger wheel well. I've always had good luck with Toyotas.

Last edited by S9Man; 03-04-2013 at 07:40..
S9Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52   #21
utah

Subaru has a new Impreza (think this is correct model) that gets a claimed 35mpg...still has AWD.
Old 03-05-2013, 00:11   #22
SLO1911Fan

As part of my job I load and unload new factory and personal cars from the auto ships in the harbor.

The 3 cars I've been looking into after driving them are a Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Forester, and surprisingly the Toyota Yaris.

The jeep doesn't fit your budget or requirements.

The Subarus both new and used seem to hold up exceptionally well and I've always been impressed with them. Nice interior, good options, decent horsepower, AWD, ok gas mileage...

The one I'm looking at the hardest though is the Yaris. I was shocked when I drove it because it looks like a tiny car, but it is actually roomy. I'm 6' 260lbs, 6'1" in the boots we have to wear and I felt like it had more room inside than the Mazda Tribute I used to drive. It's not far outside your budget for a new one. If you live somewhere with more than a little snow during the winter I probably would look elsewhere, but if not I highly recommend it.
SLO1911Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 00:37   #23
goldenlight

If I was in your shoes, I would go for a nice Honda Civic, for several reasons.

There are FAR more Civics on the road, so finding a nice one in your price range, with the equipment you want, Should be much easier and quicker.

The Honda Civic gets vastly better mileage than the Subaru. Let's face it: the price of gasoline isn't going to be going down in the future. In five years, it could easily be close to or at $5/gallon, all the time, everywhere, or perhaps even more per gallon.

You will appreciate the much higher mileage of the Civic as time goes by.

Insurance on the Honda Civic is cheaper than on a Subaru. Not a lot of money, but it all adds up if you keep it for 10 years, give or take.

Collision repair parts are cheaper for a Civic, contributing to its lower insurance cost, again because there are a LOT of them on the road. Body shops work on them all the time. Every car has some quirks. The body shops know EVERY one for repairing a Civic, should you need collision repair.

Aftermarket parts are cheaper for the Civic. Again, because there are millions of them on the road. When you need to replace an alternator or starter, it will be cheaper on the Civic. Same for brakes and shock absorbers. Not a huge amount of money, but it all adds up to the cost of owning the car.

You will probably find that having work done on a Civic is cheaper than on a Subaru. The boxter engine on a Subaru puts things where they are harder to get to. Also, EVERY mechanic who works on foreign cars knows how to do almost everything on a Honda Civic.

This will make it easier to find a really small non dealer repair facility for your Honda, and it will make maintenance and routine repair a bit cheaper.

Because Honda Civics are such popular cars, you will find it a little easier to sell, when the time comes. Even if you sell it just for parts, there will be somebody who wants it.

Once you are retired, you will find that you don't HAVE to go anywhere when the roads are really snow covered. Lets face it: it's really only a few days each year that you REALLY need the 4 wheel drive, because snow has fallen overnight, and hasn't been plowed yet. When you are retired, you just stay home those days, 99.5% of the time.

I've been driving front wheel drive Japanese cars for over 30 years, where we get 55 inches of snow every winter. I've NEVER been gotten stuck in any of my front wheel drive cars.

I exercise reasonable care when driving in snow. If you look at the news after a big snow storm, where there are lots of accidents and spinouts, you'll see that MOST of the vehicles in the ditch, or that lose control, are 4 wheel drive SUV's

People get overconfident, driving them. They can drive through anything, the owners will tell you. But, when you are driving at 55 MPH on 3 inches of packed and loose snow, you can stop better in a small front wheel drive car, than you can with a larger, heavier 4 wheel drive vehicle.

This is one of the reasons why insurance is more expensive on 4 wheel drive vehicles, compared to 2 wheel drive vehicles. They get in more accidents. I ran into this when I was looking at new cars and SUV's the last time I bought a new car. Even for vehicles which cost almost the same amount of money, the SUV's, including the Subaru's I was looking at, cost significantly more to insure.

I went with a front wheel drive car. I'm sure glad I did, because on 2005 when i bough my car, gasoline cost about $1.75. About 6 weeks later, Katrina hit, and the price of gasoline went to $2.75. By 2008, gasoline what $4/gallon.

I'd be really unhappy if my car was only getting 20MPG.

Good luck in your search for a new vehicle.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23   #24
wallyglock

thanks to all

as of now i am still looking at the subaru cars AND am considering the honda civic also.

i simply dont know much about the civic , except all who have had one generally give them high marks .

the subaru , in the years i am looking at , and most of their models , come pretty well loaded . that is a mark in their favor .

bit off sitting that is the honda would be easier on gas .

would like to have the fog lamps as an option . what models , if any , in the civic have factory fog lights ?

any more info you all have IS appreciated .
no hurry to buy , but it is tax time for the dealers and some are starting to offer some pretty good buys !
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34   #25
Gonzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
look at Subaru's latest mileage figures...they have seemingly found more miles to the gallon (ditched the 4 speed auto)...from their auto trans...6 speed or CVT...

Bill
MY dad just got a 2013 Impreza, he gets between 32 and 35 mpg, depending on how he drives. I've driven his and I own an 04 impreza.

The new one is nice. They seem to be made more efficiently in terms of the room inside the car.

The new ones have a 2.0 instead of a 2.5, which means they're a little less powerful. This is noticeable driving them but not too bad, and the 6 speed trans helps with gas mileage. My old man sold out and got an automatic.

It does have paddle shifters on the steering wheel and semi-manual mode so it's not all bad.