SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2013, 14:43   #26
FLGatorFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
I don't really spend money needlessly, I guess i'm still young enough to be working down my list of 'needs' as far as materialistic things go.

My spending habits haven't changed a bit over the last few years. Eat as little as I can get away with, ration my gas to the bare minimum possible, and acquire the tools and books I need to earn and learn what I need to know.

The only indiscretion I allow myself are cigarettes, and there is no cap on how much I allow myself to spend on them since government at all levels seems to use us to make up budget shortfalls.

Otherwise though, it's all needs. Don't have a tv, or any video games or anything, no movie collection, etc... Don't buy music or cd's anymore. Been a long time since i've been into music.

No toys or anything - run my vehicles into the ground until the cost of maintenance overshadows the cost of replacement.

I guess there are a lot of things that 'I would like' or 'would be cool to have' but I have too long a list yet of things i've determined I need before I can get to that stuff.

So, no, the economy hasn't impacted my spending habits in the slightest.
This level of discipline is admirable. What is it that you are working toward?
FLGatorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:00   #27
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorFan View Post
This level of discipline is admirable. What is it that you are working toward?
A healthy level of skill in a variety of trades, the marriage coming my way, and the children i've yet to have.

I got this idea in my head a little over a decade ago that I didn't want to have kids until I had a certain level of knowledge to pass on to the next generation. I think it was when I realized just how much my father taught me to prepare me for what life would be like after high school.

I'm getting close to being ready to start a family, and when my children are growing up I want to be able to teach them how to have the discipline to see things through and the skills they will need to do so.

From what I was taught at home while I was growing up, I learned that it really is a parents responsibility to equip their children with the base of what they will need to be successful throughout life. The materialistic 'stuff' isn't really part of that. Knowledge is what is most important, and the refined skill of using it is something you only gain from experience.

I feel the biggest mark I can leave is to pass on what I know to the next generation I help create - movie trivia and gaming skills just don't measure up to that goal in my opinion.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:03   #28
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Well if that's your goal, good for you!

No sarcasm, I sincerely mean it.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:10   #29
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
From what I was taught at home while I was growing up, I learned that it really is a parents responsibility to equip their children with the base of what they will need to be successful throughout life.
As GNG reflects a slice of Americana, "parental responsibility" probably reflects a minority opinion here. Kudos to you.

My small piece of parental advise is this: You are the parent. You are not their friend. You can be friendly, but you are not their friend. Not until they're 25 or so, anyway.

Good luck!

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 03-03-2013 at 15:12..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:57   #30
Ragin Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
I'd put an offer into the owner of some land that adjoins my land. It's too small a lot to build on by itself (anbout 1/2 acre, so kinda' useless to him, but if put with my land would be an ideal place to build a 3 car garage. Bad thing is he knows this and he's got me by the short hairs. I'd pay 10K, but he most likely wants twice that.

Guess I'll never know until I ask......
ASK him what he will take for the land. He mak want less than you think.

RC