Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:24   #1
greggh

Glock 19 Malfunctions

I purchased a new G19 from a dealer and when I took it to the range and fired, I experienced a large number of malfunctions. I was using Remington UMC 115 grain rounds and had 54 of 250 malfunctions. I sent the gun back to GLOCK, they fired 50 rounds thru it (115g) and said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I've read a few threads here and locked the slide back and will leave it for a few days. I'm interested to know about possible remedies, known issues and should I just consider a higher grain bullet. Thanks in advance.
greggh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24   #2
roadgrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggh View Post
I purchased a new G19 from a dealer and when I took it to the range and fired, I experienced a large number of malfunctions. I was using Remington UMC 115 grain rounds and had 54 of 250 malfunctions. I sent the gun back to GLOCK, they fired 50 rounds thru it (115g) and said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I've read a few threads here and locked the slide back and will leave it for a few days. I'm interested to know about possible remedies, known issues and should I just consider a higher grain bullet. Thanks in advance.

If you don't keep your wrist firm you will have malfunctions. The gun is good to go out of the box. Malfunctions increase with the addition of modifications. Go shoot the crap out of it and see if a firm wrist doesn't fix it.
roadgrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 00:56   #3
Glotin

You're limpwristing it.

Apart from that, you might be suffering from the RSA issues others have had with their Gen 4 G19.

A quick search will yield answers.

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 14:14   #4
S281SC

These guns are NOT good to go out of the box. Actually greggh you are probably doing nothing wrong at all. I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 19 3 weeks ago. I took it shooting this weekend. I had 21 malfuctions in 5 magazines. I was using 3 different types of high quality ammo. I also had two other guys shoot it, just to make sure I wasn't interfering with the weapon. I called the Glock technicians and there is a G23 spring installed in my weapon and the wrong ejector in my weapon. Look on the ejector, if it has the serial number 336, call the technician line and get them to send you the new ejector. The new ejector should have the number 30274 on it. Also, make sure your RSA has the number 043 stamped on it.

I know there are a lot of guys that swear by the reliability of a Glock, but mine is nothing but a paper weight until I get these parts in. I was so mad at the end of my range session that I wanted to pin the Glock to the target and shoot it with my SIG.

Check your spring and ejector and see if those are the issue. I guarantee that is the problem. Limpwristing it has nothing to do with it. Good luck!

Last edited by S281SC; 12-19-2011 at 15:08..
S281SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 14:38   #5
tim12232
Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
These guns are NOT good to go out of the box. Actually greggh you are probably doing nothing wrong at all. I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 19 3 weeks ago. I took it shooting this weekend. I had 21 malfuctions in 5 magazines. I was using 3 different types of high quality ammo. I also had two other guys shoot it, just to make sure I wasn't interfering with the weapon. I called the Glock technicians and there is a G33 spring installed in my weapon and the wrong ejector in my weapon. Look on the ejector, if it has the serial number 336, call the technician line and get them to send you the new ejector. The new ejector should have the number 30274 on it. Also, make sure your RSA has the number 043 stamped on it.

I know there are a lot of guys that swear by the reliability of a Glock, but mine is nothing but a paper weight until I get these parts in. I was so mad at the end of my range session that I wanted to pin the Glock to the target and shoot it with my SIG.

Check your spring and ejector and see if those are the issue. I guarantee that is the problem. Limpwristing it has nothing to do with it. Good luck!
I sure would like to know how you got a g33 rsa in your glock19? being it doesnt even fit into the gun, and Im sure the final assembler is not going to let that slip buy... Also the ejector 336 is the part not serial number, it has been used in glocks for a number of years, not just the gen4's. I have a box stock G19 gen4 with the exeption of night sights and the gun has been flawless pass the first 50 break in rounds. I know there have been some issues, but try to speak intelligently about your issues and not just quote numbers and random bad information.
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 14:45   #6
alabaster
Swollen Member

Quote:

Where does it say it's a Gen4? It could be Remi ammo. I've had nothing but nightmares with them as of late. I have a customer last week with a case splitting in his buckmark. Pass on Remi ammo IMO, even if it is something else.
Old 12-19-2011, 14:48   #7
ctrcs

Greg, I just took mine out for the first time and had many malfunctions and was hit in the head with the ejections. I also have the wrong spring and ejector and E-mailed Glock to see what they can do. Good luck.

Never had this problem with my Sig or Kahr, but will keep an open mind since it is a new model and I just contacted Glock.
ctrcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 14:50   #8
alabaster
Swollen Member

Daaaaaang. I'm glad all my GLOCKs are Gen3s. I just sold a 32c this morning. Another Gen3, of course. I feel so bad for people who have problems with Gs. Seems tat was the whole reason I bought 'em in the first place!
Old 12-19-2011, 15:08   #9
S281SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
I sure would like to know how you got a g33 rsa in your glock19? being it doesnt even fit into the gun, and Im sure the final assembler is not going to let that slip buy... Also the ejector 336 is the part not serial number, it has been used in glocks for a number of years, not just the gen4's. I have a box stock G19 gen4 with the exeption of night sights and the gun has been flawless pass the first 50 break in rounds. I know there have been some issues, but try to speak intelligently about your issues and not just quote numbers and random bad information.

Please sir, try not to get your panties in a twist. The glock tech told me this, it's not bad info. Just because your G19 is awesome doesn't mean mine is. You are lucky, I am not.

I could say the same thing about my SIG 229 DAK, it has been flawless through 6000 rounds. I have seen those malfunction too. The bottom line is not all weapons are manufactured the same, and some crap does slip through.

Last edited by S281SC; 12-19-2011 at 15:12..
S281SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 17:55   #10
JFizzlestein

So does anyone know if the 0-4-3 Spring and the 30274 Ejector solves the issues? Cause either I am going to buy the Glock 19 gen 4 or an XDM 9mm 3.8 compact.....
JFizzlestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 23:08   #11
stratjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFizzlestein View Post
So does anyone know if the 0-4-3 Spring and the 30274 Ejector solves the issues? Cause either I am going to buy the Glock 19 gen 4 or an XDM 9mm 3.8 compact.....
My new 19 Gen 4 with a test fire date of 12/7/2011 has the new ejector and the new spring. It's had 400 rounds of cheap PMC, Rem UMC and WWB and although the ejection pattern is not perfect, it's had zero stoppages. The ejection issues are not nearly as bad as most reports but have had a few up and over lefts and a few to the forehead. YMMV as some report zero issues at all.
stratjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31   #12
JFizzlestein

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratjb View Post
My new 19 Gen 4 with a test fire date of 12/7/2011 has the new ejector and the new spring. It's had 400 rounds of cheap PMC, Rem UMC and WWB and although the ejection pattern is not perfect, it's had zero stoppages. The ejection issues are not nearly as bad as most reports but have had a few up and over lefts and a few to the forehead. YMMV as some report zero issues at all.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I think I've made up my mind and should be picking up my new Glock 19 gen 4 next week. Now pretty much my quest is to find one with the new parts and a test fire date in December or later.
JFizzlestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 14:12   #13
Pop Smoke

Quote:

G, could you get a little more specific with your post? Typically if Glock cannot reproduce the problem it's a user input problem. But I have had firearms come back problem-free from manufacturers and have the same problem exist on the first range visit following its return.

What generation is your pistol? Gen 4's should be obvious as they have the user changeable back strap.

Did it seem like the slide was not coming back far enough to clear the rear of the magazine, resulting in a failure to feed? If so and if it's a Gen4, you might be one of the folks that fall within Glock's recalled batch where the spring and guide rod assemblies were replaced on the 19's.

I have a pair of 19's (one stock, one EXO, both Gen3) and I've run subsonic, WWB 115 grain, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, Remington bulk hollow points, Remington UMC, CCI Blazer, and PMC Bronze through them without a hiccup, unless I've done something wrong in my grip. Heck, I've even used Lone Wolf and Storm Lake barrels as well as a suppressor mounted to both of my 19's without issues.

Did you experience a lot of failures to eject?
Did you experience a lot of failures to extract?
Either of those could be related to an extractor issue.

When I had my Glock 30, my FTE's (both types) were related to an extractor issue. Took it to a certified Glock armorer and he corrected the problem rather quickly.

Humor me on this if you would.
Next time you take it to the range, get extreme with your grip and stance. See if this will correct the problem. Make 100% sure your pistol is cleaned and properly lubricated BEFORE you go to the range. (rule that out for a reason)

Square your feet and shoulders with the target. Spread your feet shoulder-width apart. Bend over slightly at the waist (don't roll up off your heels). Extend from the shoulder to the wrist, locking the elbows and wrists completely out. Be sure you don't get excessive with the grip and stance as you can grip too tightly and cut off the circulation in your hands and arms. Make sure you don't drop your head to your arms, bring the gun sights to your up to your eyes.

This has been successful for me in the past when solving FTF and some FTE problems for students in the past. That doesn't mean it works for a firearm with mechanical problems.

Last edited by Pop Smoke; 01-28-2012 at 14:17..
Pop Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33   #14
peace2my9

A week ago today I bought my first gun a Gen 4 G19. It was test fired 9/2011. It has the 043 spring and the 336 ejector.

My 1st range day I used 100 rounds of American Eagle 115gr. On the 47th shot I had a stove pipe. I did have erratic ejections (to the left, straight up and toward my face) This would become a recurring issue so I'll focus on the failures.

2nd range day I used 200 rounds of American Eagle 115gr and no failures.

3rd Range day I fired 185 rounds total. 130 Winchester White Box 115gr with one FTE resulting in a double feed. 50 Tula with no failures even though this is pretty ****ty ammo. 5 Hydrashok 135gr just to test my defense ammo. I will say that there were no erratic ejections within those 5 Hydrashok rounds but perhaps that is too small of a sample.

4th Range day I fired 170 rounds of WWB. 1 FTE resulting in a double feed. I showed the brass to the guy at the shop/range and said it was probably a bad round p because other than the dent caused by the round pushing in behind it looked fine.

So 655 rounds. 3 FTEs with one stove pipe. My FTEs with the WWB were not stove pipes but rather the empty was sitting parallel to the slide, facing forward and halfway out of the ejection port holding it open with the next round in the barrel.

After my 3rd range day I called Glock and they suggested I use 147gr CCI as that is what they use. They also told me to have my Certified Glock Armorer call them with my serial number and they will send a 30274 ejector to him so he can install it. I did that and I am waiting for the part.

I’m going to wait until I get the new ejector put in to go back to the range.

Should I lock the slide open like the OP had mentioned?

Should I use 124gr ammo until I get to 1000 rounds?

Also while cleaning my gun I noticed some wear marks on the RSA and sometimes it moves around where it is seated. Meaning when I put it in correctly then rack the slide a few times it seems to move out of position a little. Not enough to move out of position completely but enough that there is some play. Is this normal?

Sorry to hijack this thread but rather than create a new one I thought I’d post my experience here.

Thanks,

Peace
peace2my9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:29   #15
alabaster
Swollen Member

How can you tell it's moved? Are you disassembling the piece again? When you say it moved, can you explain that in a little more detail as well as how you noticed it moved(Since it seems almost impossible IME to check that with the slide still installed)?

edit: Sorry for partaking in a threadjack.

Last edited by alabaster; 02-04-2012 at 14:29..
alabaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:50   #16
lethal tupperwa

the notch you put the rsa in to assemble is the assembly notch.

Take it apart and it will not be there.

To reassemble you must put it back in the assembly notch.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:05   #17
Pop Smoke

Eat my frigging words! My G19 EXO started having this exact problem yesterday at the range. I'm not happy at all about seeing cases flip straight up, in my face, off to the left, and hardly ever to the right with any kind of force.
Pop Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 16:52   #18
alabaster
Swollen Member

Gotcha lethal tupperwa. I hope you all get these guns up and running right.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:27   #19
Castros Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFizzlestein View Post
My new Gen4 has all of these new items in it. I took it to the range for the first time yesterday and shot 150 rounds of WWB and Tula ammo and it was flawless. No FTE's No jams. It was awesome!
Castros Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 22:41   #20
AA#5

UMC is crap. It's the only ammo that constantly malfunctions in my Uzi (which has never malfunctioned in over 24,000 rounds.) I was at the range a few weeks back & my buddy's Mod. 19 (older model) malfunctioned twice in 100 rounds with UMC. He expressed concern, until I handed him 100 rounds of my handloads which functioned perfectly.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40   #21
alabaster
Swollen Member

+1. I wont buy Remington ANYTHING anymore. It started with ammo, went to the 700, and now encompasses everything they make. Hopefully they'll get back on track. They certainly have the ability, I think they just got to resting on their laurels and making some bad decisions around the 700, I Believe because it's the bread and butter of Big Green.
Old 03-03-2013, 14:20   #22
Cheri81

i just got my new Glock 19 (supposed to be a gen 3 but not sure now) and it shot fine for my husband but all 3 mags i shot would either FTF or FTE

it was like shoot-clear-shoot-shoot-clear-shoot-duck shell in face-shoot-jam-shoot-jam-shoot-shoot-slide fail to lock back after last shot

I am sure it is me since he had no issues but still i have never been so disappointed and frustrated with any firearm in my life it just sucked the fun right out of my Sunday Shooting Time I didn't even get my other guns out after that just took my stuff and left

and with 9mm ammo so scarce i didn't want to keep wasting it on a bad day

If anyone has ANY suggestions what i may have been doing wrong please help me out or i am liable to pin it to the target and pepper it with the Hi-Point 40 that NEVER fails and only cost me $149 rather than $549 for a gun i am quickly learning to hate
Cheri81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 22:08   #23
Bama15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
These guns are NOT good to go out of the box. Actually greggh you are probably doing nothing wrong at all. I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 19 3 weeks ago. I took it shooting this weekend. I had 21 malfuctions in 5 magazines. I was using 3 different types of high quality ammo. I also had two other guys shoot it, just to make sure I wasn't interfering with the weapon. I called the Glock technicians and there is a G23 spring installed in my weapon and the wrong ejector in my weapon. Look on the ejector, if it has the serial number 336, call the technician line and get them to send you the new ejector. The new ejector should have the number 30274 on it. Also, make sure your RSA has the number 043 stamped on it

I just got mt Glock 19 4th Gen and had not one malfunction!! I hear all these people say they are getting hit when gun ejects. Not a problem with that either. I was worried about the ejecting problem but mine ran like a scalded dog!! GLOCK there is no substitute. I was only shooting 115gr ammo also.. Which I have heard from people causes many malfunctions. I am more than happy with mine. Bought Sig Sauer 40 also and it rand flawlessly too!!

Last edited by Bama15; 05-11-2013 at 22:10..
Bama15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 18:02   #24
Bama15

I bought my Glock 19 Gen 4 & have had no problems!! I have only shot 115 grain cheap ammo & no ejections even coming close to my head. I read all these post & almost did not get it!! My friend bought a sig. So I was going to do the same. I thought I will stick with the Glock. I LOVE IT!!! So glad I did not change my mind!!
Bama15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 21:38   #25
BobPistol

I have a Glock 19, purchased new. Had some initial problems, stovepipes, FTF's. After improving my grip and shooting 1000+ rounds to break it in, it rocks without incident. Great solid gun.

Maybe you need to break it in.

Last edited by BobPistol; 06-23-2013 at 21:38..
BobPistol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g19, malfunctions